Author Topic: Picture thread  (Read 258357 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Picture thread
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 12:14:42 AM »
These photos were taken when we went to Sedona for our 2nd wedding anniversary.  We got married there and went back to stay at the Inn where we got married.  They were taken on a sunset tour of the red rock mountains.  CRUD MONKEYS!! It was the scariest experience of my life.  We were in a jeep, the road was rocky, narrow and twisty/turny and very ledgy.  It doesn't help that I'm terrified of heights!

this last picture is of me and my husband in Canmore, Alberta a couple years ago.  The mountains behind are called "The Three Sisters"

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 10:55:23 AM »
Sparksals those are fabulous photos! I am familiar with The Three Sisters, what an amazing sight! The Red Rocks are great too - I love to see landscapes that you wouldn't see anywhere near where I live.

This one is of fireweed with my house in the background...

And one for us Canucks.  :)
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 01:01:15 PM »
FW - I have the exact same windsock! LOL

I have never been to the Territories.  I have always wanted to, though.  How do you survive the winter and 24 hour darkness?

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 01:11:01 PM »

I have never been to the Territories.  I have always wanted to, though.  How do you survive the winter and 24 hour darkness?

LOL about the windsock! This is in my mom's backyard.

I have lived here for most of my life, with the exception of a year after graduation. This has alot to do with how a person can handle the winters here. I live in the bottom of a river valley and when it is -40C in town it is generally -50C at my house. So I make sure that my car is plugged in so it will start in the morning to get me to work. I have about a zillion layers of clothing, half of them in my trunk and half in my house. So I am always prepared to go outside when it is cold enough to freeze one's nostrils shut after one breath!  :)

We don't have 24 hour darkness here, I think the max is about 18 hours of "true" darkness. But for a few weeks in December it never gets lighter than what I would call "dusky". Once again it's something I am just accustomed to. I do tend to need alot more sleep in the winter, I call it hibernation phase. About this time of year I get VERY happy to see a bit more daylight and some actual warmth to the sunshine we get, and these days I am getting very anxious for spring to arrive. (still four or five months to go until the snow will be gone) I think more people have trouble with the 24 hour daylight in the summer because they can't sleep. I LOVE IT! I work and play an average of 21 hours a day in the summer because I just don't get tired! Almost like I have solar power or something.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »
Sparksals those are fabulous photos! I am familiar with The Three Sisters, what an amazing sight! The Red Rocks are great too - I love to see landscapes that you wouldn't see anywhere near where I live.

This one is of fireweed with my house in the background...

That fireweed picture is stunning.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 01:28:28 PM »

LOL about the windsock! This is in my mom's backyard.

I have lived here for most of my life, with the exception of a year after graduation. This has alot to do with how a person can handle the winters here. I live in the bottom of a river valley and when it is -40C in town it is generally -50C at my house. So I make sure that my car is plugged in so it will start in the morning to get me to work. I have about a zillion layers of clothing, half of them in my trunk and half in my house. So I am always prepared to go outside when it is cold enough to freeze one's nostrils shut after one breath!  :)

We don't have 24 hour darkness here, I think the max is about 18 hours of "true" darkness. But for a few weeks in December it never gets lighter than what I would call "dusky". Once again it's something I am just accustomed to. I do tend to need alot more sleep in the winter, I call it hibernation phase. About this time of year I get VERY happy to see a bit more daylight and some actual warmth to the sunshine we get, and these days I am getting very anxious for spring to arrive. (still four or five months to go until the snow will be gone) I think more people have trouble with the 24 hour daylight in the summer because they can't sleep. I LOVE IT! I work and play an average of 21 hours a day in the summer because I just don't get tired! Almost like I have solar power or something.

I certainly remember those days of plugging in my car and praying it would start in a huge cold snap. 

Here in Tucson, I am frequently asked what that "plug thing" is hanging under my hood.  lol

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 01:45:58 PM »
That fireweed picture is stunning.

Thank you Cathy! Fireweed is and always has been one of my favorite flowers!

Sparksals... My car is SUCH a trooper. Some days I wish it would not start so I could miss work. No such luck!

Rei-chan

• It's been awhile, but it's good to be back!
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 05:34:16 PM »

I've been scanning today, so I finally have some pics to post!  These are from our honeymoon in Paris, in July 2002:

This was our hotel (the building in the middle), that looked like something out of The Shining on the inside.

Notre Dame Cathedral, from the bridge over the Seine river.

Napoleon's Tomb

The entrance to the Jewish Deportation Memorial (we felt it disrespectful to take pictures inside).

Of course, the Eiffel Tower, taken from the Champs du Mars.

Gigi

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 05:41:23 AM »
Sparksals

Thank you for the Sedona fix.  It's one of my favorite places.  DH and I honeymooned there long ago and we return often to celebrate anniversaries.  It sure has changed over the years.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »
You know, every month, Oprah's magazine has that one big picture spread called "Breathing Space."  Looking at these pictures has given me a little bit of calm at the end of what's been an emotionally hectic day...and has brought back some fond memories.  Hope I don't sound smarmy when I say "thank you for sharing."

Lily

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 03:40:18 AM »

Oh, thankyou for posting those pictures.

i love the backyard pictures the best.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 11:22:26 AM »
LilySuch - this thread is very therapeutic for me! I am glad you enjoy it.

Hobgoblinish - another backyard photo! From the perspective of Jimmy the dog.  :)

Cattaby

• Friendly Cat. Fully litter trained.
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2007, 08:11:24 PM »
Hey, I know that drive through bottle shop! It's right near my TAFE. Prahran/Elwood area in Melbourne right?

I laugh at it whenever I drive pass too. Someday I'll actually drive through and pick up a slab of beer.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2007, 12:02:51 AM »
Such wonderful pictures!  I REALLY loved the elk in the yard - and I'm jealous!

This isn't a shot I actually took - it's one DD took when she and DH went offroading in UT this past October.  I don't know why I love it so much, maybe it's because of how blue the sky is?

Pixie

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »
Here are some of our breakfast room, when we bought the house it looked like this...

Then Hubby stripped the wallpaper, and painted the walls....

Then he painted the cabinets and trim.....   I think we're done with this room!

yes, that's Joseph, he likes to be in the pictures I take!