Author Topic: No to cold caller  (Read 34762 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: No to cold caller
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2008, 10:08:51 AM »
Find it, and report them to the police for harassment

Yeah, but that would be counterproductive.

It would mean I am spending time w/ something I don't value.

From a similar perspective, I've never understood why people would WANT to spend their time messing w/ telemarketers.

You hate being interrupted, you hate the calls, etc. So why spend *more* minutes w/ them *on* the phone--and then even more minutes, w/ negative emotions accompanying, talking about it later?

The fastest way to get your goal is to hang up. As rapidly as possible. Say "Take me off your list," and hang up while they're still talking.

Arguing with them about whether they should call you, or calling to report them, etc., just uses more of my minutes on a part of life that I do not wish to be involved in at all.

Hang up, and move on, that's my strategy.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2008, 02:49:55 PM »
From a similar perspective, I've never understood why people would WANT to spend their time messing w/ telemarketers.

You hate being interrupted, you hate the calls, etc. So why spend *more* minutes w/ them *on* the phone--and then even more minutes, w/ negative emotions accompanying, talking about it later?

The fastest way to get your goal is to hang up. As rapidly as possible. Say "Take me off your list," and hang up while they're still talking.

Arguing with them about whether they should call you, or calling to report them, etc., just uses more of my minutes on a part of life that I do not wish to be involved in at all.

Hang up, and move on, that's my strategy.

My goodness, you've met my brother?  He's the one playing games with telemarketers trying to trick them into breaking the rules so he could prosecute them.  It took a lot of his time and energy during our last family visit.

I'm with you, TootsNYC. It seemed like a big waste to me :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Ladymay

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
I've been getting one almost every day lately offering to extend my vehicle's warranty, which they mysteriously know is about to lapse.  This seems odd to me because:

1. Our car is more than ten years old, so the manufacturer's warranty would almost certainly have expired already.

2. We bought it used, so the manufacturer's warranty wouldn't apply anyway, and there was no warranty from the dealer.

3. The calls started when we owned an even older car which we also bought used.  When we got rid of it to get our current one, the calls continued without interruption.  If what they were telling us was true, then both cars, which are about ten years apart in age, would both have to have their warranties expire at virtually the same time.

Of course, it's a recording, so I can't easily tell them not to call.  And for the past month at least, each time I've been told that "this is the last chance to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity!"  It seems like that should mean that that's the last call I'll get from them, but the next day, I get another one.  Aaaarrggghhh!!

This is the same company that also calls people with the recorded spiel of "This is Heather with account services. There's currently nothing wrong with your credit card account...blah...blah...blah". It's a massive scam. Google Heather with account services and you'll see what I mean. We've gotten the recorded calls about the car warranty, but the most calls are the Heather bit. I've been taking down the number that appears in my Caller ID display and reporting them to the FCC each time.

LJM

« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »
I've been getting one almost every day lately offering to extend my vehicle's warranty, which they mysteriously know is about to lapse.  This seems odd to me because:
1. Our car is more than ten years old, so the manufacturer's warranty would almost certainly have expired already...
2. We bought it used...
3. The calls started when we owned an even older car...
Of course, it's a recording, so I can't easily tell them not to call.

I got that one just a couple of days ago! (on my CELL PHONE, which means the call would be illegal even if it weren't a scam. Especially since I put my Cell number on the Do Not Call list, just to be safe.)

That's the one that starts with an urgent sounding "This is your FINAL NOTICE..." isn't it? I also thought it was interesting, given that I live in a city with decent public transportation and thus have chosen not to own a car for the past several years...

bionelly

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2008, 05:06:19 PM »
1. Our car is more than ten years old, so the manufacturer's warranty would almost certainly have expired already...
2. We bought it used...
3. The calls started when we owned an even older car...
Of course, it's a recording, so I can't easily tell them not to call.

I got that one just a couple of days ago! (on my CELL PHONE, which means the call would be illegal even if it weren't a scam. Especially since I put my Cell number on the Do Not Call list, just to be safe.)

That's the one that starts with an urgent sounding "This is your FINAL NOTICE..." isn't it? I also thought it was interesting, given that I live in a city with decent public transportation and thus have chosen not to own a car for the past several years...

Yep, that's the one.  I can't even count how many "final notices" I've gotten now.  Funny, though, I've never gotten the "Heather with account services" one.

