News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 28, 2016, 01:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sigh. Only thought of it later...  (Read 3066 times)

Elisabunny

Re: Sigh. Only thought of it later...
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
"I was doing a back bend and, well..."
"An unfortunate miscalculation while pearl diving."
"The camel really didn't want to be ridden that day."
"Yoga injury.  I...I'm sorry, I don't like to talk about it."
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »
I love you all.  Seriously.

And these are awesome, feel free to keep them coming!  Maybe I'll make a list and when someone asks, I'll open my calendar, "Just a second, I have to see what today's is."  >:D

Aunt4God

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »

I don't want to squash the fun, but did want to make sure you don't use the back bend one.  A little girl recently became paralyzed doing just that, a simple back bend.  The person might have heard the story and not appreciate that joke because of it. 

http://wnep.com/2016/03/15/5-year-old-girl-paralyzed-after-doing-backbend-on-living-room-floor/

katycoo

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 02:29:21 AM »

I don't want to squash the fun, but did want to make sure you don't use the back bend one.  A little girl recently became paralyzed doing just that, a simple back bend.  The person might have heard the story and not appreciate that joke because of it. 

http://wnep.com/2016/03/15/5-year-old-girl-paralyzed-after-doing-backbend-on-living-room-floor/

No.  Rude people don't get to have their feelings protected.

acicularis

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »

So she sits down next to me and says, "So why are you in a wheelchair?"

Gobsmacked, I managed to laugh a little and say, "That's your first question?"

I rather liked that response. Too bad it didn't make her stop and think before saying anything else.

Reminds me of meeting a new neighbor a number of years ago. We both were leaving the house at the same time one morning, so I walked over and introduced myself and welcomed him to the neighborhood. His response? He didn't say thank you, or introduce himself. He gestured toward my car and asked "Is that your daughter?' (it's obvious at first glance that she is disabled). I had barely answered in the affirmative before he demanded "So what's wrong with her?"  :o

I responded in a much less friendly tone with as technical language as possible, "She has isolated sporadic microcephaly, generalized hypotonia, mild collapsing scoliosis, general developmental delays, Chiari malformation. . . " until his eyes glazed over, and then I said "Have a good day."

If I'd known about it at the time, "So kind of you to take an interest" would have been a more appropriate response. Or "That's your first question?" because seriously, how could anyone think that's the first thing you say when meeting someone?

RevMaxx

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 12:58:25 PM »
"Why are you in a wheelchair?"

"I got decked for asking intrusive questions."   >:D
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
^^^

LOL, I like this response!

Hmmm, how about  "knitting accident"

camlan

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
"Heh, you should see the other guy!" is my standard response whenever I have had an accident that has left me with a visible reminder of said accident, be that a cast, a black eye, or a scar.

This whole incident, from the woman's remark that you looked lonely, to her way out of line question about the chair, smacks of pitying the OP because she was  sitting alone and has a disability.

And I think the OP's response was perfect. Seriously, the first question you ask a new acquaintance is that? Not "Where are you from?" or "What got you interested in Cause?" or "Do you like the speaker they have tonight?" or "Weird weather for spring, isn't it?" A million possible conversation openers that have nothing to do with the OP's reason for the chair.

P.S. I have a somewhat snarky 14 year old nephew who uses a wheelchair. When someone asks him "What's wrong with you?" he replies, "Nothing. What's wrong with *you*?"  When someone offers to pray over him so that God will cure him (this happens more often than you would think), he replies, "God made me like this. If you pray for a change, God could get angry and make things worse. Please don't pray for me."
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Team HoundMom

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »
P.S. I have a somewhat snarky 14 year old nephew who uses a wheelchair. When someone asks him "What's wrong with you?" he replies, "Nothing. What's wrong with *you*?"  When someone offers to pray over him so that God will cure him (this happens more often than you would think), he replies, "God made me like this. If you pray for a change, God could get angry and make things worse. Please don't pray for me."

Your nephew is epic.   8)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »
Really? What even.... see and here I think I am awkward because the first words I would say after I sat down (after the initial "may I sit here") would probably be some awkward " I like your dress" or some such....

I'm way socially awkward. And my mouth sometimes seems to have to filter system, something hits my brain and is out my mouth before I even register it.

I'm remembering introducing myself to a woman in a (slightly squeaking) wheelchair with "Hello, I'm Kimblee. (leaning forward and whispering) I have machine oil in my purse." And I am still turning red remembering it, it was at least 10 years ago.

I'm not sure why that just blurted out. I promise I didn't mean to, but she had this embarrassed look every time she moved around the room. It was a nice event too, we were in pretty dresses and sandals.

She took me up on the oil, but I wouldn't have blamed her if she had cut me down. (I had the machine oil in an eyedrop bottle because my BFF uses a wheelchair and I swear ANY humidity gets hers squealing merrily away. But it still isn't exactly a polite thing to announce when you meet someone.)

At least I didn't ask why she was in the chair.

