Author Topic: You must make $$$$$  (Read 5320 times)

Cz. Burrito

You must make $$$$$
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:49:01 AM »
Really, this is why you should never talk about money.   My mistake.  ::)

I commented in an online journal that posted a link to an article on "16 jobs that pay $XX per hour."  I noted that my job was on the list, which I thought was interesting because it isn't a very common job.  I didn't make any mention of how accurate the article was, but somebody took it upon himself to post that $XX is maybe okay for a brand new college grad, but that he assumed that I make way more than $XX.  I make about 10% less than $XX (and I'm comfortable with my salary), but I didn't really want to get into that.  I replied in the ehell patented manner.   

"What an interesting assumption."

queelob

Re: You must make $$$$$
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:08:26 PM »
Congrats!

I can't imagine ever assuming what someone else's salary must be.  Even if it's a matter of public record (as in a non-profit org or public service) it's one thing to discuss it, but still rude to bring it up in such a confrontational manner.

I remember a time when I was walking down the street in the Big City I used to live in.  I admit, I was feeling quite nicely put together that evening, but it was still nothing special.  Jeans, sweatshirt, sneakers.  A man sitting outside the church (usually a place for panhandlers) said, "You must be a millionaire."  Uh, what?  No, actually I'm a college student with no cash.  What an interesting assumption!

aeeden

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »
i have had to use "the line" with money talk.. so i am a secretary, i work for my county, and i make less than i would like to. (don't we all though) but for the area i live in, i do pretty well. I don't have a fancy car, or fancy clothes, i made 50%more when i lived in MA, but i didn't own a house and i couldn't have afforded rent on my own.

So what an interesting assumption that i must be so totally poor because i only make $XX per hour...  i just laugh to myself and think.. "you fool, my house cost less than you car!" money really isn't the issue then i think...

Emmy

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:16:04 PM »
It is interesting what people assume about your money.  I come from a rich, snotty town where I never fit in growing up.  In college, I was talking to a friend of a friend and mentioned my hometown.  He said, "wow, you must be rich".  I didn't feel that it was his business, but I assured him my family is not what would be considered rich.  He said, "you must be rich, you come from Richtown". 

"What an interesting assumption" would have been perfect had I known it 10 years ago.

wyozozo

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 11:40:36 PM »
have had to use "the line" with money talk.. so i am a secretary, i work for my county, and i make less than i would like to. (don't we all though) but for the area i live in, i do pretty well.

Do we work together???  :D

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:03:56 PM »
quote]Do we work together???[/quote]

heehee.. i changed my screen name.. i hope you like it..  ;D