Well, in DH's case, he does enjoy messing with them.  While I'm sure he wouldn't like it so much if he took them seriously, and he wouldn't go to the trouble of getting the police involved, he does enjoy making a joke out of it.  He doesn't get abusive or anything, but he basically spouts nonsense at them until they give up, and spouting nonsense is something he enjoys.  So there aren't really "negative emotions accompanying" for him, because it's a chance for him to do something he likes to do, while keeping them from bothering others who wouldn't get the same kick out of it that he does.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
Well, in DH's case, he does enjoy messing with them.  While I'm sure he wouldn't like it so much if he took them seriously, and he wouldn't go to the trouble of getting the police involved, he does enjoy making a joke out of it.  He doesn't get abusive or anything, but he basically spouts nonsense at them until they give up, and spouting nonsense is something he enjoys.  So there aren't really "negative emotions accompanying" for him, because it's a chance for him to do something he likes to do, while keeping them from bothering others who wouldn't get the same kick out of it that he does.

Last time, this is an etiquette board. You and your husband may find his antics quite amusing, but I assure you those telemarketers do not. Etiquette dictates that we don't prevent others from doing their (legal) jobs, nor do we take it upon ourselves to mess with them for our personal enjoyment.

Am I clear?

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2008, 08:24:49 PM »
I just fgot the recorded message about the car warrenty too

it just made my whole night.  I needed a good laugh

for starters, both the cars that I own were bought "out of a driveway" not a dealership.  and they are LOOOONG past warrenty age anyway.

Too bad it was a recorded call or the poor girl would have heard the insane laughter on my end......;)

and no I don't "play with them"  I just say sorry not intrested and hang up -

the other ones that I was getting for awhile were for refinacing the house.....that's paid off

Those I usually told that you can't refinance a morgage you don't have.  And then they would try to sell a home equiety loan

Sorry - NO - bye - click
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

quiet_you

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2008, 05:28:20 PM »
I don't have a home phone anymore, but when I did, in the days before caller ID, we got them all the time. I learned to let them get out a few words, and then I'd say, "Thank you, but I'm not interested." Click.

Before I learned the few-words-thanks-click method, I would sometimes get drawn into the spiel; once, it was with someone from a long-distance company, and it was basically the conversation that made me decide to start hanging up on them, it made me so mad. The conversation went like this:

Telemarketer: Hello Ms. quiet_you, I see that you're with Company X.

quiet_you: Yes, I am.

T: Are you happy with Company X?

Q_Y: Yes, quite.

T: Well, did you know that if you switch to Company B, you'll save a lot of money?

Q_Y: No, I wasn't aware of that, but I'm very happy with Company X.

T: So you're happy spending a lot of money?

Q_Y: No, I just like Company X. I'm happy with them.

T: Well, if you want to spend a lot of money, which you apparently do, then you should stay with them.

AND HE HUNG UP ON ME.

And after that, It never went past "Hello, I'm calling from _____--" "Thank you, but I'm not interested." Click.

My best friend and I used to live together, and one day she decided she'd contribute money to the policemen's ball. AND SHE DID IT UNDER MY NAME. I was FURIOUS. I told her that if she ever did that again, I'd kill her. Every year, for the next 4 years, they'd call me and ask if I wanted to contribute money. And I'd say no, not this year. Sorry.

And when I moved out on my own and got a new phone number, they found me. And called. A couple times in a week. "No" every time.

Finally, on the third and final call in a week, someone called and asked if I wanted to contribute to the policemen's ball. And I did not mess with them. I did not offend them. I told them the truth.

Telemarketer: Ma'am, would you like to contribute to the policemen's ball? You've contributed in past years, which we appreciate, and we'd like to know if you'd like to contribute this year.

q_y: I'd be happy to. Unfortunately, I got a speeding ticket a few months ago for going 65 in a 55 zone on the interstate. I didn't slow down in time enough, and I was issued a ticket. While I have learned my lesson, this has caused my insurance to skyrocket, and I don't have a lot of extra money right now.

T: . . . Um, thank you, ma'am. Have a nice day.

q_y: You too!

scap64

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2008, 10:10:32 PM »
This is an actual, audiotaped telemarketer call.

The man answering the phone (Tom Mabe) pretends to be a police officer at the murder scene:

http://joshualowry.vox.com/library/audio/6a00c225203796f21900c2252ab8c18e1d.html

>:D

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2008, 10:54:09 PM »
Why do people do this?  Talk about rude.

