Author Topic: comments on financial state  (Read 18996 times)

nuit93

Re: comments on financial state
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »
I certainly wish my mother would listen to my attempts to beandip her or other tactics described here when it comes to my finances.   She loves to stick her nose into my business and others when she should not.  I just have to keep on trying!

Mine still tries to casually ask what I pay in rent.  I told her firmly "less than a third of my take home pay" (she doesn't know what I make) and changed the subject because I *knew* if I answered that question I'd be barraged with "why aren't you buying instead?  your younger sisters own instead of renting!".  As if there was something wrong with not being a homeowner in one of the most expensive counties in the country.*

*seriously, home/condo ownership is nearly double the cost of what I pay in rent.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
Personal finances were always a big topic when we visited MIL. She was especially concerned about the state of our mortgage (paid off over a decade ago) and the  costs of our vacations (someone told her that the cruises we took cost 1000 dollars per person per day).  She was willing to help if we needed money but not if we were being 'profligate' with our resources. 

Seriously, were we going to pay almost the whole amount of our mortgage for a holiday?

Other than that I've not encountered much talk of finances.  Friends might mention taking a bath in the latest market downturn or having a fund that did particularly well but no specific amounts are ever mentioned. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
I'm in the opposite boat, in that my sibling and I are concerned that our parents have no retirement, and are in their 70's, so we are concerned that they may not have enough to live on should my father have to stop working due to health or other issues. We haven't broached the subject yet, as hints have been fruitless.

They both think of retirement planning as something for old people, not them.  :-\

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »
I certainly wish my mother would listen to my attempts to beandip her or other tactics described here when it comes to my finances.   She loves to stick her nose into my business and others when she should not.  I just have to keep on trying!

Mine still tries to casually ask what I pay in rent.  I told her firmly "less than a third of my take home pay" (she doesn't know what I make) and changed the subject because I *knew* if I answered that question I'd be barraged with "why aren't you buying instead?  your younger sisters own instead of renting!".  As if there was something wrong with not being a homeowner in one of the most expensive counties in the country.*

*seriously, home/condo ownership is nearly double the cost of what I pay in rent.

I have a relative who seems to think I make much more than I do (I've never told her) and that I should buy something, vs renting. Yeah, I'll get right on that. I pay about $1250 in rent for a 1BR apt. nothing fancy at all, not even my own W/D. She seems to think I can purchase a condo or townhouse for that same amount. Um no, because you have to factor in property taxes, and I live in a state with some of the highest in the US, and monthly fees. And don't get me started on the cost of a home, or down payment. But she keeps saying I should look into it. Sorry, but the days of the mortgage, etc. being what I pay now are long gone. At least in my neck of the woods.

nuit93

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »

I have a relative who seems to think I make much more than I do (I've never told her) and that I should buy something, vs renting. Yeah, I'll get right on that. I pay about $1250 in rent for a 1BR apt. nothing fancy at all, not even my own W/D. She seems to think I can purchase a condo or townhouse for that same amount. Um no, because you have to factor in property taxes, and I live in a state with some of the highest in the US, and monthly fees. And don't get me started on the cost of a home, or down payment. But she keeps saying I should look into it. Sorry, but the days of the mortgage, etc. being what I pay now are long gone. At least in my neck of the woods.

Are you in the Seattle area too?