Author Topic: Since it is in season...favorite squash?  (Read 1557 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Since it is in season...favorite squash?
« on: October 05, 2007, 08:57:49 PM »
Looking at all the squash at the store, I was pleased to see my favorite...spaghetti squash.

I slice it half, scoop out seeds and then roast till tender.  Using a fork, I scrape it into a bowl.

In a sauce pan, I place half stick of butter and cook on medium till browned.  Then I pour it over the squash with some freshly grated parmasean cheese.  Toss and serve.

Yum!

What is your favorite squash and how do you like to prepare it?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Since it is in season...favorite squash?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:17:52 PM »
Stuffed Yellow Squash for two

Makes 2 servings

Prep time: 5-10 minutes

Cooking time: about 30 minutes

2 medium (about 6 ounces each) yellow squash (or other summer squash)
teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
2 tablespoons instant minced onion
4 round buttery crackers (like Ritz), crushed
Paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Have ready microwavable and regular oven baking dishes, or a dish that can be used in both ovens.  Cut squash in half lengthwise.  Place cut sides up in a microwavable baking dish, with thick ends toward edges.  Sprinkle with salt.  Add 2 tablespoons water to dish.  Cover with lid or vented plastic wrap.  Microwave on high (100 percent power) 5 to 7 minutes, rotating dish a half turn once, until squash is tender when pierced.

Let stand until cool enough to handle.  With a small spoon, scoop the flesh from the shell into a small bowl, leaving thin shell.  Add 1 tablespoon butter, the onion, and the cracker crumbs to the bowl with the squash and mash together with a fork until well-blended.

Stuff into the squash shells.  Arrange in oven baking dish.  Dot with remaining 1 tablespoon butter and sprinkle with paprika.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes until hot.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:55:34 PM »
People voluntarily eat squash????  :P

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 09:24:07 AM »
Yep!  I love it properly prepared.

I just got a book about Vegetables and how they are cooked so often incorrectly.

This book takes each vegetable and tries all the different cooking methods and tell you what is right or wrong about each one.  Like some cooking methods will make brussel sprouts horribly bitter, but others will transform it to nutty perfection.  Ever since I got that book, I have eaten all sorts of veggies that I would eat even it was the only food in the world. Like fennel.  Now I love it!

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »
Yep!  I love it properly prepared.

I just got a book about Vegetables and how they are cooked so often incorrectly.

This book takes each vegetable and tries all the different cooking methods and tell you what is right or wrong about each one.  Like some cooking methods will make brussel sprouts horribly bitter, but others will transform it to nutty perfection.  Ever since I got that book, I have eaten all sorts of veggies that I would eat even it was the only food in the world. Like fennel.  Now I love it!

What book is that?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 10:22:13 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Vegetables-Part-Best-Recipe/dp/0936184698

Here is a link to it.

It is awesome book, well written and concise.  I also especially like the fact it has excerpts sprinkled throughout that covers things like Oyster Sauce, how it is made and how to use in cooking etc.

I have an older edition, this seems to be the "latest" one.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 11:29:52 AM »
People voluntarily eat squash????  :P

I never liked squash until I had it in a restaurant in NY once.

It had cream and butter. It had brown sugar. It had BRANDY.

I could have told them to take back the entree, and just keep bringing me the squash. So yes, properly prepared, it can be delicious.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:39:56 PM »
I love butternut squash mashed with a little butter and salt.  Sometimes I'll add a little milk or cream too.

Some foods are best with a simple preparation.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 07:29:10 PM »
I like to use butternut squash as a substitute for pumpkin when making pie.

Wash the outside of the unpeeled squash. Cut it in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds. Place it cut side down in a  9x13 pan(sprayed with food-release cooking spray). Bake it for 45(?) minutes in a 325 degree oven.  The skin should come off easily!  Put a strainer in the sink and dump the cooked squash in the strainer to drain the extra juice.

Use this as you would pumpkin in pumpkin pies.   Yummy!

mlooney

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 11:30:28 PM »
Saw this one in a magazine...thought it was an interesting mix of spices. Tried it tonight and it was very good

8 cups butternut squash peeled seeded and  cubed 1 inch

2Tbsp olive oil

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp grond alspice

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Toss squash with oil in a large bowl. In small bowl combine cumin, salt, allspice, coriander and pepper. Sprinkle squash with spices and toss well to evenly coat

Spread squash in single layer on 2 baking sheets or pans and roast 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.

champoo

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 11:36:17 AM »
I love spaghetti squash too (I make it nearly identically to you)!

Last night I made a my favority yellow squash and zuchinni dish (which I think may be in the squash family??), basically, you cook up a piece of bacon or two (for flavor), mixed in chopped zuchinni and about 5-10 min later add in squash (pre-toss both with a bit of salt, pepper, and spices of your choice, I use basil & parsley), sautee til soft.  toss with spagetti and 1/4-1/2 cup parm cheese and a bit of the reserved water from the pasta (to make it a bit creamy).

Fidgets

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 12:14:31 PM »
Mmmmm....squash!

We do the butter/parmesan spaghetti squash, too!  Great minds think alike.   ;)  Steamed zucchini tossed with butter and parmesan is good, as well.

Our favorite is to take an acorn squash and cut it in half length-wise.  Scoop out the seeds and into the hollow, put a some butter, a bigish spoonful of dark brown sugar and then lay a strip of bacon over the top (you may have to cut the strip in half to prevent the dreaded "strip droop effect".  Then put 'em on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.  Yum! 

I suppose if you were worried about the fat, you could leave out the butter, but it's pretty darn tasty mixed with the brown sugar/bacon flavors.  And if you use thin bacon (we always use thick-sliced), you might want to put it on part-way through the baking time so it doesn't burn or shrivel up into nothing.  And just butter and brown sugar is good, too.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »
A pat of butter and a spoonful of yummy dark brown sugar is worth the "fat" to make something taste divine.

I just bought some acorn squash today.  I think I may try your recipe tonight!

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 02:40:49 PM »
I like yellow squash sauted with bacon and onion

Shay

Paper Roses

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »
A pat of butter and a spoonful of yummy dark brown sugar is worth the "fat" to make something taste divine.

Are you kidding?  Butter and brown sugar taste divine without even being added to anything.

Here is my favorite butternut squash recipe:

Butternut Squash with Onions and Pecans

1 cup chopped pecans

3 tablespoons butter

1 large onion, finely chopped

2-1/4 pounds butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cubed

salt and pepper to taste

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1.  Place pecans on an ungreased baking sheet.  Toast at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes.

2.  Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet.  Add onion and saute until very tender.  Stir in squash, cover.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender but still holds its shape (about 15 minutes).  Season with salt and pepper.

3.  Stir in half the pecans and half the parsley.  Transfer to a serving bowl.  Sprinklie with remaining pecans and parsley.

*Note:  I usually add more pacans, and the parsley can be omitted.

I first tried this a couple of years ago, and it's become a holiday staple at our house.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.