News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: People that WILL NOT share recipes  (Read 129157 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
Re: People that WILL NOT share recipes
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2007, 05:03:03 PM »
So, those of you who don't like to share recipes, are you ok with someone politely asking why when you say no?  Because I would understand someone not sharing a recipe, but I'd be upset if they wouldn't even tell me why (hopefully if they thought I wasn't capable of cooking it, they'd gloss over that part ;) ).

kcbrig, feel free to put that 4 hour cheesecake in the recipe folder ;D

I wouldn't mind, it would depend on who was asking and how I had presented my "No".  But then I always give a reason with my "no" along with a smile, so it isn't coming across like "NO! you can't have it!".  I usually go with the "family secret" or "I'm still working on it" type thing.  And really the only person I don't give recipes to based on lack of cooking skills is, as I mentioned in my previous post, my SIL.  It's not that she isn't a good cook, it's that she can't be bothered.  THere's a HUGE difference, at least to me.  She does things for the sake of getting them done and is like "well, it's good enough".  Well my hard tested and cultivated recipes don't deserve "good enough" to get them done, with not the right ingredients, half the effort, not seeding cucumbers when the recipe ITSELF is "Asian Seeded Cucumber Salad"   the RECIPE is seeded! If she can't be bothered to seed a cucumber, then I'm not going to bother to give her my valued recipes so she can half a** them and pass the result off as MY recipe. I would never tell anyone I don't think they are "good enough cook" for my recipes. I tell SIL now "oh I'm going to be petty and keep them, since you have so many of your own special dishes, you have to let me have a couple of showstoppers! ;) " and try ot lighten it up.

You'd better not give me any of your recipes, then, I love cucumber seeds ;)  I do understand not wanting to give a recipe to someone who would screw it up, I was just wondering how people felt about sharing non-"mean" reasons (I doubt most of you would just flat out say that someone can't cook).

G'sMom

« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2007, 05:05:11 PM »
So, those of you who don't like to share recipes, are you ok with someone politely asking why when you say no?  Because I would understand someone not sharing a recipe, but I'd be upset if they wouldn't even tell me why (hopefully if they thought I wasn't capable of cooking it, they'd gloss over that part ;) ).

kcbrig, feel free to put that 4 hour cheesecake in the recipe folder ;D

I wouldn't mind, it would depend on who was asking and how I had presented my "No".  But then I always give a reason with my "no" along with a smile, so it isn't coming across like "NO! you can't have it!".  I usually go with the "family secret" or "I'm still working on it" type thing.  And really the only person I don't give recipes to based on lack of cooking skills is, as I mentioned in my previous post, my SIL.  It's not that she isn't a good cook, it's that she can't be bothered.  THere's a HUGE difference, at least to me.  She does things for the sake of getting them done and is like "well, it's good enough".  Well my hard tested and cultivated recipes don't deserve "good enough" to get them done, with not the right ingredients, half the effort, not seeding cucumbers when the recipe ITSELF is "Asian Seeded Cucumber Salad"   the RECIPE is seeded! If she can't be bothered to seed a cucumber, then I'm not going to bother to give her my valued recipes so she can half a** them and pass the result off as MY recipe. I would never tell anyone I don't think they are "good enough cook" for my recipes. I tell SIL now "oh I'm going to be petty and keep them, since you have so many of your own special dishes, you have to let me have a couple of showstoppers! ;) " and try ot lighten it up.

You'd better not give me any of your recipes, then, I love cucumber seeds ;)  I do understand not wanting to give a recipe to someone who would screw it up, I was just wondering how people felt about sharing non-"mean" reasons (I doubt most of you would just flat out say that someone can't cook).

