Author Topic: recipes for post-wisdom teeth extraction  (Read 5881 times)

Ashe311

recipes for post-wisdom teeth extraction
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:13:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

My friend is getting her wisdom teeth extracted in a couple of weeks and is not looking forward to the recovery period.  She's also not looking forward to eating mush for the week afterwards.  Are there any yummy but easy to eat recipes that you e-hellions could give me that I can pass on to her?  Thanks!

Ashe

jemma

Re: recipes for post-wisdom teeth extraction
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »
I will confess that my husband was in the hospital from blood loss two days after his surgery.  We learned that iron and protein are both good for recovery.

Shepherd's pie worked will for my husband.  Omit the corn and make the potatoes really runny y adding extra milk. 

Pastina with any sauce also worked well.

Apparently in  some European countries and Australia, people are given Guinness (other beers don't work) after giving or losing blood since it replenishes iron really quickly.  We used ground beef after our trip to the hospital, in the mashed potatoes, but overcooked lentils and peanut butter should work too.

And she should be careful to eat more than usual, even if it's a chore, because healing bodies and blood loss are no fun.

And if she has bleeding problems, she should wet a tea bag (DH preferred earl Grey because of the flavor) and hold it on her gums for 30 or more minutes.  Our surgeon said tea contains agents that promotes clotting.

I hope it goes well for her!

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »
I LOVED mashed potatoes when I had mine out. I suppose sweet potatoes would be good.

She might try rice, mix it with cream of chicken or mushroom soup, just something that would help hold it together until it was in her mouth, though she might ask if the dentist wants her to be eating rice.

Some mac & cheese might be good. I just take elbow mac and add as much velveeta as I want, a little butter and milk, and then melt it. Its soft and tastes good :)

I also ate hotdogs. I had to cut them into small pieces but I could eat them. However, I was pretty doped up (I had 4 wisdom and 2 other removed) so if there was pain with that I might not remember it... I do remember I didn't feel like eating, I just felt icky, so your friend might be doing good to buy some broth so that even if she doesn't feel like eating she can have some broth and still get some vitamins etc.

HorseFreak

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:41:02 PM »
I ate overcooked spaghetti for so long I prefer it like that now. Avoid anything you have to bite into or is even a little hard (I learned that the hard way after getting braces on with a piece of apple). Fruit smoothies are great. Hot dogs cut into little pieces.

I felt fine with eating regular food within a couple days of getting my wisdom teeth out. It really wasn't a big deal. 

ETA: I had part of my jawbone filed down due to an impacted tooth and was still OK very quickly.

Elle

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:08:34 PM »
My mom shredded chicken and mixed it in mashed potatoes with gravy.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:39:13 PM »

I lived on this, applesauce and strawberry shakes.

Elle

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:42:16 PM »

I lived on this, applesauce and strawberry shakes.

And chocolate pudding.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:40:55 PM »

Pureed vegetable soups.

Take chicken or beef or vegetable stock, cook the vegetables until tender, puree in the blender and season. Tasty, nutritious, liquid, and they reheat well. You can add a bit of cream at the end, or top with some grated parmesan cheese.

Good combinations:

Carrot, onion and potato with ginger

Asparagus and roasted red pepper with a bit of dill

Potato leek

Pumpkin, carrot and celery and onion with a bit of coriander and lemon juice

StaciNadia

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:04:01 AM »
For three days after I had my wisdom teeth out, this is what I had:

Breakfast:  scrambled eggs
Lunch:  pastina with butter
Dinner:  Chef Boyardee beef ravioli chopped up

I was a happy girl!

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:53:10 AM »
You can put just about anything food wise in a blender.  It won't be pretty, but usually it tastes good.
My favorite was a toss up between vegetable beef soup and KFC chicken/mashed potatoes and gravy.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »
i had all of mine out, including one impacted one and honestly i don't remember it being that much of a deal before you can eat regular food again.

obviously - things like soup (you can make craemed soup, or red lentil soup), farina or oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and fruit/yogurt shakes.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Elle

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
My surgery was pretty much a 'worst case scenario' type. It took me a week to get off the painkillers (and I wasn't even on painkillers that long when I broke my foot) and two weeks before I was eating 'real' food. The surgeon said on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the hardest surgery he'd performed to date, I was a 11.

But that's worst case scenario.

waterwren

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 08:24:56 PM »
I had more issues before my wisdom teeth came out  than after. Even when the stitches ripped out the next day ( at work), the time before was much worse than after. That said.  After extraction I had lots of french toast, soup and oatmeal. I was a happy camper.  But then I had a very short period when I couldn't eat normally.

Cyradis

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 05:22:44 PM »
I lived on strawberry Slim Fast and soup for three days after my extractions but everything mentioned sounds yummy.

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 07:42:12 PM »
ITA with the soup suggestions, and the shredded chicken and mashed potatoes.  Here's a yummy mp recipe that's easy.

We call them Super-Yummy Mashed Potatoes

Take instant mashed potatoes and cook as directed, subsituting broth for the water.  Return to stove top and stir in half cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 tsp each onion and garlic powders, paprika and sage.  Add 1/4 cup sour cream.  Stir stir stir until smooth, then top with some gravy of your choice.  You can add as much as you want, and can make it actually quite soupy and it still tastes great.

Here's a recipe for some soft meatloaf:

1 lb 80/20 ground meat
3 slices bread, torn
1 cup milk
1 egg
To Taste:
garlic powder
onion powder
salt
pepper
molases

Soak bread in milk in large bowl until soggy.  Add rest of ingredients, form into a loaf and bake at 350 for half an hour.  It should be moist and soft and easy to chew.  Molases hasa good amount of iron so it's good post-surgery.