News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 21, 2017, 01:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 3049753 times)

gramma dishes

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #20835 on: Yesterday at 10:49:32 AM »
Xaxivette
Kjayla
Irj

I think I've got the -vette part, but Xaxi has me stumped..

Zaa Zuh Vette?   ???

Marjorie

« Reply #20836 on: Yesterday at 11:23:46 AM »
I saw a personalized license plate for "Ulicia." Made me wonder if that was truly the spelling, or if "Alicia" was already taken.

And AliciaLynette, thanks for sharing that about all the variations of Alan/et al. I had seen most of those you listed, but Alun was new!

No problem hun!  Welsh names are actually really interesting to look at from a linguistics point of view, because sometimes they're really obviously a variant of an english name, and sometimes they're a really bizarre spelling/pronunciation and look totally different to the english version!

And Starry Diadem, I agree with you that it's easy to google them, but with the trend for kreativ spellings, most people default to that rather than a regional/linguistic difference.

Welsh names are legitimate in themselves not bizarre versions of english names. It's a shame that people are too lazy or ignorant to grasp that.

Marjorie

« Reply #20837 on: Yesterday at 11:30:02 AM »

...   Possibly, but it takes about three seconds to google it before pointing the derisive finger. ...

This is a conversational site, not a research one (although we all do some of that sometimes).  I don't think anyone here is pointing a "derisive" finger at names that are unusual to us.  We simply tell how we would probably be likely to pronounce them if they appeared before us on a list or something.  That's not 'making fun of' the name.  It's just acknowledging that it's unfamiliar. 

As AliciaLynette says:
... but with the trend for kreativ spellings, most people default to that rather than a regional/linguistic difference.

This entire thread consists of people being derisive of unfamiliar names. When you make your snide rude comments about them you are claiming the authority that researching them would give you.

Vall

« Reply #20838 on: Yesterday at 01:22:42 PM »
Xaxivette
Kjayla
Irj
I'm afraid to even try to pronounce the one with an X.
I wonder if the one with a K has a silent K or if it is Kay-jay-la.

GardenGal

« Reply #20839 on: Yesterday at 04:27:41 PM »
My husband's college friend named his son River.  Made no sense to us.

Ive heard of a gal whose name was Galadriel (from the Lord of the Rings).  Supposedly the gal, in response to years of queries about her name, got her reply down to 2 words: "Hippy parents."
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

DillyGirl

« Reply #20840 on: Yesterday at 05:13:19 PM »
Xaxivette
Kjayla
Irj

I thought the j was silent in the second one, and it was pronounced "Kay-la".
The other two are a complete mystery to me.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #20841 on: Yesterday at 06:28:49 PM »

That might be after River Phoenix, and/or wanting a name that not a lot of other people have. At least it's easy to spell and pronounce.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #20842 on: Yesterday at 10:46:14 PM »
Xaxivette
Kjayla
Irj

I thought the j was silent in the second one, and it was pronounced "Kay-la".
The other two are a complete mystery to me.
I'd go with Zazivet (given that Xanadu is pronounced Zanadoo).

The j in the other two might be pronounced like a Y (like Tatjana is pronounced Tatyana) or an I. So it could be Kyala or Kee-ala. And the third one might be Iri or Iryuh.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #20843 on: Yesterday at 10:52:15 PM »

That might be after River Phoenix, and/or wanting a name that not a lot of other people have. At least it's easy to spell and pronounce.
The lead singer of Avenged Sevenfold (heavy metal band) has two sons named River and Cash. (Still not entirely sure if he named his first son River after a song he sung with the same name. The song was about redemption and rebirth so maybe he considered the birth of his first son the start of new chapter of his life?)

The guitarist of the same band has a son named Tennessee (in his case, he said it was because he fell in love with the place and wanted to name his son after something he fell in love with at first sight).

Odd names sometimes have sweet reasons behind them.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Frog24

« Reply #20844 on: Yesterday at 11:31:15 PM »
Kjayla

I went to elementary school with a boy named Kjell.  He said the "Kj" sound (while having no true English equivalent) was closest to "sh", so his name was pronounced "Shell".  Maybe "Kjayla" is pronounced "Shayla"?

Addy

« Reply #20845 on: Today at 01:28:42 AM »
Kjayla

I went to elementary school with a boy named Kjell.  He said the "Kj" sound (while having no true English equivalent) was closest to "sh", so his name was pronounced "Shell".  Maybe "Kjayla" is pronounced "Shayla"?

Oh yes, like Swedish curler Viktor Kjäll.