News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 11, 2016, 07:37:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oh, It Felt Good....  (Read 5035 times)

Runningstar

Re: Oh, It Felt Good....
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
I think that you might have to forget what happened in the background and look at what happened at the time. 

Actually, I think what happened int he background is absolutely relevant.

First he and his dogs did it to you (off leash; aggression toward the leashed dog, particularly scary since the leashed dog can't run away).

Then you did it to him.

If he was wrong (and he was), you were.

I don't understand what you mean, but I'm trying to.  What I meant by that was the OP cannot say that just because of her history with this man (the background of his actions) that it doesn't excuse her behavior in the present.  Maybe I wrote it incorrectly/oddly.

TootsNYC

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
I agree, it doesn't excuse her behavior.

But I think the past is relevant, because I thinks he should have been more sympathetic to him, since her own DD was once in his very position.

KenveeB

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 04:11:59 PM »

But I think the past is relevant, because I thinks he should have been more sympathetic to him, since her own DD was once in his very position.

Or conversely it would make him less understanding, since OP apparently has no problem chastising others for behavior she then engages in herself.

TootsNYC

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 06:53:13 PM »

Or conversely it would make him less understanding, since OP apparently has no problem chastising others for behavior she then engages in herself.

Wait--did the OP chastise him? I didn't think so--her DD was the one who encountered him and his dog when the dog was off-leash.

She thought negatively of him, but I didn't think she even spoke to him, let alone chastised him.

KenveeB

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »

Wait--did the OP chastise him? I didn't think so--her DD was the one who encountered him and his dog when the dog was off-leash.

She thought negatively of him, but I didn't think she even spoke to him, let alone chastised him.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize "Little Miss Star" meant her DD, I thought she'd been talking about one of her dogs. (I really hate the cutesy name variations where you can't actually tell there's supposed to be a relationship, instead of just saying "my DD".)

rose red

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
^ I didn't read it carefully and thought Little Miss Star was a dog too until now. I also wish posters would use "my daughter/son/husband/mother" too. At least say "My daughter, Little Miss Star."

corrsfan

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 04:59:05 AM »
I agree with other PPs that the man was wrong having his dog off leash in the first situation which resulted in OP's daughter and dogs having to deal with being charged at. I also think that the OP was wrong for having her dogs off leash in the second situation. If I was walking my dog and two off leash dogs came up barking and growling I would be terrified; and I would be angry at the owner for not having their dogs under control in that moment. The man was rude for the swearing outburst. So basically, rudeness all around.

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:47 AM »
If it is socially acceptable in the area to roam with dogs off leash but trained to return as needed, than I don't see a major problem with it. His dog had been previously aggressive, but the situation was returned in kind. I'd take greater care but you really can't do much when you don't know if his dog would be leashed or unleashed next time. All I can suggest is perhaps an airhorn for protection if his dog comes at your daughter again. And keep the dogs close if they aren't on a leash.

Goosey

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »
I own an aggressive dog. When we go on walks, he is on a lead 100% of the time.

Just remember that having your dogs on a leash is as much to protect them from other dogs as it is to protect other dogs from them.

If your dogs had run up to mine like that, they could have very well been bitten by a frightened animal. Would it be my dog's fault? He's on a leash. He's right next to me. You breaking the leash laws would have resulted in the injury. I don't know if I would have kicked out at your dogs, but I would definitely be trying to keep them away from mine for their own good. And the fact that I had to protect my dog from yours at all means that you do not have enough control over your dogs to let them off-lead.

So, while the swearing may be out of line, if he has an aggressive dog, he's trying to protect your dogs as well as his as you're standing there smiling as if it's no big deal. It's a huge deal.

JoieGirl7

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 10:04:09 PM »
The losers here are the dogs!  If any of these dogs bite a human, it could be the end of them!  Why anyone would think that having their dog aggressively approach someone felt good is beyond me.  This is, at best, retaliatory rudeness; at worst, it's negligence and stupidity.

The OP and the man should be seeking ways for them and their dogs to coexist peacefully not taking some kind of perverse joy in a cycle of reprisals.