News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 12:56:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No to cold caller  (Read 56520 times)

rhirhi

Re: No to cold caller
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2009, 01:06:38 PM »
WRT Heather from Account Services- answer and press 2. That removes you from the list. I've been Heather free for 6weeks now!

Most automated systems don't mention that in their schpeil, but once you press 2, you'll hear 'The phone number XXX-XXX-XXXX has been removed from our system. That's worked most of the time. I won't say all the time, because I don't want people getting mad at me, but it really has gotten rid of all the calls for me.

Emmy

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »
I'm going to have to get better at hanging up immediately after saying "no thank you" because in my experience, telemarketers are getting more and more agressive about continuing to talk.  (Makes me wonder if they have learned to stop breathing for short periods of time.)  I hate interrupting people, but 9 times out of 10 that I try to be civilized about ending the conversation, they steamroller me.

This is why telemarketing is such a nuisance. The people who set these schemes up have realized that most of us have either (1) learned how to hang up when they call, or (2) been sucked dry of all available cash if we haven't. So, they are becoming more aggressive in their approach, to try to improve the success rate.

I wish I had the money to start a public awareness campaign - "Every time you give telemarketing companies money, you spawn a hundred more calls! Fight phone pollution today, by Just Saying No and Hanging Up!"

If we all did it, they'd go out of business.

Very true, sadly I know this from personal experience.

In my early 20's, when I just started living on my own, I made the mistake of donating $20 to a certain 'police charity' known for telemarketing.  I started getting calls from other similar charities.  After another donation or two, the calls started coming like crazy.  I would sometimes get about 3 calls a night (usually right as I was in the middle of dinner) from somebody wanting money, often asking for greedy amounts such as $75 or $100.  Well, I had enough and felt angry that they were trying to fleece me.  Most often, I'd let the phone from an unknown number ring and when I answered the phone, as soon as I found out it was a solicitor, I said "no thank you, I am not interested, goodbye" and hung up the phone without giving them the chance to continue with their pressure spiel. 

I'd also watch out for those drawing for cars.  At a Ren faire several years ago, I filled out a ticket to win something.  I got a call from a telemarketer saying I 'won' a vacation and would only have to pay $400 in fees for it.  I told her I'd call her back and she said that "this is a limited time offer, you have to decide now, blah, blah, blah".

I don't condone being rude to telemarketers, but I can understand why people think they are vultures.  They call, often disrupting a person, put on high pressure sales tactics without taking a 'no' for an answer. 

JadeAngel

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
I had a persistent cold caller last week, we had received some advertising material regarding personal insurance. As a courtesy I had shown it to my boss because it was addressed to him, but I pretty much knew it was destined for the recycle bin.

The flyer said that a representative would be contacting us to discuss the matter and sure enough a week or so later they rang. I politely explained that my boss had looked over their material and was definitely not interested in the offer... the reply to me was that they were going to have to hear that from him. Clearly a tactic to get access to the BB himself and start their high pressure sales pitch.

This went on for several days, I didn't put them through, they kept calling back at different times hoping I wouldn't be there (note to all cold callers - I am the creature that guards the gates and if I decide you're not getting through then you're not getting through. I can't be bribed, beaten, bullied or bypassed - just think of me as Cerberus  ;D )

In the end what finally worked was the E-Hell approved response.

Me: He's not interested in the service you are offering...
Cold Caller: I'm going to have to hear that from him...
Me: I'm afraid that's not going to be possible. Thank you for calling.

She may still have been talking when I put down the phone, but she hasn't rung back.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »
Good job, Cerberus, JadeAngel.  I hope your BB appreciates you as the treasure you are.  I used to be a receptionist and I guarded the gates as "doggedly" as you do! >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Moss

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2009, 04:00:30 AM »
My youngest daughter worked as a caller for a "nonprofit" for an extremely short time before deciding that she would feel a great deal more pride working at McDonald's. If you want to make a caller feel as uncomfortable as you do, simply ask what percentage of the donation actually goes to the charity.  ::) In HER case, it was 15%.

