Author Topic: Child reading in bookstore - slightly embarassing  (Read 2438 times)

hollasa

Child reading in bookstore - slightly embarassing
« on: January 14, 2007, 03:56:49 PM »
I took my DDs to the bookstore yesterday, so that 5 year old could help select a present for a birthday party today. We were looking at some books together, and my three year old was standing next to us, looking at some books too.

Until I turned around, and the three year old was sprawled on her stomach across the aisle, reading a book, while a fairly young man (early 20s) tried to step over her.

I apologized, and moved her to the side, and he said that it wasn't a problem at all, and many families would love to have the problem of a child who loves reading. He seemed very amused, and said I should be proud I had readers.

I didn't mention that this is NOT a problem at our house - at our house, I get to pass on practical tips to my children such as "try not to walk down stairs while reading", and "don't read a magazine with envelope inserts in it while lying on your back, as they may fall out on you", not to mention the library rule my parents implemented "if you can carry it out of the library, you may take it out, but only as much as you can carry."

Still, it was nice of him, although embarrassing for me!

Sarah

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Child reading in bookstore - slightly embarassing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 04:10:03 PM »
love your reading tips. 

May I pass on another one -- If you are riding your bike to the library do not unbalance yourself by hanging bookbag on one handlebar. (crash = ouch, Yep, gracefull me did that)

I would have found it cute as well.  Although we had a even more embarrassing happen one time when we found friends kid (under one) in stroller sitting on a book he had grabbed off of the shelf in the store.  We frisked him after that.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Rose2Bear

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 02:20:44 AM »
You know the dangers of reading magazines on my back never dawned on me, but now that you point that out, that is some smart advice! lol.

hollasa

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »
You know the dangers of reading magazines on my back never dawned on me, but now that you point that out, that is some smart advice! lol.
Well, after you end up in the hospital emergency room with a "National Geographic"-caused eye scratch - one does learn.

My husband still laughs about that one. So pleased to have brought joy to both him and the emergency room staff...

ccnumber4

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:20:34 AM »
That's adorable!  Nothing to be embarrassed about.  You corrected it immediately and apologized and the young man was very understanding.  Sounds like it worked out just fine. 

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »
I think it's adorable too!  And a much more refreshing story than the ones we usually read about children in public places!