Author Topic: Picture thread  (Read 253201 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: Picture thread
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »
All these amazing bird (and horse ;) ) pictures,

Of course, I think Misty is beautiful, but it seems everyone who sees her says, "What a pretty filly!" 

I think it's her soft eyes :-*

We call her Miss Filly Oahu

As you can see when she stands next to her buddy, Murphy, she's a little <cough cough> ho(a)rse >:D

<bad pun, I know, & it doesn't really work when written>
midnight exits ducking the rotten fruit
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2007, 07:56:21 PM »
Well, I think Misty is beautiful.  I just want to reach into the screen and pet that white stripe ;D.  Then again, it's rare that I find an animal that I don't think is beautiful.  I should take more pictures of my pets and post them soon.

I just want to say that as a big city girl from the Midwest, it always boggles my mind to think that people really live in exotic places and own things like horses.  In my experience, horses live in farms out in the suburbs so girls can go hire them for birthday parties ;)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2007, 08:30:20 PM »
Here's some exotic Chicago wildlife for you.  I was still getting the hang of manually focusing a fancy camera, after years of considering an EasyShare luxurious:

For those familiar with the city, these were take at Lincoln Park Zoo a couple months ago.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »
I should take more pictures of my pets and post them soon.

Please do!  I look forward to seeing more furry little faces.

I just want to say that as a big city girl from the Midwest, it always boggles my mind to think that people really live in exotic places and own things like horses.  In my experience, horses live in farms out in the suburbs so girls can go hire them for birthday parties ;)

DH is from Milwaukee and he's the first member of his family in many generations to own a horse.  We live in uber urban Waikiki and Misty lives almost an hour drive away on Dillingham Ranch in Mokuleia.  It's not clear across the Island of Oahu, but it's close.  I see this situation as one of the advantages to living on Oahu:  We get all the benefits of a large urban city (concerts, good buses, lots of options for restaurants and shopping) AND we are just half an hour drive from the fresh country air ;D

There are more horses on Maui and one of the biggest ranches in the Unites States (Parker Ranch) is on the big island of Hawaii.  Riding horseback on the beach is close to Paradise.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2007, 08:33:35 PM »
There are more horses on Maui and one of the biggest ranches in the Unites States (Parker Ranch) is on the big island of Hawaii.  Riding horseback on the beach is close to Paradise.

It sounds lovely, if you aren't terrified of falling off the horse ;)  I never knew there were so many horses and horse owners in Hawaii!  Then again, the only thing I do know about pet ownership in Hawaii is that you can't have snakes because there are no native species and an escaped snake could wreak havoc on the ecosystem.  Isn't it funny what little facts we pick up?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2007, 09:11:33 PM »
Then again, the only thing I do know about pet ownership in Hawaii is that you can't have snakes because there are no native species and an escaped snake could wreak havoc on the ecosystem.  Isn't it funny what little facts we pick up?
That's true, too!  There are no snakes in Hawaii.  They say there are no venomous spiders, either, but I saw a black widow in a water valve vault on Ford Island when I was working on a project there.  Let's just say that, in general, there are no snakes or venomous spiders in Hawaii.  BTW - "nonvenomous" spiders live here and their bites are worse than a mosquito bite.  In fact, I think they are about as poisonous as the average tarantula (which isn't very dangerous).  My grandmother grew up in New Mexico and she had tarantulas for pets.  As she said, her family was poor & she could catch the tarantulas for free, and tarantulas are soft and furry and purr when you pet them.

The best and worst thing about pet ownership in Hawaii is that we have no rabies here.  This is good because we don't have to give our cats rabies shots & we don't fear getting rabies.  It's bad because of the quarantine requirements.  I have heard that these restrictions have been eased in recent years, especially for our military families.  We could not afford to bring our cat, Spooky, with us when we moved here 17 years ago.  It's also hard on people who would like to travel with their dogs.

Marcus Aurelius

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »
Then again, the only thing I do know about pet ownership in Hawaii is that you can't have snakes because there are no native species and an escaped snake could wreak havoc on the ecosystem.  Isn't it funny what little facts we pick up?
That's true, too!  There are no snakes in Hawaii.  They say there are no venomous spiders, either, but I saw a black widow in a water valve vault on Ford Island when I was working on a project there.  Let's just say that, in general, there are no snakes or venomous spiders in Hawaii.  BTW - "nonvenomous" spiders live here and their bites are worse than a mosquito bite.  In fact, I think they are about as poisonous as the average tarantula (which isn't very dangerous).  My grandmother grew up in New Mexico and she had tarantulas for pets.  As she said, her family was poor & she could catch the tarantulas for free, and tarantulas are soft and furry and purr when you pet them.

