Author Topic: How to deal with pity from customers while working on Thanksgiving?  (Read 1723 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: How to deal with pity from customers while working on Thanksgiving?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
Might not be quite right to say: "Oh, I love working Thanksgiving! The tips are really good, wink wink, nudge nudge!" And smile mischievously.

But sure tempting!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »
I think it's not so much pity as they're trying to sympathize, in a clumsy way. Perhaps even apologize that they are taking you away from something which (they assume) you'd rather be attending.

Unless they're really offensive, the polite thing is to smile (choose type of smile from friendly to slightly forced) and say, "Oh, I don't mind working a few holidays. It all works out."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Peppergirl

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 12:59:57 AM »
I work nearly every holiday and do so by choice.  I'm an empty nester, the pay is fantastic and I work nights.  If I choose, I can forgo a bit of sleep and be around for the celebration, so it becomes a win-win.

When a customer (call center) says "I am so sorry to call you on this holiday, but..." my go-to reply is along the lines of "That's what I'm here for.  Happy to help!" then move the conversation along. To most people's credit, the vast majority do have a legitimate, pressing concern that needs to be addressed right away.

The only times I really get frustrated is when someone makes the comment, then proceeds to request something that totally could have waited until business hours or at least the next day.

And before anyone gets on me, I realize that it's my company (by marketing us as 24/7 seamless service from day to night, which isn't always true) who creates this issue and not the customer. Its not the act of them calling on the holiday for something silly, it's the fact that they comment on it (pity sentence) then go on to book some flight for 6 months from now.  I'd rather they not comment at all about it, just tell me what you need! ::)

miranova

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
I know others have mentioned it, but I can't quite get over a customer, who is the reason people have to work, pitying the staff for working.  It is just so funny to me. 

My sister used to have to wait tables every single holiday.  If you missed a holiday you were fired point blank.  She hated it because there were too many servers on the floor due to that policy.  Yes they had to be open, it was corporate policy, but they did not need every single server on the same day. So even though the individual tips were good she didn't have enough tables to make it worth her time.  They all would have preferred a system based on seniority or even a lottery system so at least the people working would get decent tips, but management refused.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 05:06:10 PM »
I remember this when I waited tables. On the one hand, I think people's hearts are in the right places. It dismays them that people "have" to work on such a big family holiday. But... why are they supporting such a thing with their money, then? Who do they think will wait tables for them if everyone should be home with family on that day? And I also hated the condescension. I had a job. I had a job that I loved. Don't feel sorry for me because you think manual labor is such a sad lot in life (I really doubt anyone though of it that way consciously, but I think that's often the underlying emotion). I enjoyed it immensely, most of the time.

So go with that. "Actually, I love my job. And I really like working Thanksgiving." Cheery smile. Walk away.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »
I remember this when I waited tables. On the one hand, I think people's hearts are in the right places. It dismays them that people "have" to work on such a big family holiday. But... why are they supporting such a thing with their money, then? Who do they think will wait tables for them if everyone should be home with family on that day? And I also hated the condescension. I had a job. I had a job that I loved. Don't feel sorry for me because you think manual labor is such a sad lot in life (I really doubt anyone though of it that way consciously, but I think that's often the underlying emotion). I enjoyed it immensely, most of the time.

So go with that. "Actually, I love my job. And I really like working Thanksgiving." Cheery smile. Walk away.

Exactly. I had so many customers last year apologize for my co - workers' and my having to work on Christmas Day, and it befuddled me. Sure, it was crazy - busy, but I was with people I cared about, and I was up on my feet, doing a job I love.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

RubyCat

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 08:46:48 PM »
How about, 'But then I wouldn't be here to take care of you, would I?'  with a big smile.  And then, 'What (else) can I get for you?'

I really like this approach and plan to shamelessly steal it as I have to work Thanksgiving. I work in a hospital so it sounds like the perfect reply. (I could add in the part about not having to put up with crazy relative, but that would probably be inappropriate  ;) )

JoW

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »
I've never worked retail, but I've worked several Thanksgivings and Black Fridays in manufacturing.  When that happens I get the Monday or the Monday and Tuesday off.  I tell people that.  "I'm off Monday and get to shop while the crowd is back at work."  That might work for you.