Author Topic: Picture thread  (Read 253289 times)

CutebutPsycho

Picture thread
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:25:26 AM »
Hi everyone!

I am new here so if this "isn't done" here please just let me know. I would like to start a thread for those of us who enjoy pictures to share what we've got. Right now there is a whole herd of elk in my yard and if anybody is interested, I would like to show you the pictures I took.

Anybody else like photos?

I will wait to start posting them, so that I'm not boring everybody to tears if you don't want to see them.  ;D
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Picture thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:46:55 AM »
A whole herd of elk in your yard?

I, for one, would love to see it.

Modified to add: Time for a Coffee Break would be a good folder for that sort of thing, i think.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 01:30:10 AM »
FW - Yes! Post them!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:36:12 AM »
I will start by posting a pic of the HAWK that was in my yard a few weeks ago, feasting on a poor pigeon.  My little dog found some of the remnants - luckily we got to them before he did!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:58:42 AM »

They're beautiful.
That's something i would never see in my "back-yard."
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 02:03:16 AM »
I would think it was beautiful if it wasn't the type of bird that could pick up my little dog, carry him away and eat him for lunch!

Actually, the hawk looks like a large robin red breast to me - but he had a much more evil look on his face! LOL  I tried to get a pic of his wing and tailspan, but he moved too quickly. 

Rose2Bear

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 02:20:57 AM »
Oh I LOVE taking and sharing photos!

Since the theme seems to be "nature," here are two of my nature shots - the first is the hawk that lives in my backyard, maybe he is friends with sparksals' hawk!

The second is this strange squirrel that also lives in my yard. His tail and body are two different colors!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 02:52:14 AM »

Those pictures are gorgeous. Squirells are most of what i see lately. They dig up all my plants, but i love the little guys. They're so fun to watch play in the trees in Spring & Summer.

>sigh< those pics really make me miss living in a rural-type area.
~Gaslight Anthem

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 08:39:46 AM »
YAY! I am so glad there is some interest here for the photo thread, and I am a nature girl all the way! I love the hawks, they are so beautiful aren't they? As you will see in the photos, I live in a great big meadow. In the summer, mice and other rodents abound, so the Marsh Hawks are EVERYWHERE!

This herd of Elk is called the Takhini Herd, named after the river that runs about 500m away from my house. The first picture is when they are wayyyyy on the other side of the yard from my house. I estimate about 110 of them as I got about half of them counted and gave up at 55!

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:45:07 AM »
These ones are a little closer. That's my house in the background.  :)

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:59:37 AM »
This is the biggest bull. I call him Big Daddy!  ;D

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 12:27:28 PM »
Oh I LOVE taking and sharing photos!

Since the theme seems to be "nature," here are two of my nature shots - the first is the hawk that lives in my backyard, maybe he is friends with sparksals' hawk!

The second is this strange squirrel that also lives in my yard. His tail and body are two different colors!

Wow Rose!  I'm surprised the hawk hasn't had the squirrel for lunch!  I don't know if hawks in your area are carnivorous, but here, they will attack rabbits, cats and small dogs (literally pick them up, fly away real high, then drop them onto the ground to kill them to eat).  Many people with fishponds lose fish frequently because the hawks are hungry. 

Since I saw him, I always pan the yard ahead of time to make sure he's not around so I can let my dog out.  When there's no birds around, I get really nervous because they go into hiding.

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 01:45:51 PM »
I'm in Texas, enjoying the second delay in the start of classes (supposed to start yesterday, then at noon today, now tomorrow).  Here's a photo of the ice on the fountain in my back yard.

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 01:55:47 PM »
Wow, Courtney that is beautiful!

This is a view from my back porch last summer. As you can tell from my elk photos, in the winter the place is sort of colourless. Not so in the summer...

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 01:59:03 PM »
Wow, Courtney that is beautiful!

This is a view from my back porch last summer. As you can tell from my elk photos, in the winter the place is sort of colourless. Not so in the summer...

Thanks!  Your pictures are gorgeous, too, of course!

You've probably already said this elsewhere, but where do you live?