Author Topic: For your sanity  (Read 777 times)

demetra

For your sanity
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:25:56 PM »
If you don't like coke to get you in a better mood, some of these recipes serve the same purpose -

Anti-oxidant Facial
3 tsp pectin
1/8-cup hot water
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp vitamin C powder
1/8 tsp glycerin
Dissolve the pectin in the hot water; add the rest of the ingredients and stir.  Pat onto your face, cover with a muslin or gauze sheet and wait ten minutes.  Rinse off with water.

Apple mask for normal skin
1 Apple, cored, quartered
2 tbs Honey
1/2 tsp Sage
Drop apple into food processor and chop. Add honey and sage and refrigerate 10 mins. Pat mixture onto your face with a light tapping motion, tapping until honey feels tacky. Leave on for 30 mins, rinse.

Avocado and Coconut Mask
1 med avocado, mashed
1 tsp coconut oil
Stir together until it makes a creamy paste.  Apply to skin and let sit for 15-20 minutes before washing off.

Barley Yogurt Mask
1/4-cup barley
1/4-cup water
1/4-cup plain yogurt.
Warm the barley and water on the stove until about 200F.  Remove from heat, cover, and let stand overnight.  Strain off the water, and combine the barley with the yogurt.  Apply to face and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes, and then wash it off gently.

Cucumber and Green Clay
1/8-cup French clay
1 medium cucumber, peeled and mashed
1 tsp sweet almond oil
Water
Mix together the ingredients, adding just enough water to make a very moist paste.  Put on face and let sit until dry, 10-15 minutes.  Wash off.

Cucumber Mask for Oily Skin
1/2 Cucumber
1 Egg white
1 tb Lemon juice
1 ts Mint
Puree all and refrigerate 10 mins. Apply mixture to your face and leave on 15 mins. Rinse with hot, then cool water.

Farmerís Mask
2 egg whites, chilled
1/8 tsp cornstarch
Whip the egg whites until they form peaks, and then slowly add the cornstarch.  Apply to face immediately, and then leave on for 20 minutes.  Rinse off with warm water.

Honey, Vinegar, and Almond Mask
2-tbls honey
1/4 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp sweet almond oil
Put the honey in a glass cup and warm in the microwave just long enough to make it soft and pliable but not hot.  Stir in the other ingredients until blended smoothly and apply to face.  Leave it on your skin for 15 minutes before removing with tissues and rinsing with water.

Peach Tightening Mask
1 Peach, ripe, peeled, pitted
1 Egg white
Whip peach and egg white together in a blender until smooth.
Gently pat mixture all over your face, relax 30 mins, then rinse off with cool water.

Rosemary and Creamy Milk
1/4-cup mayonnaise
1/8-cup honey
4 tbls powdered milk
2 drops rosemary essential oil
Heat the honey to make it easy to mix, and then blend with the mayonnaise, powdered milk, and essential oil.  Let cool, then stir again and apply to face.  Let sit for 15 minutes then wash off.

Soy Mask with Mint
1/4-cup soy powder
1/4-cup plain yogurt
1-2 drops peppermint essential oil
Mix the soy powder and yogurt to make a paste, and then add essential oil.  Pat onto face and let sit for 30 minutes.  Rinse off with water.

Strawberry Drawing Mask
1/2 c Strawberries, very ripe
1/4 c Cornstarch
Mix strawberries and cornstarch together to make a paste and apply to face, avoiding the  delicate area around your eyes. Leave on for 30 mins and rinse off with cool water.

Whole-wheat-flour Mask
1 qt.  water
4 tsp.  dried or 8 tsp.  fresh rose petals
Peels from 1-2 organic oranges
6 tbsp.  Milk
2 tbsp.  rose water
2 tsp.  honey
4 tbsp.  whole-wheat-flour
Boil the water and remove from the heat.  Add the rose petals and orange peels, cover, and allow to steep until lukewarm or cool.
In a separate pan, heat the milk, floral water and honey; remove from the heat.  Add the flour and whisk into a thick paste.
Apply the warm paste uniformly to the face and neck.  Leave on for 15- 20 minutes.
Carefully wash off the dried mask with the fragrant rose-orange water.  Pat dry.
Apply your favorite moisturizing cream to the skin.

Yogurt Wonder Mud Mask
4-tbls fullerís earth or French clay
2-tbls water
2-tbls plain yogurt
Mix together to make a smooth paste.  Apply to face using gentle, upward strokes and avoiding the area immediately around the eyes.  Let sit for 15 minutes until dry, and then rinse off with warm water.

Tranquility Massage Oil
1 cup apricot kernel Oil
1/4-cup virgin olive oil
1 tsp wheatgerm oil
1 tsp jojoba oil
3 drops lavender essential or fragrance oil
2 drops rose essential or fragrance oil
1-drop chamomile essential or fragrance oil
2 drops vanilla essential or fragrance oil
1-drop allspice essential or fragrance oil
Mix together.  Store in a dark amber glass bottle.
Shelf life - 4 months

Fizzy Bath Crystals
1/4-cup baking soda
1/4 citric acid, powdered
3-4 drops essential oil
Mix the baking soda and citric acid together and add the essential oil.  Store in a cool, dry place.  Alternately, add just a drop or two of sweet almond oil and press it hard into a candy mold, overfilling slightly.  Set a heavy book on top to finish compressing it into the mold overnight.
Shelf life - 3 months

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: For your sanity
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:41:16 AM »
I read all these masks, and now I'm hungry.  They sound yummy.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Sefie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:25:54 AM »
These sound GORGEOUS :D

Just adding in my favourite home-made product:

LEMON CINNAMON SUGAR SCRUB
1 cup sugar (I use raw sugar for a body scrub, finer grained sugar can be used for a face scrub or sensitive skin)
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs milk
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp cinnamon

Mix thoroughly, then use as a scrub in the shower.  I usually vary the amount of olive oil and milk depending on how juicy the lemon is, and how long it's been since I last scrubbed.  I try to use it once a week.

Liebling

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:33:59 PM »
I make a sugar scrub as well, but I just mix sugar (normal white for body, castor for face and neck) with the cheapest moisturiser I can find to make a thick paste. It sticks to your body so you can turn the shower off while you scrub and save water.

It is cheap, and seriously works wonders. People are always commenting on my soft skin.

Just make sure to rinse the shower recess or bath well when you're done though. Once I got ants  :)