News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 23, 2017, 06:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 2028018 times)

pattycake

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #6960 on: August 21, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
Wow.  They've been engaged for three and a half years, and then 3 weeks before an already-planned trip to go see the eclipse, they have the brilliant idea to get married during it!

Only, they hadn't set a date until now, so they hadn't set any money aside for their wedding and oh, surprise, surprise, weddings are expensive!  So won't you help them meet their $10,000 Go Fund Me goal so they can have their hastily planned three-whole-week-dream eclipse wedding?

https://www.gofundme.com/eclipsewedding

Okay but... they can still do this. All they have to do is this: Find someone to marry them. Say quick vows as the eclipse is happening, kiss. Boom done. Guess what it will cost? The cost of the person marrying them, and the marriage liscense. They don't need to drop 10k on something fancy! Isn't love and a lasting marraige the more important thing here?!

How dare you bring logic into this situation :D
Fortunately, most of the rest of the world sees the logic - in three weeks they've raised $170.

Luci

« Reply #6961 on: August 21, 2017, 09:25:11 AM »
Wow.  They've been engaged for three and a half years, and then 3 weeks before an already-planned trip to go see the eclipse, they have the brilliant idea to get married during it!

Only, they hadn't set a date until now, so they hadn't set any money aside for their wedding and oh, surprise, surprise, weddings are expensive!  So won't you help them meet their $10,000 Go Fund Me goal so they can have their hastily planned three-whole-week-dream eclipse wedding?

Okay but... they can still do this. All they have to do is this: Find someone to marry them. Say quick vows as the eclipse is happening, kiss. Boom done. Guess what it will cost? The cost of the person marrying them, and the marriage liscense. They don't need to drop 10k on something fancy! Isn't love and a lasting marraige the more important thing here?!

Fortunately, most of the rest of the world sees the logic - in three weeks they've raised $170.

In addition to the above, this would be a destination wedding for many, and as some people have booked places a year ago or made plans, how many propel could come.

Of course the important reason not to donate is stated by Nikko-Chan in the first comment!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6962 on: August 21, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »
The eclipse couple have three donor levels. At the lowest level, you will be named in the slide show of the wedding they will put up on YouTube. At the middle level, they will actually send you a thank you note, plus a photo of them kissing. The lucky big spenders get a combination card.e holder/snow globe with a starry theme--hand made by the couple.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

pattycake

« Reply #6963 on: Yesterday at 09:26:12 AM »
Notice:
 You have to appear in Court on 26th August 2017.
 Copy of the Court Notice is attached to this email.
 Please click <http://home.earthlink.net/~jefferysmth/ZZIMRA/zbi.(deleted)> here<https://forms.zohopublic.com/gis2/form/COURTFORM/formperma/(deleted)><http://home.earthlink.net/~ioioioi/co/COURT_CONFI_DOCUMENT.(deleted)>  and read it thoroughly.

Yours faithfully,

Court Secretary
 Gilchrist Jane

Why? What court even?  And the email is li at li dot com, not even an attempt at spoofing a court type address, and, thankfully, no attachment, just links.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6964 on: Yesterday at 11:31:57 AM »

In addition to the above, this would be a destination wedding for many, and as some people have booked places a year ago or made plans, how many propel could come.

Of course the important reason not to donate is stated by Nikko-Chan in the first comment!

A day after the event I see they still are at $170   hmmm, go figure. 

3angels

« Reply #6965 on: Today at 03:07:53 PM »
Apparently the new thing for scammers is to call in the middle of the night, waking you up, hoping that your half asleep state will keep you from realizing it's a scam until it's too late.

Not cool when you have a family member in the late stages of a terminal illness  >:( 

Twik

« Reply #6966 on: Today at 03:58:08 PM »
Apparently the new thing for scammers is to call in the middle of the night, waking you up, hoping that your half asleep state will keep you from realizing it's a scam until it's too late.

Not cool when you have a family member in the late stages of a terminal illness  >:(

That's vile. Is there any way you can block all numbers except essential ones? If not, the phone companies should be working on it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sirius

« Reply #6967 on: Today at 04:21:16 PM »

Had someone call at 11:30 p.m.  I was still up when the call came, and the person told me, "I know it's late, but this is important!"  They got an earful from me.  Mr. Sirius and I have elderly parents, so a call in the middle of the night would wake us up instantly.   

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6968 on: Today at 06:07:47 PM »

Had someone call at 11:30 p.m.  I was still up when the call came, and the person told me, "I know it's late, but this is important!"  They got an earful from me.  Mr. Sirius and I have elderly parents, so a call in the middle of the night would wake us up instantly.

I don't think there's anything that could make me be polite under those circumstances.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture