Author Topic: how do you like your tuna salad?  (Read 3055 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
how do you like your tuna salad?
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:44:19 PM »
i like a crunchy tuna salad. i usually just add tomato, cuke, scallions, sometimes celery.

today i added: cuke, tomato, scallion, celery, carrot and....olives and fennel. really gave it some oomph!

(ok, now you are going to tell me that you've been adding fennel for years, but it was a new thing for me)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Summrs

Re: how do you like your tuna salad?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 01:38:57 PM »
I like it chunkier, not broken up all the way, like Subway makes theirs.  I make it with Miracle Whip (love that tang), onion, celery, including some of the leaves... and occasionally, though not often, with sweet pickle relish. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »
Lots of real mayo. 
Chedder French Fried Onions left on top give it a pleasant crunch. 
Oh, and cheese melted on the bread. 

Lately, I use the Tuna Salad to make Quesodillas.  I like the not too bready taste.  Plus the warm crunchy tortillas and the still mostly cold tuna salad make a nice contrast.  I like hot and cold things together. 

beakiebean

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »
I start with tuna, shredded cheddar cheese, sweet pickle relish, and hard boiled egg. I add in carrots and celery for sure and then whatever veggies look good in the fridge or freezer-we almost always toss in some corn and some peas. Then I add a dash of mustard and mayo or miracle whip to get the right consistency. Salt, pepper, lemon juice, and garlic to taste. Slap that onto a couple lightly toasted wheat bread slices and it's good to go. If we've got some nice tomatoes I slice them and top the sandwich with them but I don't put them in the tuna salad because it makes it runny if you keep it in the fridge for a day or two.

My tuna salad is always very colorful.  ;D People always think it sounds odd but it's really good and a little healthy with all the veggies thrown in.

Becca

TaylorMade

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 03:33:10 PM »
The only way I will eat Tuna Salad is if it only has the following:

Tuna (in water, not oil)
Mayo (no miracle whip for me)
A tiny bit of Lemon Juice
Celery Seed (NOT cut up celery, but celery seed from a jar)

I cannot order Tuna Salad out because people put so much 'stuff'' on them :)  I also hate pickles/relish with a passion!!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »
...Tuna (in water, not oil)...

Have you tried the Tuna in Olive Oil?  It is fabuluous.  No greasiness like the veg. oil.  Tuna in water tastes dried out after eating the Olive Oil stuff.  The tuna is tunier (a word?) somehow. 

TaylorMade

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:39:32 PM »
...Tuna (in water, not oil)...

Have you tried the Tuna in Olive Oil?  It is fabuluous.  No greasiness like the veg. oil.  Tuna in water tastes dried out after eating the Olive Oil stuff.  The tuna is tunier (a word?) somehow. 

I've never even seen it.  I always buy Geisha tuna..  It's a little more expensive, but it's my favorite and I stock up when it's on sale.

loopey2u

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:41:05 PM »
Miracle whip and relish for tuna fish sandwiches on toast.

Tuna salad:  1 box small shell noodles.  Add finely chopped onions and celery, miracle whip and peas (all to taste, there is no recipe) for cold tuna pasta salad.

Tuna casserole:  1 can of cream of mushroom soup plus 1/2 can of milk, 2 cans of drained tuna, plus 1 box of cooked medium shell noodles.  Cook soup and milk, add tuna and stir until it becomes creamy.  Add cooked pasta and place in baking dish.  Add crushed potato chips as topping (to taste)and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 35-45 min. 

Can you tell we like tuna???  lol

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:43:52 PM »
Withed minced onion, minced dill pickle and shredded cheese.

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 01:10:28 AM »
Chunked tuna, not shredded
real mayo
coarse chopped cashews
chopped apple
chunked dried cherries
served on a croissant

or

same, minus cherries, apple, and cashews, add chopped onion, hard cooked egg, celery, and sweet pickle relish, and serve on white toast
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 01:38:26 AM »
Miracle Whip and Tuna, that's it.

But I love Miracle Whip, it totally makes a BLT too!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:51:25 AM »
interesting ideas! i never had fruit in my tuna salad - looks interesting. i also don't think i've ever had miracle whip --- i don't think they have that in israel -- i do't know what it is --- i always thought it was just mayonnaise but i guess that's not correct. I am tryig to stay away from cheeses so i don't add cheese to my tuna.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »
Miracle Whip is fake mayo.  Sold right next to it.  The mayo. debates can get quite heated.   

Summrs

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 01:15:42 PM »
It's not fake Mayo!  LOL.  It's tangy mayo.  I think what you grew up with is what you prefer.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 06:39:56 AM »
Miracle Whip is fake mayo.  Sold right next to it.  The mayo. debates can get quite heated.   

hmmmm i wonder if one could make bean dip with miracle whip??
 >:D >:D >:D