Author Topic: No to cold caller  (Read 35758 times)

jassou

No to cold caller
« on: October 23, 2007, 07:22:17 PM »
Hi, didn't want to hijack the other tread, but here another cold caller:

Him: bla bla .... phone deal....
Me: I'm sorry, now is not a good time, i'm a little busy
Him: May I ask why it's not a good time? (i don't remember how he frased it exactly, but he wanted to know what I was doing)
Me: .... *stunned silence* No, of course not! *laughs*
*then we say our goodbyes and hang up*

What kind of answer would he expect? I'm doing a crossword? Potty training my child? In my bedroom having... er never mind.

Funny thing was, only a little while ago I would feel obliged to answer and would probably stutter out a quickly made up worth-while excuse. And sound like a total fake, of course. Ah well, hope he didn't think i was brushing him off. I just thought it was a totally inappropriate question.

Michelle Ravel

Re: No to cold caller
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
Awesome. I have gotten better with telemarketers, too. I now say, "Thank you. I'm not interested. Goodbye," and hang up. I don't owe them an explanation.

Shortcake

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »
I am glad you didn't let him intimidate you into explaining yourself! If you had given an answer, he would have probably tried to arrange a time to call back, or say that the call would only take a few minutes.(or something like that)  ::)
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

shiksagoddess

• Stop me before I volunteer again!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 01:25:13 PM »
OK, this is bad, but I couldn't help myself. 

Several months ago I got one of those annoying phone calls, despite being on the national "do not call" list. 

I told the caller I was trying to conceive a child and that my husband was upstairs waiting for me.

Long pause ... "well, I guess you're pretty busy then."

I said "like you have NO idea," laughed and hung up.

Bad shiksa.  >:D

jassou

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 02:22:47 PM »

Several months ago I got one of those annoying phone calls, despite being on the national "do not call" list. 

I told the caller I was trying to conceive a child and that my husband was upstairs waiting for me.

;D LOL! I always want to say that but I never dared to!

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:14:10 PM »
Hi, didn't want to hijack the other tread, but here another cold caller:

Him: bla bla .... phone deal....
Me: I'm sorry, now is not a good time, i'm a little busy
Him: May I ask why it's not a good time? (i don't remember how he frased it exactly, but he wanted to know what I was doing)
Me: .... *stunned silence* No, of course not! *laughs*
*then we say our goodbyes and hang up*

What kind of answer would he expect? I'm doing a crossword? Potty training my child? In my bedroom having... er never mind.

Funny thing was, only a little while ago I would feel obliged to answer and would probably stutter out a quickly made up worth-while excuse. And sound like a total fake, of course. Ah well, hope he didn't think i was brushing him off. I just thought it was a totally inappropriate question.

*blink* My, he must have some big'uns to be so brazen as to ask. That or he's supposed to ask. In either case, I'd just use my new excuse - I'm waiting for the aliens from planet [insert name of made up planet that comes to mind] to land and declare me their leader. I've yet to use it, but I so want to.  >:D
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
Ah well, hope he didn't think i was brushing him off. I just thought it was a totally inappropriate question.

You WERE brushing him off. But you had every right to. First of all, he intruded on YOUR home (via phone), and then he asked a question that was absolutely none of his business. Good for you!

Bluenomi

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:54 PM »
Some times they ask when a good time to call back is. If I'm in the right mood I say never  >:D

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 11:53:32 PM »
Sometimes that backfires.  I was in a strange mood once when I got a call from an insurance company, and I asked if I'd be covered if I was hit by a meteorite.  He looked it up and told me (they did.) 

hjaye

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 08:27:57 AM »

Reminds me of the joke:

Cop pulls over guy for speeding
Cop:  What's the rush sir?
Speeder:  It's my wife officer, she's about to get pregnant and I want to be there when it happens!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:13:34 AM by hjaye »

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
I once listened to a telemarketer's entire spiel with great enthusiasm before I told her there was one hitch:

"I've been declared incompetent".

"Thankyouhaveaniceday"

click.

jassou

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »
I once listened to a telemarketer's entire spiel with great enthusiasm before I told her there was one hitch:

"I've been declared incompetent".

"Thankyouhaveaniceday"

click.

;D brilliant!

Piyokochan

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »
Sometimes that backfires.  I was in a strange mood once when I got a call from an insurance company, and I asked if I'd be covered if I was hit by a meteorite.  He looked it up and told me (they did.) 

Covered if I got hit by a meteorite? XD I think I would've gotten my insurance from them!

MamaToreen

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 12:30:01 PM »
Uhm, in NY any auto package policy with physical damage coverage and any deluxe home policy covers for meteorite damage.

bionelly

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 07:39:51 PM »
When DH is in an evil mood, sometimes he'll just try to keep them on the phone with some nonsense.  Once he got one of those "you may already be a winner" calls, and kept them on the line for half an hour pretending not to understand why they couldn't just try the key in the truck for him and let him know if it worked before he bought whatever they were selling.  He says he figures he's keeping them from bothering other people while they're on the line with him.  Personally, I always just say, "Sorry, not interested" and hang up because I know if I stay on the line too long, I'll end up getting guilt-tripped into buying something.