Author Topic: Recipe for Mac and Cheese  (Read 3406 times)

mogin77

Recipe for Mac and Cheese
« on: October 12, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »
Let me preface this request by saying that I'm not the most culinarily adept person. Ok, now on to the good stuff...

I'm from Southern USA, currently living in England. Recently I've been craving some good ole mom-cookin' (no, not cooking my mother) and today's digestive topic is macaroni and cheese. My mom makes the best m&c I've ever had, but I know she uses Velveeta, something I'm not sure I can get my hands on over here or find a substitute for. So, now I come to you, E-hellions, with my empty ceramic bowl, a tear at the corner of my eye, lips quivering, begging you for a good mac and cheese recipe. Please??

While I'm at it (and I'm sure this is not the height of etiquette, so flame me if you must--but remember that I'm really hungry ;D), I'd like to put a few stipulations on my request:
-Could you give me a recipe that will turn out nice and stringy? I love my m&c to be a little creamy, a LOT stringy!
-Can you make it kinda easy on me? Like I stated earlier, I have no prowess in the kitchen.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me out a little. I miss home a lot right about now, (especially since we're getting close to the holidays) and I'm looking for an easy way to replicate some of the things that I used to eat all the time. *wink, wink* and I KNOW, from previous threads, y'all are good cooks!!

Fidgets

Re: Recipe for Mac and Cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »
Let me see if I can dig some measurements out for you.  I use my mom's "recipe"; one of those, "cook up some elbow macaroni, drain it, add enough white sauce to it and mix it up with cubed cheese.  Put it into a baking dish.  No, not that kind.  One of those squarish ones and top with cracker crumbs.  Bake it in a moderate oven until it's done."

I can make it, but I'm not sure I can translate it.  Ooooohhh....and maybe throw some diced up ham in there, too.  That's also good.

Not my Mom's version, but one from about the right time frame:

8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked al dente and drained (you might want to hold off until the sauce is done.  Otherwise, you'll have a clumpy, macaroni ball.  Fun to play with, but not so much fun to deal with.)
3 T. butter
2 T. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 lb. cheese grated or cubed (as you like it and I know I use more than that!)

Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add your flour and salt and stir to blend.  (I let it cook for 1 minute to cook out the "flour taste", but they don't mention that here.)
Add the milk to the flour mixture, stirring constantly.  (A small whisk is handy if you have one to prevent lumps.)  Cook (stirring) until thickened.

Here's where they differ from my Mom--they add the cheese to the white sauce and stir until melted, which is also going to keep it from stringing.  My Mom mixed the white sauce with the macaroni and then mixed in her cubed cheese.  Whichever works for you--go for it.

Put it in a baking dish and bake for 1 hour at 350.  They also don't mention it, but Mom always put finely crushed crackers over the top of hers.  YMMV.  And if you want it stringy, you're probably going to want to use a cheese that'll get that way.  Maybe mix in some mozzarella or use part Monteray Jack.

Hope it helps the hankering or that someone's got a better take on it than this one.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:24:07 PM by Fidgets »

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 02:09:11 AM »

My personal recipe.

The amounts are approximate, and can be varied quite a bit and still work.

2 T each of butter and flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 lb pasta - elbow macaroni or other short, chunky version (shells work well)
2 1/2 cups grated cheese (can use more if you want)
1 t prepared mustard
1 t paprika
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and pepper

For the cheese I use a mix of 2/3 c medium or sharp cheddar, 2/3 cup gouda, 2/3 cup havarti and 1/2 c parmesan.  If you like it really stringy, I'd substitute mozzarella for the parmesan.

Start the pasta cooking. Once you've added the pasta to the boiling water, start the cheese sauce.

Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat.  Stir in the flour with a fork, and cook for a minute or two. Slowly add the milk, stirring briskly with the fork to break up lumps. This is the white sauce. When it starts to bubble turn the heat to low and stir in the garlic, mustard and paprika.

Take half the cheese mixture and add it to the white sauce, and stir until just melted. Turn off the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. 

Drain the pasta - should be tender but not mushy - and add it too the cheese mixture, mixing thoroughly.

Take a casserole dish and put in half the pasta/cheese mixture, then sprinkle on half the remaining cheese, add the remaining pasta, and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Bake in a 300 F oven until the cheese on top is melted and browning slightly.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 04:55:24 AM »
This will probably not be the recipe for you, but it's my mom's and I LOVE it!

Mix
Elbow Macaroni cooked el dente with
Couple slices of butter
Sprinkle in couple pinches of flour - mix
cubed sharp cheddar cheese
Some dried onions
a pinch of dried mustard
few dashes of Worchester Sauce
Some dried garlic powder, or whatever form you have
Salt & Pepper
fill about 1/3 way with milk
top with Progresso Italian Bread crumbs

Bake for about an hour at 375.

Of course when I was in college it cost me $20 bucks just to buy the seasonings. Now that I actually cook, it's not very expensive at all.

parker6221

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »
This is my favorite recipe - via Alton Brown on the food network.  To me it is just as easy as a mix, but tastes so much better!  I never use the dry mustard, just b/c I didn't have any the first time I made it and never got in the habit.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_18423,00.html

mondrianette

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
This is my favorite recipe - via Alton Brown on the food network.  To me it is just as easy as a mix, but tastes so much better!  I never use the dry mustard, just b/c I didn't have any the first time I made it and never got in the habit.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_18423,00.html

Such a great recipe!!!! His recipe for baked mac & cheese is excellent, too.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_18422,00.html

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »
IThis is from Martha Stewart.  Be fairwarned, it calls for a pound of white cheddar, which at my grocery store is ridiculously priced at almost $10/pound. It makes a huge dish, though! 

I like Alton's use of the dry mustard.  This recipe could also use some red pepper flakes, if you want.

Macaroni and Cheese                      
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, (1 stick), plus more for buttering the dish
6 slices hearty white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces
5 1/2  cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
4 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese, grated (about 18 ounces)
2 cups Gniyere cheese, grated (8 ozs) or 1 1/4 cups (5 ozs) grated Romano
1 pound elbow macaroni

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set the bread crumbs aside.

In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk. When butter bubbles add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.

While whisking, slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside.

Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.

Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cook 5 minutes; serve. 12 Servings

Marta

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »
Heh, and here I almost posted Alton's recipes as well... don't have much to add except I looooove his baked mac and cheese - and I don't even like baked mac and cheese!

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 12:45:11 AM »
IThis is from Martha Stewart.  Be fairwarned, it calls for a pound of white cheddar, which at my grocery store is ridiculously priced at almost $10/pound. It makes a huge dish, though!

I think this recipe is the most expensive Mac & cheese I've ever heard of! Remember when Mac & Cheese was considered cheap food?

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 07:40:58 AM »

I think this recipe is the most expensive Mac & cheese I've ever heard of! Remember when Mac & Cheese was considered cheap food?

It cracks me up to see it on the menu as an expensive side dish at "fine dining" restaurants like the Capital Grille or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.  You've come a long way, Mac 'n' Cheese!!

~ Cristen

MorningGlory

• Trendy tote bag
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »
I don't know if it's accurate or not, but my mom used to say that macaroni and cheese was a delicacy in the days of Abraham Lincoln.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 04:48:34 PM »
Just be careful of that English mustard Okay?
NE England