Author Topic: SO finally used it at work  (Read 4830 times)

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
SO finally used it at work
« on: October 15, 2007, 11:26:02 AM »
SO is very non-confrontational person, opposite of me who likes to tackle problem head on. In other words, he is passive with little to no aggressive tendencies whatsoever.

While we were away getting married, his brother gave back some of the Dune books SO had loaned. (this is important)

SO will re-read his books (so do I), and it just so happened that it was time, as he put it, time to read Dune again, now that the prequel trilogy is back in his possession. So he took with him the first book, Dune: The Butlerian Jihad. Everyone at his work knows he reads and doesn't bother him since it's the only time he has to really relax from the stress of customers and retail.

Everyone, that is except his PITA manager who seems to make it a goal each work day to antagonize SO. He also makes it a goal to try and intimidate me when I go into shop - which doesn't work since I will just ignore him or on the occasions where I can't without causing bodily harm, simply tell him to leave me be or I will be speaking to store management (which I do). That only proves to piss him off and antagonize SO. This has been reported and documented, so the store management knows what's going on. They're just waiting for more complaints about this manager before they finally get rid of him, demote him or transfer him elsewhere.

Anyway, SO had told me how the manager will comment about the titles of his books and how he says they sound strange, disgusting, etc. He doesn't care for sci-fi or fantasy, so it does no good for SO to explain about the books. I told SO that the next time he does that, simply respond with our patented phrase.

He did so on Friday. There was some paperwork SO had to sign so he had set his book down to do so, and the manager made the comment of "The Butlerian Jihad? That sounds like they might talk about terrorists." After SO had finished signing the document, he took his book and said, "That's an interesting assumption" and went off to lunch.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:28:42 AM by That Anime Chick »
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

green ferns

Re: SO finally used it at work
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »
Woo Hoo to your SO!!! How perfect! I'm so impressed. Yay!!!

GF
(Dune fan who's out of the loop & didn't know there were more...!!!)

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:14:11 PM »
These are the prequels that take place about 10,000 years before the original novels. They're rather heavy reading, so I more than likely won't touch them unless I really want to read them - that or I'm locked in the basement and there's nothing else I can do but read them, lol!
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Sefie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:41:13 PM »
Poor SO!  Maybe he should stop reading the good stuff, and get into low-quality fantasy books with the scantily clad female warriors on the cover :D

PS: Sandworms of Dune has been out for a while - Mr Sefie is currently reading it :D

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:29:48 AM »
I think there's a new Dune novel out. I'm pretty sure SO just picked it up not too long ago, it might be The Sandworms of Dune; we stopped buying stuff for a while and are slowly getting things we didn't back a few months ago Then again I might be confusing it with a Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks or R.A. Salvatore (Drizzt!! *glomps dark elf happily*) book.

Poor SO!  Maybe he should stop reading the good stuff, and get into low-quality fantasy books with the scantily clad female warriors on the cover :D

PS: Sandworms of Dune has been out for a while - Mr Sefie is currently reading it :D

LOL! I've joked with him about taking one of my romance novels to see what kind of response he'd get, but I don't want to ostracize the poor guy anymore than he probably already is by this jerky manager.

ETA: we likes our fantasy and sci-fi, can't you tell :D

mddg4

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 01:56:44 AM »
I think there's a new Dune novel out. I'm pretty sure SO just picked it up not too long ago, it might be The Sandworms of Dune; we stopped buying stuff for a while and are slowly getting things we didn't back a few months ago Then again I might be confusing it with a Raymond Feist, Terry Brooks or R.A. Salvatore (Drizzt!! *glomps dark elf happily*) book.

Yeahhh! another Drizzt Fan! Out of curiosity, I have had no book allowance for some time  :'( and am completley lost on the Dune series now. Could you give me an idea as to the sequence of books and what to look for?

Good for your SO. I am a staunch bibliophile and have had to weather some people like that. In addition to the bodice busters, have him bring in the Treatise on Middle eastern Diplomacy (or another 17 in thick book. Tell JM it is a bit of lite reading  >:D

Sefie

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 02:11:34 AM »
Just found this for you: http://www.dunenovels.com/chronology.html :)

I'm an Artemis Entreri fan, myself  ;D Love them bad boys.

green ferns

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:03:50 AM »
Just found this for you: http://www.dunenovels.com/chronology.html :)

I'm an Artemis Entreri fan, myself  ;D Love them bad boys.

Ooh, Sefie, you ROCK! Thanks! I really like being able to read serieses (is that a word?) in the order that the events happen. When I can. Amazon was a little help, but this is WAY more clear & complete.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.... thanks for helping indulge my SF/Fantasy addiction love with other readers.  ;D

Lizettarose

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 12:13:39 AM »
Big fan here! But I have only read the first two books of the WHOLE dune set, and they were from the prequel.
Just a little O/T. I sell over 135 different theatrical lenses. We have dune and Drizzt.
We have tones from movies, books, and anime.