Author Topic: Carrots.....HELP!  (Read 2945 times)

ILikeShinny

Re: Carrots.....HELP!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 04:05:09 AM »
Here is a great site (http://www.carrotrecipes.net/), plus you should try mincing the carrots in a food processor and added them to any meal. Like have pasta and tomato sauce and then add the minced carrots into the sauce, plus if you have kids, they'll eat the barley recognisable carrots. ;)

CitCat21

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »
Try some candied carrots....

INGREDIENTS
1 pound carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter, diced
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 pinch salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS
Place carrots in a pot of salted water. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to a high simmer and cook about 20 to 30 minutes. Do not cook the carrots to a mushy stage!
Drain the carrots, reduce the heat to its lowest possible setting and return the carrots to the pan. Stir in butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until sugar is bubbly. Serve hot!

Minmom3

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 04:37:24 PM »
2 totally different things to do with carrots (cooked)

1) lightly boil them, al dente or so, not to mush!  Drain very well, and put in a bowl or container and pour a good oil and vinegar salad dressing over them (home made is best).  This gives a very mild but flavorful 'nearly pickled' carrot to eat.  But not hard, raw and crunchy, which I don't like in this style of dish.  A salad-y small side dish, you wouldn't want an enormous serving, but I think they're really tasty.

2)  Cut 2 lbs. into an even medium dice and boil in salted water until cooked to your level of doneness, and drain well. 
Put 3 tbs butter, 3tbs prepared mustard (we use a dijon type) and 1/4 C brown sugar in a small saucepan and cook until butter is syrupy, about 3 minutes.  Pour over carrots and simmer for 5 minutes (I don't do this part, I serve it once well stirred together).  Sprinkle with 1/4 C chopped fresh parsley just prior to serving.  My kids like this, and none of us like nekked boiled carrots (but DH does...)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »
Carrots are divine.  :)

This is quite possibly my favorite side dish of all time:

CARROT SOUFFLE

You need 6 cups of finely chopped carrots (peeled) and one large onion, finely
chopped, along with a couple of teaspoons of salt and maybe 1 t. of pepper.
Cook all that in a few cups of water, bring to a boil, then continue to cook until
they're tender.

Drain the whole thing and save about a cup of the liquid and
throw away the rest. Put the carrot/onion mix into a bowl and then mash it all
up pretty finely -- not to the point of puree, though. (You're not going for mashed potatoes, leave some bits of carrot here and there') Add about 2 cups
of sharp, finely-grated cheddar, 2 T butter, and about 15-20 crackers (Ritz,
Club, even saltines, but I like the buttery flavored ones best), maybe 2 T of
green onion (I use mostly the bright green part, just for some color.) Stir
that all up (it's dry) and then add as much as you need of the liquid to a make
it a thick mixture. (You might not need any) and pepper to taste. 

Put it into a  very-well buttered souffle dish (you could even  use an 8" round
cake pan, it's not going to rise much) and sprinkle it with
some pepper, then bake it at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

To save time, you can just coarse-grate the carrots, onions and cheese in the food processor.

ETA:  I love all the carrot ideas in this thread! Fantastic.  Cookies?  YUM!  Gotta try those!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 12:35:09 PM by ZipTheWonder »