Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

Wish I'd Known About This Phrase Back Then

(1/2) > >>

strawbabies:
A few months ago we had a company lunch out at a restaurant.  At the time, three of the women, including myself, were engaged.  We were talking about weddings.  When I mentioned that I had already bought my gown, (wedding is next August) the president of the company pipes up, "If you get pregnant before your wedding, the dress won't fit."   :o

Who said anything about me wanting children any time soon?  I'm not pregnant now, nor have I ever been.

jais:
Is that an assumption?  While it was rude to say, it was a true statement.

ch1pch0p:
He was assuming she was having unprotected s*e*x and not using birth control.

veryfluffy:

--- Quote from: jais on October 07, 2007, 05:28:22 PM ---Is that an assumption?  While it was rude to say, it was a true statement.

--- End quote ---

It was assuming a lot of things! It isn't even necessarily true -- if she got pregnant, say, two weeks before the wedding, the dress would still fit.

Twik:
Well, jais was right, it was technically not an assumption, it was a reasonably accurate summary of a cause and effect.

But it was clearly made ON the assumption that an unexpected pregnancy was not unlikely before the wedding. And it was DEFINITELY out of line for a work colleague, let alone a superior, to make.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version