News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 07, 2016, 04:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jury Duty stories  (Read 4372 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: Jury Duty stories
« Reply #90 on: Today at 04:03:27 PM »
A friend of mine served like 3 months on a civil case. A man sued his employer for buying a piece of equipment that failed and disabled him that turned out to be so flawed it was recalled from the market due to injuries. The problem was that while yes, he had been permanently disabled (I don't remember exactly what his injuries were), the purchase was before the recall and, in fact, his accident was one of those that led to the recall. They found for the defendant and felt he should have sued the manufacturer.
Nothing to see here.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Jury Duty stories
« Reply #91 on: Today at 04:10:00 PM »
My question: concerns location of jury duty. In my 1 and 2, both locations were far away and difficult to get to, costing more than the stipend (as well as time) that they allow. Why can't we do our civic duty at the closest location available?

I would imagine it's a case of different courts, different court locations. If you're called up by City Court A, they might be in Downtown City, but County Court B, even if it's in City, could be in a whole other area of City, etc. And if you live in City, which is in County, then you could be called to either one, even if City Court A location is much closer to you, and has better transit.

That's my guess.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture