Author Topic: Those "awful" teenagers!  (Read 2013 times)

oogyda

Those "awful" teenagers!
« on: January 16, 2007, 06:03:12 PM »
How many times have you heard that?   Well, let me tell you about a group of "awful" teenagers!

It did happen a few years ago...but only a few. 

ODD was in a coed gym class.  One of the boys was a little "slow" (I apologize for this reference, but I do not know what kind of difficulties or disability he had).  Because of that and the wonderful utilization of Velcro on tennis shoes, the young man had never learned how to tie his shoes.  During this class, he was teased about it.  One day, they had some testing where the instructor could only take a few at a time  which left the others sitting around the on the bleachers. 

While waiting, some of the guys started teaching the above mentioned boy how to ties shoes.  He learned it just in that one class.

When giving ODD her lunch money and allowance for the next week, she asked if she could have two dollars more.  After she paid for lunch, she'd only have $3 left, and everyone in the gym class had been asked to donate $5.  Okay, but why?

They were pitching in to buy the young man a *nice* pair of athletic shoes with LACES!  The gym teacher (a baseball coach) later said that he'd never been so proud of one of his "teams". 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Maggie

Re: Those "awful" teenagers!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
OK you made me cry.  That's an amazing story.  Those parents and that Coach should be very proud of those 'awful' teenagers.

Having said that my daughter who was 3 at the time taught her 5 year old brother how to tie his shoes.  She has never let him forget it.

MsApril

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »
Just when you dispare of teens and the way they treat others, they suprise you.
My son is in special ed, he has been his whole school career.
2 years ago, he was nominated, and won the position of "prince" on the homecoming court.
Very exciting for me, and a surprise to the teacher that lead the group.
Teens are and can be wonderful.
There is hope forthe future after all

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:41:36 PM »
When I was in high school we had a boy in our graduating class who had Down's. He was special ed, but he was walking with us as it was his grad year and his day to shine as well.
We had a very formal grad and had been threatened within an inch of our lives to be less than reverent and silent, it was like military school or something...ridiculous.
But when it was his turn to cross the stage, we threw caution to the wind and gave him a helluva footstomping, whistling and hollering standing ovation. He clenched his fists over his head and jumped up and down like Rocky for us. It was awesome.
Your daughter and her friends did something very beautiful. You have every right to be proud and kudos for raising such a sweet kid.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Irish Clovers

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 11:01:15 PM »
Very nice story!   ;D  It's nice to hear stories like this.  All to often we hear only the bad stuff. 

Kudos!