Author Topic: how do you like your tuna salad?  (Read 2674 times)

edenparadox

Re: how do you like your tuna salad?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 03:26:10 PM »
I like mine with mayo and either chopped onion or cucumber. I don't like too much stuff in it.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
I can eat tuna plain, i.e. just mixed w/light mayo (not Mircale Whip,  :P, sorry!). But if I have options, I'll throw in a little onion, celery, sweet relish (the only time I eat it), and I've had egg in it before, though usually my mom makes it that way. I slice up a tomato and put it on the bread directly. For some reason I just discovered that and it's mightly delicious.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 04:45:35 PM »
Tuna (from the bag, not the can), light mayo (not the whip stuff), sweet relish, mustard, pepper, green pepper (or red if I don't have a green one), and it has to be on white or wheat toast...  mmmmm

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
Does anyone have a good recipe that doesn't include any form of Mayo or Miracle Whip? I love tuna, but despise Mayo, in all its forms.  :P

Bibliophile

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
Does anyone have a good recipe that doesn't include any form of Mayo or Miracle Whip? I love tuna, but despise Mayo, in all its forms.  :P

I've substituted it for some mustard & just a little bit of ranch dressing before (no mayo in the fridge) and it was really good....

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »

I've substituted it for some mustard & just a little bit of ranch dressing before (no mayo in the fridge) and it was really good....

Thanks! Do you think it would work ok with just the mustard? Ranch has mayo in it you see... (I know, I'm wierd)

Bibliophile

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »

Thanks! Do you think it would work ok with just the mustard? Ranch has mayo in it you see... (I know, I'm wierd)

Yup - honey mustard works really well too.  I've also tried my seseme ginger dressing & that was pretty darn good too.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »
Yup - honey mustard works really well too.  I've also tried my seseme ginger dressing & that was pretty darn good too.

Oh, the sesame dressing sounds really good. I'll have to try that - thank you! :)

Elle

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 06:05:44 PM »
Farfalla,
Have you tried homemade mayo? It's a totally different (and scrumptios) taste.

I make my tuna salad with waay too much (homemade) mayo, some pepper, a little oregano, and a bit of sweet pickle. I top it with either spicy mustard or pineapple.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Farfalla,
Have you tried homemade mayo? It's a totally different (and scrumptios) taste.

I make my tuna salad with waay too much (homemade) mayo, some pepper, a little oregano, and a bit of sweet pickle. I top it with either spicy mustard or pineapple.

No, I haven't. Do you have a recipe you like? I'd be curious to see it if you have time to post it.  :)

Elle

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »
In a mixing bowl or the cup for your immersion blender (I recommend the immersion blender unless you need an upper body workout)

Mix 1 egg yolk with:
1/2 tsp of salt (fine like popcorn salt)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 pinches of sugar

In a separate bowl combine
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tblsp white wine vinegar

Add half the lemon juice mixture to the yolk mixture and beat the eHell out of it with a whisk (or use the immersion blender). Add:
1 cup oil (safflower is what I use, corn is good, but olive oil gives a nice taste too) a teensy bit at a time.

The mixture will lighten and thicken (form an emulsion) and you can step back the whisking a bit. Then you can add the oil as a steady drizzle.

Add the rest of the juice/vinegar once you've added half the oil.

Once all the oil is added then cover and let sit for an hour or two at room temperature to set up. Will keep for a week in the fridge.

You can dress the recipe up by adding other spices and flavors (celery seed, rosemary, chipolte peppers, red pepper, increase the sugar)
Or using different oils (substitute a tablespoon or two of safflower oil for chile oil)
Or different acids (lime juice, basalmic vinegar)

As long as you have the egg, the oil, some acid, and a few dry ingredients (to hold it together) the recipe is infinitely changeable.

bon appetit

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 07:42:48 PM »
Thanks Elle! That sounds very good. I'll have to give it a try and add in some of the chipotle you mentioned - chipotle makes everything better.  :D

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 09:27:26 PM »
Tuna, mayo, a little salt and black pepper. That's the basic. For crunch I might add sliced green onion or pickle relish or, for a treat, shoestring potatoes.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 06:00:37 AM »

if you like spicy food - mix it with spicy (HOT!) red pepper paste or maybe even salsa. all you need is something to hold it together.

a very popular dish in israel is a tunisian "tuna sandwich" - they don't eat the tuna with mayo at all. you mash or chunk the tuna, and stuff it into a roll (originally a "fried" roll) or baguette, with hot pepper paste, sliced hard boiled eggs, black olives, preserved lemons, capers, carrot salad, etc. yum!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 09:30:07 AM »

if you like spicy food - mix it with spicy (HOT!) red pepper paste or maybe even salsa. all you need is something to hold it together.

a very popular dish in israel is a tunisian "tuna sandwich" - they don't eat the tuna with mayo at all. you mash or chunk the tuna, and stuff it into a roll (originally a "fried" roll) or baguette, with hot pepper paste, sliced hard boiled eggs, black olives, preserved lemons, capers, carrot salad, etc. yum!

I LOVE spicy food - thanks! I'm looking forward to trying all of these ideas. :)