This reminds me of something that happened to me. I once had a guy who worked as an outsourcer for a charity, accost me on the street. Their job was to sign people on to ongoing contracts that would automatically deduct money from your account every month, but as I already knew, only a small amount would ever see its way to the charity. Anyway, I was walking with my DF and he asked if I was interested in a discussion about the environment (it was for an environmental charity). I politely said 'No, thank you' and continued to walk on. After walking about five feet away (waiting at the traffic lights to cross the street) he yelled out to me 'Don't you care about the environment?' in a really accusatory and rude tone. Something in me snapped, I turned around, and said 'No, I do care about the environment. However, I'm also aware that only a small percentage of what I give you will actually go to the charity in question.' He was stunned that I had the guts to answer him, and then weakly answered as I walked away 'It's probably more than you think'.  ::)

But they can also be quite polite. Another guy from a similar charity outsource group also approached me around Christmas (they're always around at Christmas time, because people give a lot more at that time) and wanted to have a discussion. He was really nice, and he pushed a bit, but I pleaded poverty (I was a Uni student at the time). We did talk about some practical measures I could take as it was also on the environment, and I politely told him that if I was interested in signing up, I would do it online at the charities specific website (in which case they don't get the commission). It took a long time for him to give up on my sale, but it was all done with good grace and cheer. I think that's what it's all about.

And if you're looking for an easy and polite way to get out of a cold call where they have no info on you, just say you're under the legal age (in Aus, 18-21 depending on the product) in which case they can't sign you up to ongoing contracts.

Mazdoy

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2009, 04:29:41 AM »

This reminds me of something that happened to me. I once had a guy who worked as an outsourcer for a charity, accost me on the street. Their job was to sign people on to ongoing contracts that would automatically deduct money from your account every month, but as I already knew, only a small amount would ever see its way to the charity.

Ugh, I get accosted by 5 or 6 Chuggers (charity muggers) on a daily basis.  They're so aggressive that I'll never ever donate to their charities.  I used to be polite and say "no thank you" but that just made them latch on and follow.  Now I make sure to have my earphones in and don't make eye contact.

One day I was really upset over something and one of the chuggers just wouldn't leave me alone so I ended up telling her to feck off.  Not polite at all but I was on the verge of tears so I thought it was better than actually pushing her out of my way.

It's been raining heavily this week so I've been able to use my umbrella as a shield to keep them away from me.  There's a lot of them this week because the universities/colleges are on their Easter Break so the students are out trying to earn money. 

Shoo

« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »
Someone from my "local fire department" called my home the other day, and when he took a breath, I quickly interjected, "Oh, I NEVER do business or give money to ANYONE over the phone.  Goodbye!" and I hung up before he could respond. 

JoW

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »
I got another call for Michael the Deadbeat last week.  The voice sounded like it was his best friend.  I gave the caller my standard polite reply to a wrong number "There's no one by that name at this number." and they said good bye and hung up.  I haven't heard from them since. 

I googled the number they called from.  It was a collections agency.  Apparently Wells Fargo sold the debt.  The collections agency is using slightly deceptive techniques to find the deadbeats.  I can deal with that.  The debt is owed, it is perfectly reasonable for them to try to track-down the person who owes it. 

Hanna

• RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »
Someone from my "local fire department" called my home the other day, and when he took a breath, I quickly interjected, "Oh, I NEVER do business or give money to ANYONE over the phone.  Goodbye!" and I hung up before he could respond. 
My mother said this to a telemarketer once, and he had the gall to argue with her "Yes you do, you order pizza."  My mother never orders pizza. 

Hanna

• RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2009, 10:41:46 AM »
I've been getting one almost every day lately offering to extend my vehicle's warranty, which they mysteriously know is about to lapse.  This seems odd to me because:

1. Our car is more than ten years old, so the manufacturer's warranty would almost certainly have expired already.

2. We bought it used, so the manufacturer's warranty wouldn't apply anyway, and there was no warranty from the dealer.

3. The calls started when we owned an even older car which we also bought used.  When we got rid of it to get our current one, the calls continued without interruption.  If what they were telling us was true, then both cars, which are about ten years apart in age, would both have to have their warranties expire at virtually the same time.

