Author Topic: What part of "Not interested" did you not understand?  (Read 8293 times)

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
What part of "Not interested" did you not understand?
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:23:51 AM »
Last night, I used a charge card that I recently received for a company I do business with. I haven't used it in a long time. This company recently changed banks and sent a new card, which I set the card aside for future use. I had to call a number to activate it, and normally I don't mind doing this, but this company engages in using live people to upsell products that I don't need. Like credit watch protection. I get this through our home insurance policy, free of charge.

So after confirming the information, which the rep very annoyingly and nasally repeated
(it felt almost condescending in a way), she went into her  "while you're waiting" spiel. I cut to the chase on this one. It was probably rude, but I've been on the other side of this, having activated cards for customers, so I know that as soon as I verify the info, the card is activated. This is just a way to get more business from the customers.

Me: I'm sorry, I realize that you're doing your job, but I'm not interested. Is my card now activated?
CSR: Are you sure? It's free for the first 30 days.
Me: Yes, I'm sure and no, I'm not interested. Is my card now activated?
CSR: It comes with a free paper shredder that can shred up to 8 pages, credit cards and cds? Are you really sure?
Me: I own a paper shredder that can shred up to 20 papers at one time, including in envelopes, and it also shreds credit cards and cds. No, I am not intersted. Is my card activated?
CSR: It's a really good plan and-
Me: Look, I'm going to say this one last time, then I am going to request your supervisor come on the line. I am not interested. I've said it 3 times now. What part of not interested do you not understand? Please give me your supervisor.

After waiting a bit, the supervisor came on the line, confirmed that my card was activated and indeed had been activated for at least 5 minutes. I made it clear that I was not intersted in the credit watch and that perhaps they should reiterate that when a customer says no, they mean no!

http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Shortcake

Re: What part of "Not interested" did you not understand?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »
Good for you for standing your ground!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:11:41 AM »
I happen to hate this tactic. The best thing you can do is exactly what you did, ask for a supervisor. If it honestly took time to activate the card, I don't mind chatting about the weather or sports or some other inane conversation, I have no need to hear offers I don't want.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:57:15 AM »
I'm actually surprised you were transferred to a supervisor.  Many times, the "customer service" rep will simply and rudely hang up on the caller.  Which then requires having to call again, to confirm the information you wanted to confirm in the first place.  Often with another round of voice-mail Hell and hold times beyond reasonable limits.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »
Recently, I wanted to cancel a service and the customer service person kept trying to talking me out of it.  He was obviously reading from a prepared script.  I'm bad, but I started chanting 'I want to cancel, I want to cancel, I want to cancel', over and over.  The representative tried to talk over me for about 15 seconds, then called me 'rude'.  I did get my service cancelled though.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »
I am really bad but there is one show I really like that is only on a certian cabel channel for 12 weeks.  It cost me an extra $14 a month for the channel.  I upgrade for the 12 weeks of the season and then cancel for the other 40 weeks of the year.

I canceled last week and it took forever ot make them understand I really want to cancel.  I wish they would just take NO for an answer.  If fact they tried to convince me to keep this channel and add another one for only $5 a month  ::)  That doesn't solve my I'M BROKE problem.
93 93/93

demetra

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:36:31 PM »
Gad.  I remember going through something similar with AOhelL.  I finally had to close my old bank account and open a new one to get rid of them.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »
When I called to cancel my cable because I was moving to another state, to an area where this cable company has no service, the customer service rep asked me 5 times why I was cancelling and wouldn't I like to keep the service.

They have a script. They have to follow it or they get in trouble.

I hope I never, ever have to work that kind of job. I'd go nuts.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Mopsy428

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 06:14:32 PM »
I hate it when people try to get you to buy stuff and they won't take no for an answer. The cellphone people are the worse. When I was in Canada, I once became so exasperated with this company that kept calling me about buying a cell phone that I finally said, "Look. I don't have a cell phone because no one calls me, and I'm just not that important to get ahold while I'm out in public. And the people that do call me often are people that I do not want to talk to--LIKE YOU! So STOP CALLING ME because I DO NOT want to buy a cell phone!! If I want a cell phone, I will call YOU. THANK YOU!" Then I hung up. I know that was rude, but this company would call me at least 4 times a week and at the most inconvenient times.

