News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 04:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My mom's version ~ Karmic Update  (Read 13130 times)

Elle

My mom's version ~ Karmic Update
« on: October 07, 2007, 12:00:46 PM »
And I've never even told my mom about this forum . . .

My mom's business does a lot of consulting work. Right now her company is working with Company X and Company X has some oversight in her project. Company X just hired a new guy to work with my mom and basically tell her everything she's doing is wrong and too expensive  ::)

Anyway, during the 'getting to know you' meeting the following conversation ensued:
New Guy: Well I'm going to warn you that I can be fairly abrasive
Mom: Meh.
NG: In fact I've been known to make people cry so I'll probably do that to you at some point
Mom: You're making the assumption I care enough about you and your opinions to let you upset me that much. I don't.
NG:  Uhhhhhhh . . . . . .

I know two rudes don't make a right, but I think my mom rocks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 08:41:58 PM by Elle »

ShadesOfGrey

Re: My mom's version
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »
I honestly wouldnt call that rude.  I'd call it direct and honest.  She just met the guy, there's no reason she should care about his opinion.  He's clearly a direct and frank person.  She responded to that.   :)

jmo, ymmv. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Real Live Mermaids!

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:39:34 PM »
Your mom's my new idol!!  ;D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 07:59:12 AM »
Yep, a little rude. But she still rocks! What an awesome response!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

rashea

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:59:56 AM »
I can't imagine telling someone I would make them cry. How is that professional? At that point I would warn him that if he tried, I would report him to his manager.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Sabbyfrog2

• I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 06:10:55 PM »
And I've never even told my mom about this forum . . .

My mom's business does a lot of consulting work. Right now her company is working with Company X and Company X has some oversight in her project. Company X just hired a new guy to work with my mom and basically tell her everything she's doing is wrong and too expensive  ::)

Anyway, during the 'getting to know you' meeting the following conversation ensued:
New Guy: Well I'm going to warn you that I can be fairly abrasive
Mom: Meh.
NG: In fact I've been known to make people cry so I'll probably do that to you at some point
Mom: You're making the assumption I care enough about you and your opinions to let you upset me that much. I don't.
NG:  Uhhhhhhh . . . . . .

I know two rudes don't make a right, but I think my mom rocks.

I am rude too then!! I must have been channeling your mom when I said something like that to my co worker... different circumstances but the same conversation. Thank her for me...

Shortcake

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:01:57 AM »
Well. I don't know that I would call the OP's mom rude for saying that. IMO, the jerk got the response he needed.

She could have ignored him, or gave him the icy glare, but she picked option #3. She's my new hero too!   :D

I can't imagine knowing I make people cry and not trying to change! It sounds like he was proud of himself for making people cry!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:17:01 AM »
POD. She's got a little Joan Crawford in her, doesn't she OP? "Relax boys, it's not my first time at the rodeo."
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Elle

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 11:00:52 AM »
To be fair the NG is a pretty nice guy, I imagine he made students cry when he was a TA or something. (We all have met those people who just can't take criticism even if it's fair - or the few students who completely break down in the face of a very strict grader). That I could see.

I couldn't imagine what he was thinking in saying that to my mom who is 1) twenty years his senior, 2) has spent a lot of time working with the USMC (not a group known for tact) and 3) is a heckuva a lot tougher person than anyone else I've ever met.

NG is pretty young, so I imagine he just learned a valuable lesson.

And my mom totally rocks.

Balletmom

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 01:44:56 PM »
Your mom so does rock!

And the NG got a great lesson in a couple of seconds about what not to say.

Georgie

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 12:16:58 AM »

What an odd thing to say.  I don't understand.  Was he trying to be funny? Was he giving her a "friendly" warning?  Was this a subtle way of telling her that women should not be in the workforce?

I guess I'm just dense.

jassou

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 02:02:09 PM »

What an odd thing to say.  I don't understand.  Was he trying to be funny? Was he giving her a "friendly" warning?  Was this a subtle way of telling her that women should not be in the workforce?

I guess I'm just dense.

sounds like a disclaimer or a get out jail free card. "Hey, I know I am being an ***, but I warned you, so I don't have to take responability and keep behaving likewise in the future"

Elle, your mom does rock. I need examples like that. Tthankfully, my mom is very much like her, I wish i could be more like that. I guess it comes with life experience.

Elle

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 08:41:21 PM »
(Please excuse any weirdness. My carriage return is being weird. I'll edit this as I can. Please be patient with me :) )     Karmic update! (I know y'all love these).      ~     NewGuy is going to get fired.  This is completely unrelated to the conversation he had with my mom. (Funny aside. He gave my sister the same warning. She was even less impressed and her response was essentially the same as my mom's). And not really related to the line. But it's definately karma.            ~     He was hired six months ago. He spent the first four months 'getting to know the ropes' and producing nothing. He spent the next two months proving to be incompentant at the job he was hired for and completely ignorant of things he had claimed to be expert in. In short he has done absolutely NOTHING but collect a paycheck and convert O2 into CO2.      ~     NewGuy's Boss called my mom.     NGB: "So what do you think of NG?"      Mom: "He seems amiable."     NGB: "Has he produced anything for you?" (basically NGB (a weasel himself) is trying to get Mom say he should fire NG)     Mom: "No, but he doesn't work for me."  NGB unfolds the story of NewGuy's L33t-weasel skillz.    Mom: "Wow. I guess this explains why he had 17 jobs in four years."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 08:45:01 PM by Elle »

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
NGB unfolds the story of NewGuy's L33t-weasel skillz.  
Please translate into English.  I don't understand.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Twik

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »
NGB unfolds the story of NewGuy's L33t-weasel skillz.  
Please translate into English.  I don't understand.

L33T is a "computer hacker cool" way of writing "L-eet" (Elite - get it?). It once was cool, anyway; now writing like that gets you scorn for being a hopeless wannabe.

So, NG is an "elite weasel" at avoiding work, and persuading people he's more than he is.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."