Author Topic: People that WILL NOT share recipes  (Read 51033 times)

Cz. Burrito

Re: People that WILL NOT share recipes
« Reply #585 on: February 10, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »
If you want it, I'll post it in the "Recipes" section.  But.........

******WARNING******

Only sugar and "fold" as much dough as will fit in a pan at a time.

On the up side, none of you can call me!   ;D

I am also intrigued (I googled for a recipe and see what you're talking about with the folding of the sugar and only doing it one pan at a time).  And I promise not to PM you if I mess it up by not following directions.   ;D

little bird

• we defy augury
« Reply #586 on: February 10, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »
If you want it, I'll post it in the "Recipes" section.  But.........

******WARNING******

Only sugar and "fold" as much dough as will fit in a pan at a time.

On the up side, none of you can call me!   ;D

I would love it.  And I promise, I won't even PM you.  If it works out fabulously and is delicious, I'll give you all the credit but if I do something stupid and screw it up, won't mention it at all.
there's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow

I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #587 on: February 10, 2009, 03:57:36 PM »
Fidgets... I am so intrigued by that recipe.  I am googling a few and I see what you mean by starved yeast.  However, they are all vague enough that I'm not sure I trust myself to do it properly on their directions!

When I give out my family's one true traditional recipe, I always include the warnings my mother passed down to me.  Having eaten a few of her attempts that went wrong (they were edible and still good, but not AMAZING), I can even tell the person what will go wrong if you take shortcuts.

Fidgets

« Reply #588 on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »
It's posted in the "Recipes" section.  Have at it and enjoy!  I love them because they're sweet, but not too sweet. 

My poor Mom!  I remember for years, how she disliked my great-aunt, Ragna.  She'd hounded Mom and my Mom's mom (Grandma) for the recipe.  She (Ragna) was a Norwegian and thus real baker!  They (Mom and Grandma) didn't know squat since they were Swedish.  Ragna wound up with The Blob all over her kitchen...I don't know how much she'd multiplied the recipe by.  Counters covered in dough, floors covered in sugar syrup where the dough had wept.  Oh, man, she was cranked!  And, of course, it was all Mom's fault; she must have sabotaged the recipe somehow or other.  Mom owed her the cost of the wasted ingredients....selfish wretch...yadda-yadda.

The best part, the part that gave my Mom wild giggling fits, is that at a family dinner, Ragna was once again telling her tale of woe and perfidious nieces to my great-aunt, Svea, her sister-on-law (and a Swede).  Mom said when Ragna started telling about how her kitchen looked (with great dramatics and gestures), expecting some sympany from her SIL, Svea started roaring with laughter until she was crying.  And then, great-uncle John (Ragna's husband), nudged Ragna with his elbow and said, "I guess us Swedes must know something about baking you don't know!"  I think poor John may have wound up on the couch that night.   >:D

Fidgets

« Reply #589 on: February 10, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »
I feel like Tim the Enchanter..."I warned ye!  But, oh no, you wouldn't listen...."   ;) 

LOL! Death awaits you all! With big, nasty, sticky syrup!

;D ;D ;D ;D

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #590 on: February 10, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »
Hahaha!  I think that's a great recipe to share with people who won't stop pestering you for recipes!  >:D

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #591 on: February 10, 2009, 06:53:39 PM »
This reminds me of the time MIL asked one of her students for his mother's tamale recipe.

I should note that, here in Southeast Texas, many women of Mexican descent make money by making big batches of tamales and selling them.  Making tamales from scratch, the traditional way, is very difficult.

So, MIL asked for the recipe.  The next day the student brought it.  I have it in MIL's recipe box.  It starts with:

1 (one) cow's head

I don't think MIL got any farther than that.  And yes, many of the grocery stores in my town sell cow's, pig's, and sheep's head, out in the butcher case next to the ground beef.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #592 on: February 11, 2009, 12:18:51 AM »
if I give you* this particular recipe and you don't follow the directions ****exactly****, you are going to wind up with a dough blob challenging the "real" Blob for supremacy, your kitchen will be a disaster area and there is a fair-to-middlin' chance that you will never, ever get unstuck from your kitchen floor.  You will, unfortunately and judging by previous scenarios, be able to get to the phone (which you will now be stuck to.  Forever.) and call me up wanting to know how to fix it (impossible) and/or call me every name in the book interlaced with rude assumptions about my maternity and antecedents, along with accusations that I sabotaged the recipe.

Fidgets, thanks for that awesome imagery!

And [brief threadjack] thank you, everyone on this thread who reminded me about the importance of following recipes exactly. See, I've been taking some shortcuts recently and wondering why some of my creations aren't coming out as good as they used to. Example: For years I've been making my brownies by melting the butter in the microwave, and leaving out the vanilla -- because what difference is two teaspoons of vanilla going to make? And who has time to wait around for the darned butter to melt on the stove over low heat?

I just dug out the recipe and did it the old way -- slow melt and vanilla added. I made two batches of brownies and they are the best I've made in years. Little things really do mean a lot in baking!

Thanks also to the timing deity for letting me find this thread just before I had to start baking for the morris team's annual food sale at our local weekend dance festival.

[/end threadjack]
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #593 on: February 11, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »
I have a new recipe for this thread - one I just found, and thus cannot claim it as my own work.

It is awesome, and easy:  I cooked it in an angel food cake pan, but a bundt pan would work, or even I bet cupcakes.

Take 1 basic yellow cake mix
add 1 small package chocolate - the darker the better - pudding
add 1/2 cup sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients together so their are no little yellow lumps left from the cake mix.
Set aside

Mix together 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 cup sour cream and 4 eggs, beaten.

Add 3/4 cup of water to the butter, sour cream and egg mixture.

Turn the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the wet and dry together well.  Add 1 cup mini chocolate chips.

Pour into well oiled pan.  Bake for 60 minutes, checking the last twenty minutes to make sure the cake is done.

Remove for the oven, take from pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

This is so good, I think I will go have another piece.

Happy baking to everyone.

Made these this morning using cupcake pans. Only took about 25 min to cook that way, and made a huge batch. I think they are fine as is, but I know DH will want me to frost them the next time I make them. (Add I already doubled the amount of choc chips called for to make it sweeter)

nekoro

« Reply #594 on: May 07, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »
I have a new recipe for this thread - one I just found, and thus cannot claim it as my own work.

It is awesome, and easy:  I cooked it in an angel food cake pan, but a bundt pan would work, or even I bet cupcakes.

Take 1 basic yellow cake mix
add 1 small package chocolate - the darker the better - pudding
add 1/2 cup sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients together so their are no little yellow lumps left from the cake mix.
Set aside

Mix together 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 cup sour cream and 4 eggs, beaten.

Add 3/4 cup of water to the butter, sour cream and egg mixture.

Turn the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the wet and dry together well.  Add 1 cup mini chocolate chips.

Pour into well oiled pan.  Bake for 60 minutes, checking the last twenty minutes to make sure the cake is done.

Remove for the oven, take from pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

This is so good, I think I will go have another piece.

Happy baking to everyone.

This is almost exactly the same cake that Grandma found a couple of years ago, and my family has been raving ever since!

Our version just uses oil instead of butter, no extra sugar, and we just toss everything into one bowl and mix until done.  We also double the chocolate chips.  Then we put it in a bundt cake pan that looks like a castle.  For birthdays, put candles in the turrets.

The nice thing is that you can use any kind of cake/pudding mix, and get a different cake each time.  (Once I made it with yellow cake, butterscotch pudding, and dark chocolate chips.  Mmmmmmm.)