Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

"Noted."

(1/5) > >>

behindbj:
I mentioned this one in a previous thread discussing how people respond to statements that are meant to cause you to do something.

As in:

"My child can't see."

"I can hear you knitting."

"I heard you come in last night and leave in the morning and return later in the day and then go out again."  (MarinaDCA only...)

"Your music is annoying."

Personally, I can't stand that kind of thing.  I would rather someone say "Could you please let me son stand in front of you/could you please move a couple inches to the left/etc" than "My kid can't see."  "Noted" works great.

I don't like what we're having for breakfast.

Noted. 

I think the house isn't clean enough.

Noted.

**Preceding two for the benefit of Tabris.**

I prefer to sit on the aisle (from a latecomer who wanted me to move from the seat I got there early to get).

Noted.

And so on.

Sometimes people actually get it and actually ASK A QUESTION OR MAKE A REQUEST.  Brilliant!  Now, they don't always get the answer they want, but they stand a greater chance of getting something by asking.

Can't STAND hinting.

Any sterling "noted" moments out there?

behindbj

sbtier:

--- Quote from: behindbj on October 11, 2007, 04:55:03 PM ---I
I prefer to sit on the aisle (from a latecomer who wanted me to move from the seat I got there early to get).
behindbj

--- End quote ---

Just curious, was this someone you knew or a stranger?  If it was a stranger, I think I'd have more than 'noted' to say.   ;D

Craxodile:
Hmm, I have to say I think it's not in the spirit of politeness. It feels kind of snarky. If the situation is such that you  feel you shouldn't offer to give them what they want just to be the better person, I think a vague "Oh?"  would work better.

Trisha:

--- Quote from: sbtier on October 11, 2007, 07:11:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: behindbj on October 11, 2007, 04:55:03 PM ---I
behindbj

--- End quote ---

Just curious, was this someone you knew or a stranger?  If it was a stranger, I think I'd have more than 'noted' to say.   ;D

--- End quote ---

OOOO THAT is my biggest movie pet peeve! Especially when the ushers ask you to move. No, I'm sorry, I got here early specifically to sit on the isle or in the middle, I am not going to move just because you didn't. Now, I will move to accommodate someone if there are 2 in a group and if I move down a seat they'll have 2 seats together, but not if I'm on the isle. Or I'll move if its obvious the need the isle IE they're on crutches etc. However, I refuse to move just because they don't want to sit in the available spots.

Lisbeth:

--- Quote from: Craxodile on October 11, 2007, 07:20:40 PM ---Hmm, I have to say I think it's not in the spirit of politeness. It feels kind of snarky. If the situation is such that you  feel you shouldn't offer to give them what they want just to be the better person, I think a vague "Oh?"  would work better.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  "Noted" only works in courtrooms when a judge says it to an attorney who opposes their action.

Otherwise, it's very cold and does come off as snarky.  If said to the wrong person (someone who actually deserves it but has a personality quirk that guarantees that they will not take it in the right spirit), it has the potential to make things worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version