On the other end, my sister works at a store. She's 18. She asked this woman if she wanted a store card. The woman said no. My sister said, "OK" My sister's boss overheard her, and the woman said to the customer, "Oh! But you'll save 15%!" The woman agreed to get one. After the woman left, the boss yelled at my sister in front of other customers because she didn't tell the woman she could save $. Fortunately, ANOTHER customer told the boss that it was very rude to yell at her employees in front of other customers for something so petty.

LyanneB1

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 03:27:37 AM »
When I called to cancel my cable because I was moving to another state, to an area where this cable company has no service, the customer service rep asked me 5 times why I was cancelling and wouldn't I like to keep the service.

They have a script. They have to follow it or they get in trouble.

I hope I never, ever have to work that kind of job. I'd go nuts.

I had to cancel our phone & internet becasue the house we were moving too (about 500 yards from old house) is a new build and old phone company aren't currently laying lines in new roads.  The customer rep said 'didn't I want to stay with them?'  I explained that yes, actually I did, and I he would be kind enough to come & lay the lines, that would be great.  For some reason, he then accepted that we were leaving them and processed it!

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 03:33:41 PM »
My bank not only tries to sell extra services when I call, but they also call in the evenings to tell me about special offers. I finally said (in the middle of his spiel), "I got the offer in the mail and the reason I didn't respond was because I'm not interested. I'd appreciate it if you'd make a note in my file that I don't want ANY more phone calls about special offers, insurance, etc."

The guy apologized for bothering me and that was that. It remains to be seen whether I get any more calls from them.

By the way, I'm told that you should never buy insurance through a bank (life insurance, credit card insurance, etc.) as it just about always costs less to get it through an insurance company. Even if it IS a good deal, I won't ever buy anything offered to me through a cold call as I don't want to encourage them.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »
My bank periodically calls and tries to give me a 'terrific credit card' with a 3K limit.  I tell them unless they can beat the 20K credit card with 1.5% cash back that I currently have, I'm not interested.  There's usually a silence while they figure out how to counter that. 

skbenny

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »
My bank called and wanted to know why we were not changing our high rate, high amount credit card to a home equity line of credit.  She then informed me the reason my interest rate was so high, was because I had been a good customer for years, and had my credit card with them for years (like 20).  So basically, if I pay my bills on time, am a faithful customer for over two decades, your bank is going to reward me with 29.9 % interest rate.  OR we can move that to a home equity loan.

I informed her that very soon I would be talking with my money when I used a different bank and different credit card.  At that time, we would cancel all our accounts with said bank, unless they want to rethink the 29.9% interest rate.  She didn't want to do that - so sorry in about six month, hopefully they won't have to worry about ever doing business with me again.

It just amazes me that if I applied to the same bank and moved the money to a different card, with the same bank, I would get a lower interest rate.  But the card, that I have used a lot in the past, paid off and reused as needed over the past 20 years, has to have the interest rate raised.

Someone make sense of this for me.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 08:26:54 PM »
Me: I'm sorry, I realize that you're doing your job, but I'm not interested. Is my card now activated?
CSR: Are you sure? It's free for the first 30 days.
Me: Yes, I'm sure and no, I'm not interested. Is my card now activated?
CSR: It comes with a free paper shredder that can shred up to 8 pages, credit cards and cds? Are you really sure?

Me: I'd like to cancel this credit card.  I'll send a letter of termination.  Thank you, goodbye.

I'm SO tired of begin nagged at Costco about Executive Membership, at Target about a credit card, at Bank of America about every living thing.  I don't go with the "Three No's" Rule.  I go with the "When I Say No, I Mean It" Rule.

bionelly

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 09:38:54 PM »
The thing that seemed to work for us (at least the last time we had to do this) was that I called to activate DH's card.  They did have to speak with him briefly for security reasons, but before they got to the credit protection spiel, he handed the phone back to me.  They did mention all that stuff, but since I wasn't authorized to add any of it, and I'd made it clear that he would not be able to come back to the phone, they seemed much more willing to take "I don't think he'll want that" for an answer.