Author Topic: Bridezilla  (Read 5359 times)

edenparadox

Bridezilla
« on: October 07, 2007, 11:00:17 PM »
Friend: Don't turn into a gosh darned bridezilla. We think you might.
Eden: What an interesting assumption.

I haven't asked anyone for anything or even named my bridal party. No one has actually done anything either except Sunny who went dress browsing with me a couple of times and Dancer who I talked weddings with a lot.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Bridezilla
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »
I'd be tempted to play with this one a little.

"You think I might? You've been discussing this among yourselves? What exactly have you been noticing that would signal my impending transmogrification?"

Was this a friend, or was it actually a relative who really meant, "We notice that you've indicated you are not planning on letting your mother dictate every detail about the wedding, and such social upheaval has us worried?"  ;)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

edenparadox

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:19:54 PM »
It's a friend so I cut him slack and asked what made him think that and he basically told me that I've been very stressed and angry at the world. He's a dear but not terribly good with social skills and cues so I explained why it's okay to be concerned about me freaking out but not okay to tell me I'm going to become a psycho who thinks everyone exists to serve her.

He doesn't quite get the point of phrasing things more properly but he seems to get that bridezilla may be offensive because I explained what connotations it carries.

Basically he told me that he is concerned that I'm too stressed and worried. Which would have been a good thing to start with. *sigh* He's so lucky I know him or I would have reached through AIM and slapped him.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 11:38:02 PM »
Watching TV with FH, we saw a Bride's tantrum.  He doesn't watch Bridezillas with me, but maybe it was a commercial.  I said to him, "I hope I don't do that."  He said, "Don't worry, you probably will."  Which was actually a relief, because I would hate to think of him getting second thoughts because I got a little upset. 

Bluenomi

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 11:50:28 PM »
I love watching Bridezillas. Every time its on my H2B tells me I can't be like that during our wedding planning. It scares him a little bit. I find it the funniest thing ever.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:29:35 AM »
It's a friend so I cut him slack and asked what made him think that and he basically told me that I've been very stressed and angry at the world. He's a dear but not terribly good with social skills and cues so I explained why it's okay to be concerned about me freaking out but not okay to tell me I'm going to become a psycho who thinks everyone exists to serve her.

I can understand a non-eHellion assuming a "bridezilla" was simply someone getting upset when wedding planning became difficult, rather than someone running roughshod over friends and family in order to get her way. It's probably not a phrase men in particular use a lot.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

edenparadox

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 09:42:25 AM »

I can understand a non-eHellion assuming a "bridezilla" was simply someone getting upset when wedding planning became difficult, rather than someone running roughshod over friends and family in order to get her way. It's probably not a phrase men in particular use a lot.

Hence why I patiently discussed the issue with him instead of saying something unpleasant.  :)

You know... I don't know what DF thinks about the whole bridezilla thing. He doesn't take it seriously when I complain that some people say I'm probably going to become one (cause they think it's funny... ha...ha...).

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 10:23:44 PM »
I guess it's good the guy just didn't seem to understand the term?

I agree that it was a pretty rude thing to say, though, especially since you seem only to have gotten past the where and how many questions of your wedding.