Author Topic: Kohlrabi anyone?  (Read 1117 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
Kohlrabi anyone?
« on: October 13, 2007, 11:35:40 PM »
My mom gave me a kohlrabi earlier, and I have no idea what to do with it.  She suggested just cutting it up and adding it to pot roast, but I'd like to do something a little more interesting, since it's an exciting new veggie and I'd like to be able to actually taste it.  I'm a fairly competent cook, and willing to experiment.  Thanks in advance!

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Kohlrabi anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 06:50:12 AM »
Bürgerlich Kohlrabi

Peel the kohlrabi and cut into halves or quarters (depending on size) then slice very thinly. Cut the thick vein out of the leaves and blanch, then chop finely- as you would do herbs. Boil the kohlrabi and leaves in lamb stock until tender. Make a roux of butter and flour- use this to thicken the stock to the consistency of a reasonably thick gravy and serve.

This is about the only thing I do with Kohlrabi! BTW you can use any stock you like, lamb is just what is specified in the original recipie.
NE England

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 09:27:17 AM »
I like it steamed with a little bit of butter, sugar, and carrots. 

Peel the Kohlrabi and Carrots.  Slice both into sticks.  Steam/boil in a pot or pan with a little bit of water and a teaspoon of butter.  Careful not to let them stick!  Towards the end, add a touch of sugar or brown sugar, stir it all up really well, and serve as a side dish.
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 12:27:51 PM »
yummy i love kohlrabi!

<warning! it can get you a bit gassy!>

raw root salad:
===========
2 beets, 1-2 kohlrabi, 2-3 carrots - all peeled and grated
add: salt, black pepper, oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice.
can add other vegetables, can add onion or scallion. this is pretty much "what you have in the fridge" but should be root vegetables. i made this this weekend - layered each veg separately in a pretty glass bowl and poured the dressing over it all. will last a few days in the fridge but it will all turn beet-red!

crunchy salad:
===========
take different root veg: kohlrabi, carrots, radishes, fennel, cabbage etc. cut into thick slices or "fingers". you can use whatever vegs you like. put in bowl, add juice of 2-3 lemons and some salt. can stay in the fridge for a few days up to a week. it's a great salad to have in the house when you come home from work all starving....

baked/roasted:
line a big baking pan with foil or parchment paper, grease with olive oil. put in single layer all kind of vegetables: eggplant, squash, peppers, fennel, kohlrabi. drizzle with oil and sprinkle kosher salt - let it roast for about 30-40 minutes or until nice and golden. you can also brush with italian marinade i/o oil and salt.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I'm assuming I've had it before, because it's just not statistically realistic that I grew up with my mom not serving it to me, and I've probably encountered it in a restaurant, but I don't have any distinct memories of eating it.  I'm glad there are so many different ways to use it.

Cicero, does that salad mean it's also good uncooked?  I really like uncooked veggies :)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:06:19 AM »

Cicero, does that salad mean it's also good uncooked?  I really like uncooked veggies :)

yup. the first two salads are raw. beets and all.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Marta

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »
I like raw Kohlrabi the best! Just peel, slice and munch, mmmmm.

My mom used to cut it up, bread it and fry it for my little brother.