Author Topic: HELP - need chili recipes!  (Read 1244 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
HELP - need chili recipes!
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:33:29 AM »
So my husband's new job is having a chili lunch, where all the employees are supposed to bring both homemade chili and spouses, and everyone gets to share.  Now, my DH can't cook worth a darn, I don't really like chili, and the chili I grew up with has cheese and macaroni in it.  (Which I do love, but it might be a little too "out there" for a potluck where I'm meeting his co-workers!)

Does anyone have a chili recipe that's easy to make, not TOO spicy, and not too weird?

(If I put this off, DH wants to make the "ice cream chili" he made once at age 6 for a church chili cook-off.  Regular chili with vanilla ice cream mixed in.  It didn't win the contest, and I'm afraid he'll scare his co-workers.  Although I might let him try it at home . . .)

Elle

Re: HELP - need chili recipes!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
Get out your chili pot and saute 1 inch chunks of stewing beef until they are browned. You'll probably have to do this in batches. Transfer browned meat to a bowl.

Into the pot add two bottles of dark beer and a can of tomatoes. Deglaze the good stuff at the bottom of the pot. Add some ancho and poblano peppers (just 2 since you don't like it spicy.) I also add onions, some chili powder. You can add kidney beans of you like.

My secret ingredient is one ounce of good dark chocolate. It brings out the beef and the tomato.

For something a little different you can serve chili over rice.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 06:07:34 AM »
So my husband's new job is having a chili lunch, where all the employees are supposed to bring both homemade chili and spouses, and everyone gets to share.  Now, my DH can't cook worth a darn, I don't really like chili, and the chili I grew up with has cheese and macaroni in it.  (Which I do love, but it might be a little too "out there" for a potluck where I'm meeting his co-workers!)

Does anyone have a chili recipe that's easy to make, not TOO spicy, and not too weird?

(If I put this off, DH wants to make the "ice cream chili" he made once at age 6 for a church chili cook-off.  Regular chili with vanilla ice cream mixed in.  It didn't win the contest, and I'm afraid he'll scare his co-workers.  Although I might let him try it at home . . .)

i was just wondering: EVERYONE brings chili? does anyone bring side dishes, salads, salsa, whatever? can you perhaps bring the spaghetti or rice? If you have a different kind of chili with mac and cheese - why not make that? it sounds more or less like regular chili with the additions thrown in.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tabbage

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 03:01:11 PM »
Here's my Southwest Chili Recipe:

1 1/2 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
3 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies -- NOT DRAINED (I ususally use Ro-Tel brand)
1 small can diced green chilies -- NOT DRAINED.
1 can corn -- DRAINED
2 cans beans -- DRAINED AND RINSED (I usually use one can Pinto and one can Kidney)
2 cans Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 - 2 Tablespoons (or more) powdered cumin
1 - 2 Tablespoons (or more) dried chili powder (I usually use chipotle chili powder -- it has a great smoky flavor)
Salt and pepper to taste
Water, only if needed to thin out the chili

Substitutions:  If you can't find diced tomatoes w/green chilies, use regular diced tomatoes and an extra can of green chilies.  Also, if you don't have powdered cumin and dried chili powder, you can use a store-bought "chili seasoning" packet.  If you don't like the little bitty pieces of mushroom in the soup, use cream of celery or even cream of chicken.

1.  Thoroughly brown ground beef in large frying pan.
2.  While you are browning the beef, put all other ingredients (except seasonings) in a large pot and stir over medium heat until mixed together well and just starting to bubble up a bit.
3.  Once the beef is browned, drain it (leaving a couple of tablespoons grease in it for flavor) and toss it in the pot with the other ingredients.
4.  At this point, add 1T cumin and 1T chili powder, along with salt and pepper to taste.  Mix well and taste.  You will probably want to add more of the seasonings.
5.  Cook over med/low heat for at least a half hour to incorporate flavors.  Keep covered (so it won't dry out) and stir frequently.  The flavor profile changes over time, so you may want to continue tasting and adjusting seasonings.
6.  Sometimes it can turn out a bit thick so you may want to add just a bit of water to thin it out to the desired consistency.

Serve with tortilla chips (I usually crush them and put them in the bottom of the bowl -- super tasty!), shredded cheese (Cheddar or Mexican blend) and diced onion if wanted.   Enjoy!

(Also, this tastes better on day 2, like many one-dish meals.  Leftovers are also good over rice.)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 03:21:15 PM »
ETA: I know my chicken chili is not "true" chili, but I have this vision of the OP's chili lunch where the choice is limited to McCormick chili, Carroll Shelby, and 5-alarm  ::)

----
My not-too-weird chili usually starts with the spice packets from the grocery store  ;)

However, my family really likes this one:

Chicken Cannellini Chili (or think of it as a hearty soup  ;))

2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 medium onions, chopped(1 cup)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 15- or 19-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans or navy or Great
Northern beans)
1 14 1/2 ounce can chili-style chunky tomatoes
2 5-ounce cans or one 12 1/2 ounce can chunk-style chicken, drained and
flaked (Any shredded cooked chicken is fine here)
1 10-ounce package frozen peas and carrots (I use the 1lb bag of mixed vegetables or soup vegetables)
1 6-ounce can tomato juice (I use the soda-can size)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)

Heat oil in a large saucepan.  Cook and stir onions and garlic in hot oil
for 3 minutes.  Stir in undrained beans, undrained tomatoes, chicken, peas
and carrots, tomato juice, chili powder, seasoned salt, and cumin.

Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes or until
mixture is heated through.  Spoon into soup bowls. Sprinkle each serving
with shredded cheese.  Makes 4 or 5 servings.

Another note: This is even better after freezing because it breaks the vegetables down more.

---

I ran across this recipe a while ago that looks interesting.  I have not tried it...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boilermaker-Tailgate-Chili/Detail.aspx
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 10:21:38 PM by LauraF »

Elle

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:40:55 PM »
What the -
Mushroom soup doesn't go in chili!
Peas and carrots don't go in chili!
Corn doesn't go in chili!
Heck, even beans don't belong in a proper chili!
. . . . .and I'm going to take this over to the 'Innocent topic/ heated debate board' b/c obviously I feel waaaaaay to strongly about the ingredients of chili  ::)

rosiecat

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:50:43 PM »
Elle - why do I think your from Texas??  I found the people who are MOST passionate about chili are from there LOL!!

That being said, i dislike chili.  DH loves it.  I hate kidney beans.  He loves them.

This is the only "chili" recipe we both like.  And it is super easy and fast.

1 cup (8 oz) ground beef
1 cup chopped onions (more or less to your taste)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 Tablespoon chili powder
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 can (19 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin  (YES - pumpkin!)

Cook beef, onions, garlic in large nonstick skillet -4-5 mins until beef is not pink.
Stir in remaining ingredients, reduce heat, cover & simmer 6-8 mins until flavors are blended.

Garnish with chopped onions.

I "know" this isn't a true chili - but it is really good.  And it tastes better then next day and freezes well.

Elle

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:44 PM »
Yankee by birth, Texan by choice.  ;)

rosiecat

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 08:55:23 PM »
The best chili I ever was made by a Texan - I remember steak, no beans, "secret" ingredient - chocolate.  And it took all day to cook.

THAT was good chili!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 10:23:15 PM »
What the -
Mushroom soup doesn't go in chili!
Peas and carrots don't go in chili!
Corn doesn't go in chili!
Heck, even beans don't belong in a proper chili!
. . . . .and I'm going to take this over to the 'Innocent topic/ heated debate board' b/c obviously I feel waaaaaay to strongly about the ingredients of chili  ::)

Take deep breaths and think of the "alternative" chilis as hearty soups that happen to use chili powder :)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:37 PM »
Okay, I'm printing out these recipes and DH is just going to have to eat a bunch of different kinds of chili for the next two weeks.  They all sound good!

Peaches737

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 09:34:35 PM »
Chili is not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.  We got a recepie about a year ago, but improvised quite well. 

Grill up about 5 pounds of you meat of choice, add a can or two of stewed (or fresh) tomatoes, put in crockpot, turn on high.

I like to throw in onions, beans, peppers, (hot and mild) from the garden, and a bunch of spices.

It's to your own taste. 

OT, a little.  The easiest appetizer in the world to make is a taco salad dip.  Mix veggie refried beans with taco seasoning, layer with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream.  I like to garnish with olives and hot peppers.

Serve cold.  I have NEVER had leftovers.

CG

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »
A bit late, but durned tasty and easy.

The chili we've always made in my family is definitely of the no-measuring variety and apparently it's blasphemic (is that a word? the adj. form of blasphemy?) as it contains beans. Oops.

This is the general idea:

1/2 to 1 cup chopped onions (or dried minced, I'm lazy and don't like to be able to see the onions)
1 lb. ground beef/turkey (family does beef - I mix with turkey 'cause it's cheaper and I can't tell the difference)
Several cans ranch beans
a can or 2 of diced/crushed tomatoes
Several cans tomato paste

chili powder
green chiles
chipotle powder
cayenne pepper

Cook the onions in a bit of oil. Toss in the green chiles and let them cook just a bit. Brown the meat. If you're going to make it in a crock pot, dump the meat mix in there now. Toss in 2 cans of ranch beans & 1 can of tomatoes. Stir. Add whatever you think should be added: more tomatoes, more beans, tomato paste to thicken it up, water so it's more soupy, season to taste. Go light on the chipotle and cayenne, heavy on the chili powder. It can be eaten as soon as it's hot or simmered for quite a while. I normally freeze it in 2-cup plastic containers that go to work and into the microwave, but I'm also cooking for just ME most of the time. You can start out with however much meat you want, just add however much of everything else looks good to you.

(my browser's dictionary wanted to change "chipotle" to "spotless" - I'm amused)