Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

What part of "Not interested" did you not understand?

(1/4) > >>

That Anime Chick:
Last night, I used a charge card that I recently received for a company I do business with. I haven't used it in a long time. This company recently changed banks and sent a new card, which I set the card aside for future use. I had to call a number to activate it, and normally I don't mind doing this, but this company engages in using live people to upsell products that I don't need. Like credit watch protection. I get this through our home insurance policy, free of charge.

So after confirming the information, which the rep very annoyingly and nasally repeated
(it felt almost condescending in a way), she went into her  "while you're waiting" spiel. I cut to the chase on this one. It was probably rude, but I've been on the other side of this, having activated cards for customers, so I know that as soon as I verify the info, the card is activated. This is just a way to get more business from the customers.

Me: I'm sorry, I realize that you're doing your job, but I'm not interested. Is my card now activated?
CSR: Are you sure? It's free for the first 30 days.
Me: Yes, I'm sure and no, I'm not interested. Is my card now activated?
CSR: It comes with a free paper shredder that can shred up to 8 pages, credit cards and cds? Are you really sure?
Me: I own a paper shredder that can shred up to 20 papers at one time, including in envelopes, and it also shreds credit cards and cds. No, I am not intersted. Is my card activated?
CSR: It's a really good plan and-
Me: Look, I'm going to say this one last time, then I am going to request your supervisor come on the line. I am not interested. I've said it 3 times now. What part of not interested do you not understand? Please give me your supervisor.

After waiting a bit, the supervisor came on the line, confirmed that my card was activated and indeed had been activated for at least 5 minutes. I made it clear that I was not intersted in the credit watch and that perhaps they should reiterate that when a customer says no, they mean no!

Shortcake:
Good for you for standing your ground!

rashea:
I happen to hate this tactic. The best thing you can do is exactly what you did, ask for a supervisor. If it honestly took time to activate the card, I don't mind chatting about the weather or sports or some other inane conversation, I have no need to hear offers I don't want.

MineralDiva:
I'm actually surprised you were transferred to a supervisor.  Many times, the "customer service" rep will simply and rudely hang up on the caller.  Which then requires having to call again, to confirm the information you wanted to confirm in the first place.  Often with another round of voice-mail Hell and hold times beyond reasonable limits.

sbtier:
Recently, I wanted to cancel a service and the customer service person kept trying to talking me out of it.  He was obviously reading from a prepared script.  I'm bad, but I started chanting 'I want to cancel, I want to cancel, I want to cancel', over and over.  The representative tried to talk over me for about 15 seconds, then called me 'rude'.  I did get my service cancelled though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version