:D I wish I liked cucumber seeds! For some reason they always get stuck in my throat  :P
But next time I make the recipe and seed all the cucumbers, I'll package all the seeds and send them to you so you can have a seed bonanza! ;)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2007, 05:07:47 PM »
Ooh, seed bonanza!  I do prefer them coupled with the rest of the cucumber, though ;)  Whenever I go to my mom's for dinner and she makes a salad she tries to get me to seed the cucumbers, and I always refuse and insist to her that I like the seeds.  She finds it hard to believe  ::)

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2007, 05:09:28 PM »
Ooh, seed bonanza!  I do prefer them coupled with the rest of the cucumber, though ;)  Whenever I go to my mom's for dinner and she makes a salad she tries to get me to seed the cucumbers, and I always refuse and insist to her that I like the seeds.  She finds it hard to believe  ::)

One of the coolest things I had in England was seedless cucumbers - I know you *can* get them in some grocery stores in the US, they are more expensive then the regular ones, but I hate the seeds enough that it's worth it.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2007, 05:10:08 PM »

One of the coolest things I had in England was seedless cucumbers - I know you *can* get them in some grocery stores in the US, they are more expensive then the regular ones, but I hate the seeds enough that it's worth it.

She buys those too.  What a waste of cucumber :P

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2007, 05:12:42 PM »

Hehe, at least this way I'll eat all of it instead of eating around the seeds  ;)
My mom's got a great recipe for Cucumber salad (more like pickled cucumbers - it's basically water, vinegar and sugar) and that is the only time I'll eat the regular ones.

G'sMom

« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »

Hehe, at least this way I'll eat all of it instead of eating around the seeds  ;)
My mom's got a great recipe for Cucumber salad (more like pickled cucumbers - it's basically water, vinegar and sugar) and that is the only time I'll eat the regular ones.

That sounds similar to my recipe. Only I use Japanese Rice Wine Vinegar, sugar, and cilantro.  IT's really hard to find rice wine vinegar though. At least near me it is. PLenty of rice wine or rice vinegar, but they aren't the same.  Seeding the cukes keeps the salad crisp.

demetra

« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2007, 06:02:49 PM »

I'm absolutely okay with it.  And when it comes to things like my mead-making (I'm not always willing to share a recipe that literally takes two years to make), I'm often willing to follow up a polite inquiry with 'why don't you come over Saturday and we'll make a batch?  Bring 5lbs of your favorite honey and we'll hit the produce stand to see what looks good'. 

Come next spring, I'm turning my root-cellar into a brewery.

Thipu1

« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2007, 06:48:36 PM »
The Story of Eva May

When I was a child there was a legendary woman in our little village.  All the kids knew her and liked her.  Eva May was the Maiden Aunt of our Grammar School Principal.  She lived about a mile away from my house.  Across the street from her house was an open field where we often played or rode our bikes.  Eva May liked kids and, because of her nephew, she knew almost all of us. 

If you were in her vicinity, a gentle ring of the doorbell and a polite "Please, Miz Eva May?" would almost always get you a glass of cold water.  If you were really lucky, you might get a glass of raspberry lemonade or a warm cookie.

Eva May was well-known in the community for her devotion to charity and community service.  Most of all, Eva May was known for her fudge.

Her fudge was a legend in our area.  It was soft, rich and utterly delicious without being overly sweet.  When her church fair was almost ready to start, nieces and nephews were hauled in to produce almost 100 pounds of the stuff.  They brought the candy out in huge trays and sold it by the pound.  Even people who didn't like Eva May's church made sure they to the fair early enough to snap up a pound or two of that magnificent confection.

Eva May was very generous in many ways but, deep in her heart, she harbored a guilty little secret. She would never reveal the secret of her wonderful fudge. That was a secret my Mom found out through sheer, dumb luck.

We were having a small family gathering at our house.  Mom went looking for a tin of evaporated milk and found a tin of condensed milk that had been bought by mistake.  On the back of the tin was a recipe for fudge.  Mom decided to try it.  Guess what?  The recipe on the back of the tin was exactly Eva May's secret  fudge recipe.   

gjcva1

« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2007, 07:03:31 PM »
On the back of the tin was a recipe for fudge.  Mom decided to try it.  Guess what?  The recipe on the back of the tin was exactly Eva May's secret  fudge recipe.   

does it involve melting chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk in the microwave, then adding vanilla and pouring it into a pan when it's smooth?  i LOVE that recipe, make it every christmas.  i also add a pinch of cinnamon, yummy!