Just say no and hang up

(Ok before the "do not call list" I did tell the "window people" that I rented. that got them off the phone quick and I never heard from them again)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2008, 06:26:07 AM »
I had a temp job at a university last month and one of my projects was putting together a database. So I had to call up schools and ask for the contact information of a particular position in the school. I've got no idea what the information was to be used for, but some people acted like I was trying to sell them packing peanuts or something equally silly. I just need your Project Director's contact information; if you don't want me contacting your Project Director, just say so! Nobody played any silly tricks on me, but I'm guessing the receptionist at a school district office hasn't got any four year olds to hand the phone to. Once I got put on hold for 20 mins before I told them what I wanted, though. I guess that's a similar thing.

Kia

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2008, 07:16:02 AM »
I'm trying to teach H2B the "no thankyou, bye" *click* method. Unfortunately he usually answeres their questions.
TM: Is that Mr H2B
Him: Yes
TM: I'm calling to blah blah blah
Him: I've got a xyz, don't need and abc *delete as appropriate.

I'm constantly telling him, do not confirm who you are until you know who they are.

I answer the phone with "hello, who's calling?"
Very very rarely does the caller answer my question, they just ask if I am Mrs H2B (no) or if Mr H2B is available (usually not).
I'll again ask who is calling and refuse to give any info until I have an answer.

If it's a cold caller or telemarketer I'll give them the "not interested, thanks, bye" *click*
If it turns out to be a genuine caller then I'll offer to take a message/take the call.

As happened yesterday.
Me: Hello, who's calling?
Caller: Can I speak to Mr H2B
Me: No, I'm sorry, who's calling?
Caller: Oh, are you Mrs H2B?
Me: Who's calling?
Caller: It's [name] from [company]
Me: Ah, about a delivery of a treadmill?
Caller: Yes, are you Mrs. H2B?
Me: No. (should I offer more info here?)
Caller: We'd like to arrange delivery for Friday...
Me: That's fine, I'll be here all day anyway.

Is it rude of me to ask who is calling?
Is it rude of them to avoid my question?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2008, 05:36:24 PM »
Is it rude of me to ask who is calling?
Is it rude of them to avoid my question?

No, it's not rude of you to ask.  Yes, it's rude of them to avoid answering.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

vandalfan

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »
It is polite to always identify yourself first if you are calling someone. I always ask "Who is calling, please?" in a very business-like tone if a caller begins by saying, "Is Vandalfan there?"  Believe me, that takes lots of practice, not to automatically respond to your name.

LovesWater

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2008, 09:49:49 PM »

1. Our car is more than ten years old, so the manufacturer's warranty would almost certainly have expired already.

2. We bought it used, so the manufacturer's warranty wouldn't apply anyway, and there was no warranty from the dealer.

3. The calls started when we owned an even older car which we also bought used.  When we got rid of it to get our current one, the calls continued without interruption.  If what they were telling us was true, then both cars, which are about ten years apart in age, would both have to have their warranties expire at virtually the same time.

Of course, it's a recording, so I can't easily tell them not to call.  And for the past month at least, each time I've been told that "this is the last chance to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity!"  It seems like that should mean that that's the last call I'll get from them, but the next day, I get another one.  Aaaarrggghhh!!

This is the same company that also calls people with the recorded spiel of "This is Heather with account services. There's currently nothing wrong with your credit card account...blah...blah...blah". It's a massive scam. Google Heather with account services and you'll see what I mean. We've gotten the recorded calls about the car warranty, but the most calls are the Heather bit. I've been taking down the number that appears in my Caller ID display and reporting them to the FCC each time.

Oh, yes, Heather and my answering machine are old friends. This company is calling illegally because I (and probably you) are already on the DNC list. They mask the number they are calling from and give you no contact information in the recorded message. If they call when I am home and I answer, I push "1" so that I can talk to a live person. But when I ask the person the company name or telephone number, they hang up on me. I am not rude.

I do not have caller ID (and Internet searches reveal that it wouldn't matter, as these are not the true numbers) and the FCC only accept complaints that have a company name or telephone number. So I wrote three letters, one to the FCC, one to my telephone company's "nuisance calls" division, and one to my state's Attorney General. One was no response (the FCC) and the other two sent me a form letter stating that if I was bothered by nuisance calls, I should sign up for the Do Not Call list! They didn't even read my letter where I clearly stated that the business was calling *in violation* of the Do Not Call list.

Recently, a law was passed that bans pre-recorded telemarketing calls, but if this company was flouting the law before, I'm not sure that they'll stop now. I have hopes, however.