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »
Really? What even.... see and here I think I am awkward because the first words I would say after I sat down (after the initial "may I sit here") would probably be some awkward " I like your dress" or some such....

I'm way socially awkward. And my mouth sometimes seems to have to filter system, something hits my brain and is out my mouth before I even register it.

I'm remembering introducing myself to a woman in a (slightly squeaking) wheelchair with "Hello, I'm Kimblee. (leaning forward and whispering) I have machine oil in my purse." And I am still turning red remembering it, it was at least 10 years ago.

I'm not sure why that just blurted out. I promise I didn't mean to, but she had this embarrassed look every time she moved around the room. It was a nice event too, we were in pretty dresses and sandals.

She took me up on the oil, but I wouldn't have blamed her if she had cut me down. (I had the machine oil in an eyedrop bottle because my BFF uses a wheelchair and I swear ANY humidity gets hers squealing merrily away. But it still isn't exactly a polite thing to announce when you meet someone.)

LOL  I'm sorry you're still turning red, but I think it's funny!  Also, in terms of etiquette...I think it's like seeing someone's blouse is popped open and a button missing and saying you have a cardigan they can borrow or a safety pin.  It's not pointing out something they cannot fix, it's pointing out something they cannot fix on their own but you might be able to help with.  Yours was perhaps a bit abrupt, but good intention.  So I give you a pass.

(And can I ask how you get machine oil in an eye drop bottle and what exactly it is and where I can get it and how to use it?  My chair's frame is squeaking and I want it to stop!)

I agree that the asker, being rude, doesn't get their feelings protected, but other bystanders are innocent.  However, (1) the odds of them having heard of the story in my stomping grounds, way far away from CA, are pretty low, and (2) it is highly unlikely that the back bend itself actually caused the paralysis, especially as it didn't sound like she even fell in conjunction with it at all.  The spinal column does a really good job protecting the spinal cord, so it takes a pretty significant impact to get past it to damage the spinal cord itself -- or another, internal source that attacks the spinal cord directly.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »

LOL  I'm sorry you're still turning red, but I think it's funny!  Also, in terms of etiquette...I think it's like seeing someone's blouse is popped open and a button missing and saying you have a cardigan they can borrow or a safety pin.  It's not pointing out something they cannot fix, it's pointing out something they cannot fix on their own but you might be able to help with.  Yours was perhaps a bit abrupt, but good intention.  So I give you a pass.

(And can I ask how you get machine oil in an eye drop bottle and what exactly it is and where I can get it and how to use it?  My chair's frame is squeaking and I want it to stop!)

I agree that the asker, being rude, doesn't get their feelings protected, but other bystanders are innocent.  However, (1) the odds of them having heard of the story in my stomping grounds, way far away from CA, are pretty low, and (2) it is highly unlikely that the back bend itself actually caused the paralysis, especially as it didn't sound like she even fell in conjunction with it at all.  The spinal column does a really good job protecting the spinal cord, so it takes a pretty significant impact to get past it to damage the spinal cord itself -- or another, internal source that attacks the spinal cord directly.

Oil in an eyedropper:

1) Get an eyedrop bottle, I think mine formerly help cleaning solution for contact lenses. It was about the size of a travel shampoo bottle and had the dropper top and a clicky cover for the tip. The top unscrewed.

2) Get machine oil, or in my case it was sewing machine oil. I think my mom gave me several bottles she got as a giveaway when she bought a new machine. Other oils we have used are almond oil (I think any light oil works) and WD-40, which the WD-40 wasn't all that great for it. The oil can be procured at a craft store, sometimes at WalMart, or if you use the almond oil, I got a bottle from a Mexican grocery store.

3) Put oil in your bottle with a funnel. Do not do as I did and try to eyeball the pouring, because that did not work well. But my hands were very soft for awhile...  :P

4) Keep bottle in purse. A Ziploc baggie is a nice addition to prevent the oil from ruining stuff if it pops open, but mine never popped open. I also had a couple of pieces of lint-free rag in the bag for rubbing at the squeaky spot in case dust or mud was causing the squeakies.

5) Embarrass yourself by blurting out the existence of your oil bottle to a random lady in a wheelchair, who will laugh at you but let you oil her wheel bolt.

Or you can just buy this, I think this is the oil Mom gave me or very similar. I still suggest the eyedropper bottle though, because it stayed closed much better than any bottle my mom used in her sewing machine drawer.

http://www.amazon.com/4-oz-Sewing-Machine-Oil/dp/B000H8Q41Y

In a pinch, chapstick worked on BFF's chair, although I can't say I was inclined to ever used the chapstick for my lips again.

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 04:57:15 PM »
You guys!  <wails>  I bobbled it again!  Hmph.  Security guard after I pushed chair ahead of me and then walked through metal detector.  <sigh>  I need to practice in front of a mirror.

Also, thanks, Kimblee.  I shall look into that (except the embarrassing myself by blurting part... ;-)) and see if I can't conquer this squeak.