News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 22, 2017, 09:50:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!  (Read 158625 times)

Nuku

Re: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!
« Reply #1125 on: Yesterday at 05:44:36 PM »
Lately two guys (who I am sure are college age) have been riding around my neighborhood on skateboards. At night. On the road. The first time I saw them, they were heading the wrong way down a one-way street. In the lane next to my car. It terrified me to see them come out of the darkness. A few days ago, I saw them in the bike lane (not a path, a lane next to traffic and beside parked cars), and one seemed to be recording himself on his phone. I'm pretty sure that they think that traffic will just magically disappear around them, and I really hope that they get some sense before something bad happens to them.

I've also seen a guy riding his skateboard while his leashed dog pulls him. I think he's just a jerk who doesn't understand how dangerous could be for his dog. (My first thought when I saw this was that I knew who the brains of that operation was, and he wasn't on the board.)

I'm fine with skaters, but I'm getting tired of seeing people who seem to think that a skateboard is somehow equivalent to a bike as a reasonably safe method of transportation. All it takes is some rough road or a small piece or rock or debris to wipe out. All the skaters I knew when I was younger would have thought these guys were idiots, and now this kind of thing seems to be standard in my city.  >:(

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1126 on: Yesterday at 05:54:33 PM »
Look at the number of puerile who saw that Deadpool was a "superhero" movie and rented it for their kids...
Former video store clerk...we had it happen all the time with other movies. They would demand their money back. How dare we let them (the parents) rent such a movie! First of all, I don't know whether you are renting a movie for you or your kids. Secondly, some parents allow children to see R-rated movies. I am not there to judge whether a movie is appropriate for your kids. I don't know your kids. I had one lady that was so upset when she rented her son an anime movie. If she would have looked at the box for 10 seconds, she would have realized that it had scrabble and violence.

Sometimes the video stores didn't really know their movies either.  I remember showing the clerk in Blockbuster (more than once) that Sigourney Weaver's version of Snow White (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119227/) really didn't belong in with the Disney movies.

Or that certain types of anime are not equivalent to cartoons, and shouldn't be in the kids' section...
"Set aphasia to stun!"

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1127 on: Yesterday at 08:49:03 PM »
Not sure if this is special snowflake or not, but certainly strange!

Went to a performance of RENT this past weekend.   For those that may not know, it's a musical set in New York City, about a group of artists (some gay, some not) and their struggles with AIDS, drugs and life in general.

The man and his wife sitting behind us left before intermission.  We could hear them complain - "Why on earth is there so much singing in this show?   And why are there so many homosexuals?   And why is that man dressed as a woman!""

They didn't demand the show stop or anything.   I'm just wondering how they wound up there no having a clue as to what the show was about.

I don't think it is snowflake - they were not disruptive, and not everyone is familiar with the show (and lots of people chose not to research too much before seeing something to avoid spoilers)

I once went to a performance of 'King Lear' where some people near me walked out following the scene with Gloucester and the eyeballs. I was surprised, but wouldn't see them as snowflakes)

I wouldn't say walking out is snowflaky (especially if done during intermission, or other time when it would cause little to no disruption to other theater-goers), but a running commentary loud enough for others to hear is not of optimal politeness.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

BigBadBetty

« Reply #1128 on: Yesterday at 09:49:05 PM »
Look at the number of puerile who saw that Deadpool was a "superhero" movie and rented it for their kids...
Former video store clerk...we had it happen all the time with other movies. They would demand their money back. How dare we let them (the parents) rent such a movie! First of all, I don't know whether you are renting a movie for you or your kids. Secondly, some parents allow children to see R-rated movies. I am not there to judge whether a movie is appropriate for your kids. I don't know your kids. I had one lady that was so upset when she rented her son an anime movie. If she would have looked at the box for 10 seconds, she would have realized that it had scrabble and violence.

Sometimes the video stores didn't really know their movies either.  I remember showing the clerk in Blockbuster (more than once) that Sigourney Weaver's version of Snow White (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119227/) really didn't belong in with the Disney movies.

Or that certain types of anime are not equivalent to cartoons, and shouldn't be in the kids' section...
This was an independent store staffed by move nerds. We had a separate Anime section where this movie was located. The box art for this movie made it very clear what type of movie it was. The movie description said what it what about. She just wasn't paying attention to what her son picking out. (I would say about he was about 13 - old enough to know he was not looking at a children's movie).

shadowfox79

« Reply #1129 on: Today at 01:38:51 AM »
Had a theatre-based one a couple of weeks ago.

This particular production of "Richard III" had attracted some press attention as the lead actor is disabled - he was a Thalidomide baby and has short arms. As a result he played Richard without the traditional humpback or limp. I'll say now that he was excellent.

Apparently the woman behind me had missed the press, because she spent most of the first act muttering behind me about "that [offensive word]" and how people like that shouldn't be acting. She then noticed that the two women next to me had the same condition and started mouthing off about them. I was sincerely hoping she would be disgusted enough to leave at the interval, but she didn't.

The stage was a traverse, meaning the audience were on opposite sides with the stage in the middle at floor level. Just as they reached the battle scene, a man in the front row opposite me fainted onto the stage. The actors immediately called a halt and went to see if he was all right. He apparently was, and was led off by a woman who I'm guessing was his wife, at which point the actors continued.

And from behind me, "Ugh! He was probably drunk! So disrespectful to the actors!"

Luckily I heard her slip out during the standing ovation, because I was grinding my teeth down to stumps not to say something to her.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #1130 on: Today at 09:44:26 AM »
I work in a UK University. This week we have graduations, so the main campus is stuffed full of happy graduates and their families all dressed in their best and celebrating the occasion. Coincidentally, the UK is currently experiencing the hottest weather we have had in decades.  Very few UK buildings are set up to deal with this type of heat, so we are all melting. 

Just now I decided to give up on the report I am supposed to be reading and went to the cafe to get an iced coffee.  There was a huge queue.  I sighed inwardly and joined the end of it.  Luckily it wasn't moving terribly slowly, but obviously not fast enough for one girl.  The queue started a little way back from the counter as there were 3 baristas, and the person at the front went to whichever was available first.  The girl I mentioned grabbed a coke from the fridge and marched straight up to the counter.  I was too far back to hear what the barista said, but she pointed to the queue.  The girl then said very loudly "But I only want a coke, I don't need you to make me a drink!"  Again the barista quietly indicated the queue.  After several repetitions, the girl put the can of coke on the counter and flounced away. (Yes, she did flounce - she was wearing a very nice dress with a full skirt, that flounced beautifully!  >:D )

I'm sort of surprised about them having her wait in the coffee que. Our office building has a coffee shop but they also sell other items like snacks and refrigerated beverages. If someone is only wanting to pay for an item the next open barista will check them out before taking the next coffee order. Now that I think about it, the coffee shop near my house will do the same thing. They don't expect people who are buying self serve items to wait in the coffee que.

But anyway, the girl shouldn't have flounced out and should have returned the item to the refrigerator instead of leaving it on the counter.