Author Topic: Georgia peach cobbler  (Read 1786 times)

thebadchemist

Georgia peach cobbler
« on: January 16, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »
I went to a local restaurant that specialized in delicacies from the Gulf Coast. The dessert, a beautifully-crusted Georgia peach cobbler, was divine. I would love to make my own.

Does anyone have a great peach cobbler recipe they'd like to share? I like my cobblers with lots of crumbly crust.

amiboo

Re: Georgia peach cobbler
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 02:15:48 AM »
This is a crisp not a cobbler but it's fabulous and since no ones posted a cobbler I thought you might like to try it.  It's a very easy dessert with wholesome granola and oats for the topping. Not too sweet for those who prefer natural peach flavors. Good peaches make the difference, but you can use frozen.

Peach Crisp
4-5 cups fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced (frozen if necessary)
1 tablespoon Minute Tapioca
cp quick cooking oats
cp honey granola (2 Quaker Crunchy Granola bars, (Oats, Nut & Honey), crushed)
cp all-purpose flour
cp packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
cp butter 

Cool Whip
Vanilla Ice Cream
Caramel Ice Cream Topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a medium bowl, combine the oats, granola, flour, brown sugar, spices and nuts. Cut in the butter until crumbly.

Place peach slices in an 8-inch square baking dish.  Sprinkle with tapioca and gently toss the peaches a bit. Scatter the oat/granola mixture over the peaches.  Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Positively decadent served warm with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with carmel ice cream topping.  Put a dollop of Cool Whip on top to finish it off. 

Ive doubled this in a 9x11 dish.  It made lots of yummy crisp and the peaches were perfect. 

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 01:25:24 PM »
OK, for a peach cobbler I sometimes cheat and use canned peach pie filling, and I do my crust 1 of 2 ways

More traditional is 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar (I usually mix white and light brown depending on what I have on hand) and 1 stick butter COLD (just out of the fridge) then I crumble it together with my hands and top my cobbler or pie or whatever and bake.  If I am making an apple cobbler or pie, I sometimes add 1/2 cup of quick oats (Oatmeal)

The other way is one I like and it is called a "dump cake" so you just take a package of yellow cake mix and the butter and do the same thing.

I am usually a cobbler cheater when it comes to fillings except for apple, so other may have better sugggestions for fillings, but I usually just peel and slice my peaches and toss them with a little corn startch, sugar and cream of tartar and put in a greased baking pan and top with the crumbles.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:20:31 PM »
This is also a crisp, not a cobbler, but it is GOOD! The almond extract is really the ingredient that makes it special:

6 Fresh peaches, peeled and chopped (or sliced)
1 cup flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, soft
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine peaches with almond extract and place in a greased 8-inch pan. Combine the rest of the ingredients until you have a crumbly consistency. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the peaches. Bake for 45 minutes.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."