Author Topic: Kugelis?  (Read 2768 times)

Mazdoy

Re: Kugelis?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 06:08:30 AM »
I was on holiday in Lithuania last year and fell in love with the potato pancake things but like all Lithuanian food they eventually made me feel ill because they were so greasy.  I'd like to be able to make them with less butter/oil but then they wouldn't be authentic.

The other thing I fell in love with was a really hard type of black deep fried garlic bread.  Again, very greasy but so tasty.  I've never seen it in any other country.

Not all Lithuanian food is greasy.  There are tons that have nothing to do with any oil.

Unfortunately didn't find much non greasy food in the few weeks I spent there.  Although some of the food from Lithuanian/Polish shops over here aren't too greasy but they wouldn't be as authentic.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 09:20:03 AM »
Hey guys!  I'll post the recipe this weekend!  The personal trainer I met with on Tuesday practically killed me.  I still can barely walk (much less work out - what's the point of that?) so I didn't feel up to much in the evening.  I'm sorry!  I will post it though.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 03:10:07 PM »
No problem!  If it's not up in a couple weeks, I'll have to hunt that personal trainer down, though >:D

Bibliophile

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »
No problem!  If it's not up in a couple weeks, I'll have to hunt that personal trainer down, though >:D

I'm going to shoot him the evil eye when I'm able to go back.  I'm going to avoid all personal trainers there from now on.  I'm walking in with the iPod on and just nod and walk away when I see someone's lips moving.  I had to scoot down the stairs on my hiney last night! 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Bibliophile

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 09:59:28 PM »
Here it is!!!

Kugelis

10 large potatoes
1 medium onion
5 slices bacon
2 tsps. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup hot milk or evaporated milk (we always use whatever milk is in the house - either fat free or 2%)
3 eggs

Peel and grate fine the potatoes and onion. 
Cut bacon cross-wise into narrow strips, fry till crisp.  Add bacon to potatoes (you can add the fat, but we usually leave that out - we've also left out the bacon & it comes out fine as well). 
Add hot milk. 
Add beaten eggs one at a time. 
Add salt & pepper to taste (better to under season as it's perfectly fine to salt/pepper it when it's done)

Heat greased (any kind of veggie oil is fine) baking dish in 400degree oven until grease is hot.  Pour potato mixture into baking dish.
Bake at 400degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 375degrees and bake 45 minutes more.
Cut into squares & serve hot with sour cream.

YUM!

Tips:
1) One of those dishes that's very good the next day.
2) Use old potatoes.
3) Depth of grated potato mix in the baking dish should be no less than 2.5 inches.
4) Start baking at high temp & reduce temp to complete.

Edited because I didn't credit a source: This recipe is from a Lithuanian cookbook originally published in Chicago in 1955 by the Lithuanian Catholic Press.  My edition was printed in 1971.  It's one of those cute little cookbooks with the spiral binding like church groups put together, but it's filled with great recipes.  It's the 5th edition & it was put together by the wife of the Consul General of Lithuania at Chicago.  She has a long list of charity works and awards in her own right as well. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:11:22 PM by kcbrig »

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 10:03:14 PM »
Thanks!  Old potatoes, eh?  I may have to make a practice batch, you know, just to test it ;)

How many people is this supposed to serve, by the way?  I'll probably end up doubling it anyway, but it's good to know.

Now, I wonder if I can make a tiny baconless kugelis for the vegetarian guest...  I do have a teeny tiny casserole dish (it's so cute!)...

Bibliophile

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 10:06:30 PM »
I think a baconless one would be fine - we always make ours baconless just because I never take the time to cook bacon  :(  This recipe does make a large batch, we usually use a 9x13 baking dish.  You can also add a bit extra onion or potato if you decide that your dish isn't filled enough though.