Of course, it's a recording, so I can't easily tell them not to call.  And for the past month at least, each time I've been told that "this is the last chance to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity!"  It seems like that should mean that that's the last call I'll get from them, but the next day, I get another one.  Aaaarrggghhh!!
Had a friend that used to work for one of these places.  Probably the same one because I always check the address on the mail I get and it indeed comes from her former company in Missouri.   She could tell you horror stories.    Auto purchase records are public, so that is how they usually get their info.

rhirhi

« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
I had NCO (a collection company, from the number and the Caller ID name) call me and ask me to pledge to a charity (I looked it up online- it's a tactic that they are known for doing- get all your information for a '$15/month pledge' through a credit or debit card and then charge the full amount of the debt)

After I used the 'We've already made our charitable donations for the year.'
'Well, can we put you down for $15 next month?'
"I'm sorry, we've already made our charitable donations for the year.'
'Well, it's not that much, I'm sure you can give something'
'Ma'am, what part do you not understand?'
'Have a good day, Mrs. MyOldLastName'

I didn't hang up, because yes, I do owe these people money, I do intend to pay (as I have been doing), and I know she's doing a job that no one wants. I'm just irritated that they flat out lie to people. I half expected her to start up with the 'this is a collection agency' schpeil when I couldn't 'donate'

Keres

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
I googled the number they called from.  It was a collections agency.  Apparently Wells Fargo sold the debt.  The collections agency is using slightly deceptive techniques to find the deadbeats.  I can deal with that.  The debt is owed, it is perfectly reasonable for them to try to track-down the person who owes it. 

Unfortunately, many of these people are not reasonable and are not using reasonable methods. 

ChristiKayAnn

« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »
My mother said this to a telemarketer once, and he had the gall to argue with her "Yes you do, you order pizza."  My mother never orders pizza. 

Yeah that argument wouldn't work with me either  ;) I order the pizza over the internet and pay at the door so no business or money over the phone.   >:D

Twik

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2009, 10:25:02 PM »
The problem with "be polite to telemarketers, because they're just poor folks stuck doing an unpleasant job to make the rent" is that many of them are trained to use people's natural politeness against them. They have been taught to take our training to be nice to people on the phone, to let them talk until they're done, to try and accommodate people, and to turn it into a trip into our wallets. Therefore, I think a quick "I'm sorry, I'm not interested in donating/purchasing/whatever, good night!" and a quick hangup (or a proper "please take me off your contact list,") is the only weapon in our arsenal. One should not torment them, but I don't think the etiquette rules of a social call, or a business call that you have initiated, should apply.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Tiramisu

« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
The problem with "be polite to telemarketers, because they're just poor folks stuck doing an unpleasant job to make the rent" is that many of them are trained to use people's natural politeness against them. They have been taught to take our training to be nice to people on the phone, to let them talk until they're done, to try and accommodate people, and to turn it into a trip into our wallets. Therefore, I think a quick "I'm sorry, I'm not interested in donating/purchasing/whatever, good night!" and a quick hangup (or a proper "please take me off your contact list,") is the only weapon in our arsenal. One should not torment them, but I don't think the etiquette rules of a social call, or a business call that you have initiated, should apply.

I totally agree Twik! 

I have always been polite to telemarketers and this has been to my detriment from time to time.  On one occasion I had a pleasant conversation with a telemarketer.  He started in on a spiel about a free phone.  I let him finish and said "Gee I'm sorry but I'm stuck on a plan with my current provider for another 18 months but I'd be happy to investigate your service when that expires, I wish you luck though".  There was a big pause and he said "M'am that was the nicest anybody has ever been to me at this job and thank you".  (He also went on to tell me that he had gotten lost that morning getting to work and his bicycle is broken etc etc)  I was amazed that he thought I was the nicest person out there just by telling him the truth!

The bad side is that usually, when I try telling them I am on a plan or I'm just not interested they have been rude to me, insisting I let them tell me all about how great it is, and have even been abusive to me.

Of late I have just been saying "I'm sorry, I'm not interested."  Then, I wait.  (And wait a while because there is quite the time delay on the phone call as they are usually calling me from this other country)  If they say "Okay, goodbye/thank you for your time/have a nice day" then everything is fine.  If they start their sentence with "but, but" or "you may not have understood the fantastic deal that I was trying to give to you", I say "I'm really not interested, I hope you have a nice day" and hang up the phone no matter if they are still speaking.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.