Author Topic: I should have known better...  (Read 1068 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
I should have known better...
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:38:35 PM »
My mom and a couple of her friends went to Michigan last weekend, and I told her that if she brought home some tasty apples (I love fresh picked Michigan apples) we could get together for dinner and I'd make an apple pie.

I've known my mother for almost 25 years, and I should have known better.  I don't know why I'm surprised...  She brought home enough apples for a year's worth of pies!

I'm going to her house tomorrow for apple day, and I'm looking for some interesting apple ideas.  I'm definitely doing a pie or two, we've already done pancakes with apple topping, and my pie recipe makes good turnovers, too.  Anyone have any other good apple ideas?  We've got Fuji's, Mackintoshes, and another one that I don't know the name of, but is supposedly great for cooking.  They're fresher than anything I'd ever find in a Chicago supermarket, so I'm hoping for dishes that will bring out the tasty appley flavor.

Thanks!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: I should have known better...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 11:04:40 PM »
I would be canning apple filling. 

tapperjockey

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:07:12 PM »
Apple Butter.   Yummy.  I don't have a recipe though :(    Also, baked apples are delicious.  And apple strudel.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:20:40 PM »
Sophia, wouldn't I need all sorts of fancy equipment (like jars ;) ) for canning?  I'm not sure that my mom's kitchen is equipped for it, and neither of us has canned anything before.  Maybe I could make something freezable, though...

Strudel sounds great, tapperjockey, it's one of the things we were thinking of.  I didn't think of apple butter, though, it's worth looking into.

edenparadox

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:10:28 AM »
Canning is actually not terribly hard. I made jam recently and it was way easier than I thought. You need jars, a set of tongs, a big pot and  jar funnel.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:14:44 AM »
Applesauce is easy and GOOD.

Boil your apples peeled, and cut until they're soft. Put them in a blender or food processor, add sugar and cinnamon (or anything you like!) to taste, and blend to the texture you want.

I do this when I buy bags of apples that don't all get eaten. DH loves it. Sauce is good hot too... yum, especially when its cold. If you're a canner you can can it.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »
My mother cooks and freezes a lot of unsweetened apple. Then just sweetens it to taste when she wants to use it (as pie filling or whatever)
NE England

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 11:28:07 AM »
I LOOOOOOOVE apple crisp.  I've been looking for my recipe since I came across the thread and I just can't find it.

Summrs

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 09:08:42 PM »
Apple Crisp is what I was thinking of... and apple fritters, too... but the fritters won't keep well, I don't think.  Apple Dapple cake is another idea.  Apple Upsidedown cake, too.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 09:16:11 PM »
Freeze the apples prepared for pie filling - ready to drop into a pie crust and sprinkle with a crumb topping or a second layer of pie crust..............I think that you do need to do something with a bit of lemon juice before freezing them to prevent browning..........

But Mom and Grandma did all the canning and freezing when I was growing up.  I got to peel, snap, and stir...........at least until a kid got too tired to help!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 11:46:38 PM »
Well, I just got home.  My mom invited a friend of hers too, and we appled like crazy :)

We did apple pie, apple crumble, applesauce, and Dutch apple cake.  All delicious, and I never want to see another apple again ;D

Thanks for all the suggestions!