The best and worst thing about pet ownership in Hawaii is that we have no rabies here.  This is good because we don't have to give our cats rabies shots & we don't fear getting rabies.  It's bad because of the quarantine requirements.  I have heard that these restrictions have been eased in recent years, especially for our military families.  We could not afford to bring our cat, Spooky, with us when we moved here 17 years ago.  It's also hard on people who would like to travel with their dogs.

Tarantulas are cute, aren't they?  I keep reptiles, and I try to be an informed pet owner (and I also just find it interesting), and I've picked up a lot of little tidbits along the way.  I didn't know that there weren't venemous spiders or rabies, though.  It must have been heartbreaking to leave Spooky behind :(

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2007, 09:50:09 PM »
I keep reptiles, and I try to be an informed pet owner (and I also just find it interesting), and I've picked up a lot of little tidbits along the way.  I didn't know that there weren't venemous spiders or rabies, though.
I suspected you kept reptiles from your avatar.  We have reptiles here (geckos, lizards, Jackson cameleons, etc.), but you can't bring your snakes with you on vacation.  I saw in the newspaper that one of the luxury hotels is catering to visiting canines in their effort to accommodate jet setters who won't go anywhere without their pocket pooch.

It must have been heartbreaking to leave Spooky behind :(
It was.  Fortunately my ex-husband wanted her back & promised to spoil her rotten.  He was a good friend but a lousy husband.

Marcus Aurelius

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2007, 09:56:38 PM »
Yeah, I guess I make my love for reptiles pretty clear, huh?  I don't have anything as large as a Burmese python, though ;)  Just a couple ball pythons and a gecko.  The snakeys are somewhere around page 10 of this thread, by the way.

I'm glad that you had a good home to send Spooky to, it must have made it a little easier for you and the kitty.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »
Yeah, I guess I make my love for reptiles pretty clear, huh?  I don't have anything as large as a Burmese python, though ;)  Just a couple ball pythons and a gecko.  The snakeys are somewhere around page 10 of this thread, by the way.

I'm glad that you had a good home to send Spooky to, it must have made it a little easier for you and the kitty.

I went back & checked them out (again).  Your Simba looks just like Spooky, down to the small white spot on the chest.

Marcus Aurelius

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »

I went back & checked them out (again).  Your Simba looks just like Spooky, down to the small white spot on the chest.

Hehehe, our cats have a lot of doppelgangers out there.  We usually meet little Bun-doubles, but there are also plenty of Simbas.  It's interesting to find one who looks SO similar, though.

Sims is our oldest, and we had him before the other kitties.  When he was our only cat, we fostered three kittens, one of which was another brown tabby & white (Gasho).  We kept the wee ones in the bedroom for the most part, to keep them out of trouble, but the few times we let them play together, Simba was fascinated by little Gasho.  He ignored the other two, and followed Gasho around, sniffing him, watching him, and making sure he didn't get into trouble.  It was so cute ;D

ETA:  Actually, looking back on my post, I think you might have gotten Simba and Bun mixed up.  I told you there were lots of Bun doubles    :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 04:29:59 PM by RainhaDoTexugo »

GoodGrief

« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2007, 07:26:13 AM »
Approx. central Wisconsin, on the south end of Lake Winnebago, lies the city of Fond du Lac.

View from 40' lighthouse at the beautiful city park:

Twin gazebos in the park:

Covered pedestrian bridge in the park:

Park Fountain:

Lighthouse view south over the yacht club. I love the shimmering water:

I think anyone who has a chance to make it to Wisconsin would love the trip.
Wisconsin Dells -- Popular family tourist city full of water parks, go-kart tracks, you name it.
Door County -- Beautiful peninsula jutting into Lake Michigan
Green Bay -- Lambeau Field (Go Packers)
Milwaukee -- Miller Stadium (Go Brewers), Southridge Mall (state's largest shopping mall), Milwaukee County Zoo, Mitchell Park Domes,
Madison -- State Capitol
Eagle River -- Snowmobile championship race
Do a search like Wisconsin+tourism.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
What a beautiful park!  I'm in Chicago, so I'm pretty close to Wisconsin, but since I don't drive I don't make it there as often as I should.  Your photos make me want to go again ;D

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »
Some pictures from a huge local cemetery:

This one was really cool..the tree was growing around the headstones.

GoodGrief

« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2007, 03:06:42 PM »
Quote from: LadyClaire
Some pictures from a huge local cemetery:
This one was really cool..the tree was growing around the headstones.
Awesome pix. Just hope vandals don't arrive and leave their mark. Never saw roots wrap around tombstones like that ...they've obviously been there long while.

I hear that's a rather popular place. People are dying to get in.