Author Topic: No to cold caller  (Read 34777 times)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Re: No to cold caller
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2009, 11:52:34 AM »
I have been hung up on by telemarketers whose services I have refused!
and if they do call again I will automatically switch to a competitor.

Well, whatever works. ;D

I'll be very interested to see if they call you again - in the States and Canada, highspeed Internet tends to be dominated by one or 2 companies in the local market, so it's hard to make good on that threat, however much I'd like to.

JoW

« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »
You're all lucky that telemarketers in your country accept "No thanks, I'm not interested" as a response. :)
In Israel, it gives them a reason to ask "Why?" and they act as if you owe them something.
Beat them to the punch.  Hang up on them.  Tell them you are not interested, say goodbye, and put the phone back on the hook.  Don't yell.  Don't slam the phone in their ear.  Just say "goodbye" and hang up.  Thats what I did before the US got the DoNotCall list.  It usually worked reasonably well. 

Pinky830

« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »
DH got a cold call from some guy once when he was in just the wrong mood. The guy started asking him what stocks he owned and DH said, "None of your business."

That stopped the guy cold. "What?"

"Seriously. None of your business."

Guy evidently was in just the wrong mood as well and said, "Well, what makes you say that?"

"OK, then you share with me. How often do you play Scrabble with your wife?"

"I'm not married."

"OK, fine. How often do you play Scrabble with your hand?"

"Every day."

"Well, heck don't let me keep you. Sounds like you've got stuff to do. Bye."

That wasn't all! The guy called him AGAIN late that evening, evidently with a few beers under his belt, and said, "Hey, Mr. Pinky! Guess what I'm doing?"

DH couldn't think of anything to do but laugh.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »
You're all lucky that telemarketers in your country accept "No thanks, I'm not interested" as a response. :)
In Israel, it gives them a reason to ask "Why?" and they act as if you owe them something.
Beat them to the punch.  Hang up on them.  Tell them you are not interested, say goodbye, and put the phone back on the hook.  Don't yell.  Don't slam the phone in their ear.  Just say "goodbye" and hang up.  Thats what I did before the US got the DoNotCall list.  It usually worked reasonably well. 

This is what I usually do, too.  I'm pleasant enough.  I just say, Thanks, but I'm not interested.  Bye.  Then I hang up.

But sometimes, just before I actually push the button to hang up, I can hear the person on the other end of the line saying, "Wait!  Wait!" and then something else, but I click the button.

Is it rude to hang up on someone who is still talking to you?

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2009, 07:39:24 PM »

This is what I usually do, too.  I'm pleasant enough.  I just say, Thanks, but I'm not interested.  Bye.  Then I hang up.

But sometimes, just before I actually push the button to hang up, I can hear the person on the other end of the line saying, "Wait!  Wait!" and then something else, but I click the button.

Is it rude to hang up on someone who is still talking to you?

Not for a sales call....

do you stay by those kisoks at the mall just becase they are still talking?

a polite goodbye and just hang up is what I do as well.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

rhirhi

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »
Not for a sales call....

do you stay by those kisoks at the mall just becase they are still talking?

a polite goodbye and just hang up is what I do as well.

I've found a way to keep the dead sea people from bothering me. I bite my fingernails. Every time I walk past (which is fairly often- they are in front of the local tobacco store.

Shopaholic

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2009, 03:01:26 PM »

Practiced that today:
Telemarketer: Because you've purchased from StupidAnnoyingCompany, you've won the free opportunity to participate in weekly lottery draws...
Me: No thanks, not interested.
T: But wait...
M: No thanks, not interested, bye!
T: Thanks, have a nice day

Now THAT is evolution.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2009, 05:18:31 PM »
It's one thing to discuss the rude behaviors of a general group of people but when the topic seques to stories of either how someone was one-on-one rude with a telemarketer, customer service rep, client, neighbor, etc in RL or encouraging people to be rude, that's an entirely different issue which cannot be condoned on this forum. 

Please, people, enough. Messing with telemarketers just because you can is rude, and boasting about one's rudeness is absolutely unacceptable on this forum. It's neither cute nor funny.

Is it rude to tell one you've been declared incompetent? (If it's a matter of the lying, I have friends who'll be happy to certify me.)
Words mean things.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
It's one thing to discuss the rude behaviors of a general group of people but when the topic seques to stories of either how someone was one-on-one rude with a telemarketer, customer service rep, client, neighbor, etc in RL or encouraging people to be rude, that's an entirely different issue which cannot be condoned on this forum. 

Please, people, enough. Messing with telemarketers just because you can is rude, and boasting about one's rudeness is absolutely unacceptable on this forum. It's neither cute nor funny.

Is it rude to tell one you've been declared incompetent? (If it's a matter of the lying, I have friends who'll be happy to certify me.)

>giggle<

Yes it is

and you know stories of doing stuff like this will get the thread locked

pronto
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2009, 11:21:30 PM »
Here's a rhetorical question for you--why not just say "no thank you" rather than mess with someone? It probably takes less time.

I'm thinking you're just joking, but seriously, this topic has been one that we've battled so much I have no sense of humor about it.

And so, as was predicted, we're done.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.