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2007, 07:04:01 PM »
I don't mind sharing recipes, but my family doesn't have any secret family recipes.  My mom can't cook to save her life.  Once she was making carrot cake but had no carrots so used green beans instead.  Nobody has ever asked her for a recipe.

I like cooking, and all my recipes are either from the internet or made up myself.  I almost never measure, though, so it's hard to pass along my made up recipes.  They usually end up just a list of ingredients.

shygirl

« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »
I don't mind sharing recipes, but my family doesn't have any secret family recipes.  My mom can't cook to save her life.  Once she was making carrot cake but had no carrots so used green beans instead.  Nobody has ever asked her for a recipe.

This is hilarious!  Also, kind of gross.

It kind of reminds me of my dad, who wanted to make chocolate chip cookies one day.  Except we didn't have any chocolate chip cookies, so instead he put in a type of salty, spicy Indian snack.  That was probably 20 or so years ago.  To this day, he still insists that those cookies were good.

I personally don't mind sharing recipes, but I usually get my stuff online and make adjustments to what I like more.

ETA:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombay_mix 
This link has a good description and picture of the snack my dad substitued for chocolate chips, in case any one was curious.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:16:05 PM by shygirl »

caranfin

• I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »
So, those of you who don't like to share recipes, are you ok with someone politely asking why when you say no?

Of course. In fact, I explain why I say no without even being asked. "I'm sorry, I don't give out that recipe... if you knew how easy it was, it wouldn't be special." Of course, the fact that it's from an ancient Better Homes & Gardens cookbook means its neither unique nor proprietary, and if someone else finds it they're welcome to it. But I'm not going to help them.  ;D  Actually, I did give it to a friend once, and she managed to botch it up completely because she didn't believe it could actually be as simple as the steps said, so she tried to figure out what I had "left out."  ::)
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Brentwood

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2007, 08:31:41 PM »
Anybody know a good recipe for bean dip?

Actually, I do...!  ;D

Brentwood

« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »
Tabbage,

Promising my MIL that I would not share the family recipes that she handed over to me is a power trip?

So be it, I am a cooking goddess in my own kitchen - feel my might.

If you want the chocolate chip cookie changes that I pull on the standard Tollhouse recipe on the bag?  It's already posted in the recipe section. 

I ran out of vanilla extract halfway through a batch and substituted almond flavoring for the rest of the vanilla - then discovered (trial & error reading books on "kitchen chemistry") that the melting point of various fats differed and which fats made cake-type cookies (biscuits for the UK), which made bar type cookies, and so forth - then tweaked the substitution list to make a cookie that was the perfect CHEWY cookie (also works for bar cookies but is not cake-like). 

I think VorFemme has already posted it to the recipe folder some time since..........

Now - as to how to sew a knitting bag like mine with a hidden compartment for a blaster & stunner?  I am not sharing - you  might work for airport security.

Reading the comments about people changing recipes given to them and now your post about chocolate chip cookies makes me think of this - I am often asked for "my" recipe for chocolate chip cookies. It's the recipe my mother has been using for chocolate chip cookies for about 50 years, and they are (if I do say so myself) the best chocolate chip cookies ever.

The "secret" is that the fat in the recipe is solid shortening - no butter. The shortening gives the cookies their wonderful texture. I have given the recipe to people who substitute butter for half or all of the shortening, and then they wonder why the cookies aren't exactly like mine.

My sister actually improved upon the recipe by increasing the ratio of brown sugar to white sugar. :)

Mom says to be absolutely the best, they must be made with milk chocolate chips. Semi-sweet chips are wonderful for some things, but she insists on milk chocolate for the cookies.