Author Topic: Drink Reccomendations  (Read 1698 times)

GunStreetGirl

Drink Reccomendations
« on: October 24, 2007, 02:09:40 AM »
I would like to get into some new kinds of liquor, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on low-quality stuff.  For instance, I would like to try scotch, but I don't know a good brand.  I'm pretty seasoned with tequila, but other than that, I don't know much about anything else! 
Any recommendations would be nice  ;D

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Drink Reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:32:07 AM »
We recently tried Pravda vodka and Ston vodka - both were pretty good and since they're not as well known as some, they're usually on sale here  ;D  I really like Ston - it's from Estonia & it's really smooth.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »
For vodka, go with Stoli.  I usually buy Smirnoff (it's made in MN). However, last time I was in, I was asking about the Grey Goose and Belvedere when the owner told me to go with Stoli as it's better AND cheaper!  ;D

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »
I would go with a small bottle and taste several - even the baby bottles.  So much is personal taste.

Scotch - Glenfidditch, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Johnny Walker Black or above (and I actually find the black a bit harsh) are nice brands

If you like less smokey whiskeys, I suggest Irish whiskies.  Some favorites are Jameson, Tullamore, Bushmills - and of course aging changes the quality vastly.

rosiecat

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 09:25:45 PM »
Vodka - Stoli.  Always.

Scotch - Chivas Regal.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 02:00:33 AM »

Scotch - personally, I only bother if it's single malt, and a decent age. Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie are good starting points - go for one that is at least ten years old. Good scotch is expensive, but you don't drink much at once, and you don't mix it with anything more complicated that water, so its worth it. I like Tallisker and Lagavulin.

Gin - Bombay Sapphire or Tanquery.  Gin is a fairly complex combination of flavourings, so it does matter what kind you buy. The classic drink is the gin and tonic (gin, tonic water, lime slice).

Vodka - vodka is a pretty neutral spirit, and most of the price difference is actually due to packaging rather than huge differences in taste. Go for any readily identifiable, reasonably priced.  For something different, the Polish buffalo grass vodka is nice. I usually drink vodka neat (and very cold), or with soda.

Rum: White rum and dark rum are very different. Dark rum is much stronger flavoured, and is the key ingredient in rum and coke or heated rum drinks. White rum is better in cocktails like mojitos or daquiris, where dark rum would overpower the other ingredients. 

Rye whiskey (aka Canadian whiskey) - I just buy at the cheaper end, as I generally use it as a mixer, and it has a fairly bright taste.  I mix it with gingerale or coke.

GunStreetGirl

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 10:58:08 PM »
Wow, thank you all, I'm starting a "TRY NOW" list! 

Now i don't have to get frustrated and confused and therefore just buy Pinot Grigio. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 12:20:05 AM »
Scotch - the only time I ever liked scotch was in Scotland. There, it became strangely essential as an anti-freeze (no wonder they call whisky "the water of life").

Anyway, the best single malts I came across were Highland Park (described by some authorities as the best scotch bar none), from the Orkneys, and Talisker, from the Isle of Skye. Our scotch advisor said, in general, try to avoid anything with "glen" in its name, but Glenmorangie isn't bad.

I would like to return to the Orkneys some day to try their signature beer, known as "Old Skullsplitter", since I wimped out the first time.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

GunStreetGirl

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »
Scotch - the only time I ever liked scotch was in Scotland. There, it became strangely essential as an anti-freeze (no wonder they call whisky "the water of life").

Anyway, the best single malts I came across were Highland Park (described by some authorities as the best scotch bar none), from the Orkneys, and Talisker, from the Isle of Skye. Our scotch advisor said, in general, try to avoid anything with "glen" in its name, but Glenmorangie isn't bad.

I would like to return to the Orkneys some day to try their signature beer, known as "Old Skullsplitter", since I wimped out the first time.

really??  I've always thought Glen Fiddich and the like were hugely popular.

wheeitsme

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 07:08:07 PM »
I prefer
Bombay Saphire gin
Ketel One vodka
My husband likes Knob Creek bourbon whiskey
These are taste preferences.  Other good quality brands are still good, I just prefer these.

Pama (It's a pomegranate liqueur, lovely as an aperitif)

And for mixing I prefer Patron Citronge Orange rather than Cointreau or Grand Marnier (It has a clearer orange flavor - especially good for truffles)

A good rule of thumb is if you are want to taste the flavor of the alcohol, get the good stuff.  You don't need to get the really good stuff, but I discovered the differences between the cheap stuff, the regular stuff, and the good stuff are very noticeable.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 11:04:37 AM by wheeitsme »

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 07:51:45 AM »
Due to my background I will only drink Finlandia Vodka  ;D (or maybe a polish version when visiting my polish best friend)
for gin I prefer Beefeaters. I just do.
We're also fans of Asbach Uralt (you probably cannot get that, I'm afraid...) and Osbourne Brandy. The Calvados we get directly from a small company my DH's uncle knows...

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 01:13:06 AM »

really??  I've always thought Glen Fiddich and the like were hugely popular.

They're the most popular and easy to find of the single malt scotches, but they're more generic in taste.  If you want something that's unique and distinct, or really high quality, then you go for other brands.  It's like the difference between ordering Heineken and a micro-brewery beer, or white zinfadel vs a more upscale French wine, or montery jack cheese vs five year old farmhouse cheddar.

Now, if you genuinely like the cheaper stuff better, then you might stick with it, rather than buying the fancier stuff to impress others. However, if you start developing a taste for something like Scotch, your preferences tend to drift away from the more generic varieties.

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 02:53:14 PM »
I'd have to disagree with everyone on the vodka.

Try Grey Goose.  It's the smoothest of all the vodkas listed so far.

After that, try Ciroc vodka... imported from France, distilled from wine grapes.  Both are great chilled and straight... or you could mix in a little flavored sparkling water.  Anything else would be overkill.  ;)

Of course, I don't drink anymore...

edenparadox

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »
As far as vodka, nononononono. It is not that neutral and there is a HUGE difference between good vodka and bad vodka. Try Georgi vodka if you don't believe me and then tell me how long you spend trying to wash the taste out of your mouth. Don't buy cheap vodka.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »
Gin - Bombay Sapphire or Tanquery.  Gin is a fairly complex combination of flavourings, so it does matter what kind you buy. The classic drink is the gin and tonic (gin, tonic water, lime slice).

Your post reminded me that I hadn't had a G&T for quite some time, so I got my bottle of Tanqueray and I'm having one right now.  BF also sends his thanks to you.   :D