Author Topic: Wine & cocktail recommendations  (Read 974 times)

audrey1962

Wine & cocktail recommendations
« on: October 09, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »
I'm having a small dinner party this Saturday and serving eggplant parmesan (among other things). I don't know very much about wine - can anyone recommend a wine that would go well with eggplant parm?

What about cocktails with the appetizers? I'm thinking specifically those that have vodka, as that is my favorite and I have quite a few bottles of it.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Wine & cocktail recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »
I'd get a few bottles of different fruit juices for the vodka and a cosmo mix.

If you're looking for a bottle of white, the King Estate Pinot Gris is good - it's from Oregon or Washington (those are big now) and it's about $10 per bottle.  It's really good.  I know you normally are supposed to have red with a red sauce, but you go with what you like...  My DH is fond of pinotage from South Africa - we haven't had a bad bottle and have tried quite a few brands....

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Summrs

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »
I found this on a wine and food pairing site:

"Eggplant is a surprisingly good partner with red wines like Syrah, Zinfandel, Merlot, Malbec, Petite Sirah and Cabernet Sauvignon. It's the combination of the eggplant's creamy, palate-coating texture and its skin's slight tannin-like quality and occasional bitterness that brings it and the wine together, though other flavors in a dish can also play an important role."

And from another site:

"Aperitifs and cocktails served before a meal are particularly harmful to the real enjoyment of wine. Only champagne, dry or sweet white wine are recommended to precede a meal during which wine is to be served."

I'm not a big wine drinker so I don't have any personal experience to share.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Got vodka? Get a big bottle of Major Peter's Bloody Mary mix.
And invite me along.....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:43:51 PM »
Syrah/Shiraz and Cab Sav are great with Italian food.  Robert Mondavi and Woodbridge are both decent brands that are about $10-$12 per bottle.

audrey1962

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:14:16 AM »
Got vodka? Get a big bottle of Major Peter's Bloody Mary mix.
And invite me along.....

I LOVE Bloody Mary's!!! That's what I would like to serve, but I was worried it would clash with the marinara sauce that tops the eggplant.

OTOH, I'm probably overthinking this. Given my guest list, I may be the only one who drinks one anyway - I think everyone else prefers wine.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »
I don't have a specific recommendation, but I'd suggest finding at least one white wine that goes well with your menu.  Red may match up better, but a lot of people don't like red wine, and would rather have an almost ideal white than an ideal red.  I'm sure someone can suggest a good one!

Fruit juice sounds like a good option to go with vodka.  I know the fancy martini mixers (like Pucker) are quite popular, but I think they taste pretty fake and sugary.  Personally, I love a good vodka tonic, especially if I have flavored vodka.  Make sure to get the appropriate garnishes!  IMO, a good cocktail is only at it's best if it has the little lime wedge or umbrella or cherry on a plastic sword :)

audrey1962

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 12:30:38 PM »
IMO, a good cocktail is only at it's best if it has the little lime wedge or umbrella or cherry on a plastic sword :)

I couldn't agree more! :)