Author Topic: Idea for new category  (Read 15285 times)

freakyfemme

Idea for new category
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:13:54 AM »
Hey all,

Remember my stories from Bishop's, of scatterbrained chamber ensemble colleagues who'd blow off rehearsals for "emergencies" such as being hungover, or needing to buy groceries, and of the time Flaky claimed that he didn't need me for chamber orchestra, only to pull a clarinet part out of thin air two weeks before the final performance, and then shanghaii me into playing it?  I also have enough King Fluteloop stories to write an epic novel, lol.  But anyway, my point is, I remember the advice that people on here gave me--they told me that "lack of planning on Flaky's/King Fluteloop's part did not contitute an emergency on mine."  So, I think that that would be a good category for the Etiquette School forum, along with its abbreviated cousin, "Bed, made, lie."  It's sort of an "extra-credit" version of "I'm afraid that won't be possible," or "No is a complete sentence."  For example, here's a situation in which it might work:

OP (soliloquy):  Yay, Thanksgiving is coming, I'm going to watch football with my husband, and then we're going to order Chinese food.  After that, we're going to go for a walk outside to look at all the beautiful fall colours.

OP's MIL:  OP, we're going to have Thanksgiving at YOUR house this year, which means YOU have to make a turkey dinner for thirty people, because I'm too OOOLLLLLLLD to do it anymore!!!  You'd better get started too, because Thanksgiving is next week.  Now, don't forget about Dia-Betty, Vegan Vernon, Lactose Intolerant Larry, Picky Priscilla, Fad Diet Fabio, and Carbless Carly!!!

OP:  I'm afraid that won't be possible, my husband and I have already made plans for Thanksgiving.

MIL:  But it's FAAAAMILY!!!!  And I'm too OLLLLLD!!!!  And I've already INVIIIITED everyone, so what am I supposed to DOOOOO?!??!?!

OP:  I suggest you take the whole brood to Denny's, because lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

MIL:  You're so MEEEAAAAN, I'm going to cut you out of my will, and you can't come to my birthday party either!!!  I'm going to tell all my friends that you have COOTIES, so they won't be your friends anymore!!!

OP:  Well, then, I couldn't expect all those people to eat cootie-laden turkey, could I?  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go exercise my channel-surfing thumb.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:15:33 AM by freakyfemme »

Shortcake

Re: Idea for new category
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
That sounds like a good category to me. I have let myself be pressured by someone's lack of planning too many times!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Cydrius

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 06:04:42 AM »
Two thumbs up from me!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
Yeah, I think it's a great idea too.  Why hasn't this topic been started already, since it was suggested so long ago?

Perhaps the moderators didn't think it was that great of an idea.

AprilRenee

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 06:46:52 PM »
I think the reason categories like this don't make it is because the topic can easily fit into Life, In general or Family and Children. Really, the "Phrase" categories can go to the extreme, IMO, and really, they don't get that much use.

Msunderstatement

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:45:09 AM »
Sounds like a winner!
I'm not lost -- just taking the scenic route!

Ginya

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:56:36 AM »
Haha sounds great to me! I recently placed an order for some custom shirts at a local graphic screen printer and he this exact phrase posted at the register, I thought it was awesome then and still do.  :)