Author Topic: Picture thread  (Read 258592 times)

J.D.

• Ice Cube Terrorist
Re: Picture thread
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2007, 09:42:42 PM »
Looks like a high quality kitty to me

*chuckles* Thanks Rainha.  She's a cutie isn't she?

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2007, 11:00:26 PM »
What pretty pictures. Loved the eclipse pictures. Thanks for sharing.

These two pics are from Half Moon Bay where we just were for a wedding.

bigozzy

« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2007, 07:16:09 AM »

One of my favorite places to watch the sun go down, near my parent's house in Queensland. Two Rosellas agreed.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2007, 05:14:23 PM »
Beautiful pictures Bigozzy.  You're so lucky, by the way.  The most exciting birds we get around here are sparrows :P  I'd love to be able to see Rosellas somewhere other than bird shows or the zoo...

bigozzy

« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2007, 06:29:14 PM »
Beautiful pictures Bigozzy.  You're so lucky, by the way.  The most exciting birds we get around here are sparrows :P  I'd love to be able to see Rosellas somewhere other than bird shows or the zoo...

Thank you. That was taken where my parents house is in Australia, I now live in Scotland. There are some great birds here but I do miss the colours, noise and antics of the dawn chorus and sunset birds!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2007, 07:55:17 PM »
Oops, my mistake ;D  We do get some very pretty birds here in Chicago, and there are a few flocks of feral quaker parakeets in the city, but it still amazes me that there are places in the world where you can actually see cockatoos and macaws and lovebirds and parakeets and such in the wild.  Someone showed me a photo once of a tree just full of cockatoos, and it was really amazing.  I love city life, but you sure do miss out on a lot :)

At least you have beautiful Scottish architecture to make up for the lack of Rosellas ;)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2007, 08:37:50 PM »
Someone showed me a photo once of a tree just full of cockatoos, and it was really amazing.  I love city life, but you sure do miss out on a lot :)

I live in the heart of Waikiki, which is about as densely populated as any place in the US.  A colony of feral finches lives in a large banyan tree in the open area between 5 buildings outside my lanai.  Every morning I listen to them singing.  I didn't expect to wake up to singing birds when I moved to Waikiki.  I used to live in an almost rural area of Northern California & enjoyed living "close to nature."  Now I realize that nature is all around us, even in uber urban Waikiki.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »
I love finches, and I know what you mean, but there sure is a difference between a wee finchy and a giant cockatoo.  We did get a woodpecker pecking my mom's yucca stalk a couple weeks ago not 10 feet from where we were eating dinner in the backyard.  He hung around for most of the meal ;D

I get woken up by finches too, but they live in my bedroom :)

bigozzy

« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2007, 05:54:55 AM »
Edinburgh architecture and history is stunning.

In Australia we lived in a big city (inner suburbia) but it was still packed with possums and other animals and incredible birds. My favorite was the absolute treefuls of galahs we would get every year.
Gallah became an Australian slang word for idiot or larrikin because of their behaviour. They get 'drunk' on fermented berries and screech and roll around on the ground- hilarious. Well maybe not at 6am!
Scottish birds are more dignified.
Last year we woke up to find three massive peacocks in our back yard confusing the cats terribly. They had escaped from a large, very old hotel and gardens a mile away. Again, must dig out the photo= cat-smells like bird, sounds like bird, but how to catch it! Will it fit through the cat flap?

Urbanfairy

« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2007, 07:03:53 AM »
cat-smells like bird, sounds like bird, but how to catch it! Will it fit through the cat flap?

OOooh no... Peacocks sound like Banshee's *shudder*

bigozzy

« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2007, 10:48:46 AM »

Can not find the peacock invasion snaps but here is a pelican! Not the same but .....

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2007, 02:52:14 PM »
Edinburgh architecture and history is stunning.

In Australia we lived in a big city (inner suburbia) but it was still packed with possums and other animals and incredible birds. My favorite was the absolute treefuls of galahs we would get every year.
Gallah became an Australian slang word for idiot or larrikin because of their behaviour. They get 'drunk' on fermented berries and screech and roll around on the ground- hilarious. Well maybe not at 6am!
Scottish birds are more dignified.
Last year we woke up to find three massive peacocks in our back yard confusing the cats terribly. They had escaped from a large, very old hotel and gardens a mile away. Again, must dig out the photo= cat-smells like bird, sounds like bird, but how to catch it! Will it fit through the cat flap?

I spent one day in Edinburgh, a few years ago, and I wish I'd had more time.  I always tell people that they HAVE to go to Edinburgh because even the bus ride from the airport is breathtaking ;D

We get possums in Chicago too.  Small world, eh?  One of them scared the crap out of my mother one night, rusling around on her back porch right outside the bedroom window.  She thought someone was trying to break in :)  No peacocks in the backyard, though.  The Gallah birds sound great, they must be fun to watch!

We just got a good camera this year, so next time I'm out somewhere with interesting critters I'll definitely try to get some photos.  I've gotten some great frog photos just in the suburbs, I think I posted them earlier in the thread.  We see lots of herons when we visit my mom's uncle in Michigan, usually close enough that I'd be able to capture more than a speck across the lake.  This is really making me want to grab the camera and head out for some pictures!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
Can not find the peacock invasion snaps but here is a pelican!
The peacocks invaded the ranch where we keep Misty.  Here's a couple of them in the back pasture:

I love this image of Misty with the peacocks between ears:
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2007, 04:48:08 PM »
That's it.  All these amazing bird (and horse ;) ) pictures, I'm going home and taking pictures of sparrows.  Millions of sparrows.  And pigeons!  And I'm posting them all >:D

Ulla dances in a silly way

• Super Secret Level 5 Ninja Wizard
  • Only a little off.
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »
I wish I could find my picture of the most interesting wildlife around here- our blonde squirrels. They aren't albino, they are blonde versions of regular old gray squirrels. We have two on campus right now, I'll try to find a pic.