Author Topic: coconut milk, cream, liquid??  (Read 835 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
coconut milk, cream, liquid??
« on: October 14, 2007, 02:19:39 PM »
is there a difference between coconut milk or cream? and what is the difference? in israel they sell 'something' and its called "coconut water" (someone said it is because they don't want to call it "milk" in case people think it's dairy, which it isn't. did i mention that this is a crazy country ;D)

so is that the same as coconut milk and cream? just wonderin'...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sefie

Re: coconut milk, cream, liquid??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 06:43:48 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the difference between coconut milk and coconut cream is similar to cow's milk and cream - the cream is... well... creamier.  However, I've found that the milk has a more coconut-y taste, while cream just tastes richer.  I've experimented with substituting cream for milk in Thai curries, and as you'd expect, the cream makes the sauce thicker and richer than the milk.  Personally, I prefer the stronger coconut taste, so I try to use milk.

Hope that helps!

Summrs

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:28:09 PM »
The liquid found in a coconut when you crack it open is coconut water.  It's fat free and low in caolories.

Coconut milk is made by pureeing some of the coconut meat with water.  Then it's strained to remove some of the fat.

Coconut cream is made the same way, but with a higher ratio of meat to water.  Sometimes you'll get a layer of coconut cream on top of a can of coconut milk. 

Cream and milk are pretty interchangeable in recipes, though the consistency is different.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:07:03 AM »
thanks.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:03:54 PM »
I actually find the cream very sweet and thick compared to the milk.  The milk is more bland and takes seasonings well like curry.

I used cream once in a curry and had to throw it out.  It was so syrupy sweet and yuck.

Maybe it was the brand I used here? I wouldn't use them interchangeably. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:11:41 PM by omgheather »

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:29:30 AM »
I think is what they usually use in mixed drinks and  the milk or water is what is usually used in cooking

Shay