Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Throwing a baby shower

(1/5) > >>

orange:
Me and a couple of girlfriends are planning to throw a baby shower for a very close friend in April.
None of us ever threw one before (most of us are still at a stage when babies kinda scare us ;D), so any feed backs from you guys would be awesome.

We're planning to either have brunch at some restaurant or throw the shower at a friends house.
From anyones experience, which is the better way to go? Restaurant or house?

It's the mommy-to-be's second baby, and I know that she has some of the bigger things (i.e. baby carriage, car seat, crib) left over from the first baby.  We're planning to get her a bunch of baby clothes, cute blankets, baby bottles, and a large supply of diapers (not the most glamorous gift, but that's one thing less for her to worry about), so we got the presents covered more or less.  Is there anything important that we're missing?  Like some item that everyone would like to receive at their baby shower?

I know that there is a lot of time left before April, but with everyone busy with work I would like to have an  early jump on it.  We're already starting to pick up little gifts if something cute catches our eye.

My friends and I would really like to make this shower memorable, so if anyone has any suggestions please post them :)

Thanks in advance :)

Sharnita:
I'm assuming you already know that the conventional wisdomsays one shower per mommy in a lifetime and you and friends all agree to do a little shower event anyway. This does not bother me if all the guests indicate an interest/desire to buck tradition. Just know some people would not appreciate this.

A neat idea for a shower is to encourage everyone to bring their favorite kids' book with a message for new baby written on the inside cover.

We had favors for everyone - a votive holder and votive with an attached poem asking the person to light a candle and say a prayer for the new baby upon hearing of its arrival.

CynthiaBelle:

--- Quote from: orange on January 17, 2007, 11:12:48 AM ---We're planning to either have brunch at some restaurant or throw the shower at a friends house.
From anyones experience, which is the better way to go? Restaurant or house?

--- End quote ---

From personal experience, I have a two different opinion's on them, but I'll give you both.

Restaurant: This is easier as far as clean up, preparing, etc. The only problem is that this is more expensive, and you're "locked into" certain things.

House: This is a good way for everyone to have a fun and relaxed time. Admittedly, the problem with this (or not a problem depending on how you view things.) is the fact that you are stuck with clean up, food, etc.

A few great ideas\games:

I agree with Sharmita and the kid's book idea, that's also a good way to have a guest book. Have one book and have everyone sign a different page--it'd be a nice memento.

Guess The Baby Food: 10-12 differnet jars, each with a number on the lid, and no label. Have everyone guess what's what.

"Baby" game: Everyone wears necklaces with pacifiers, has a painted clothes pin, or something of the sort. Anyone who catches you saying "baby" has to give up their item. The one at the end of the shower with the most wins a game. (Fun story, at a baby shower for a friend, (she was having a boy), we used blue old fashioned clothes pins. The woman who won the most, all but 3, made a frame out of them and gave it back to her for the Christening present!)

Babyshowers are a lot of fun!! The best advice I could give is be organized and prepared!!!

Good Luck!!!

orange:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on January 17, 2007, 11:35:32 AM ---I'm assuming you already know that the conventional wisdomsays one shower per mommy in a lifetime and you and friends all agree to do a little shower event anyway.

--- End quote ---

She never had a shower for the first baby.  At that time she just moved to a new country and didn't really know anyone.
Absolutely looove the idea with the book. thank you!

CynthiaBelle thank you for all the ideas for the games, everyone will love those.

moongirl105:
Another great game is Baby Gift Bingo.  This was played at my shower last month.

I've seen this done two ways:
1.  Make up a blank bingo card with a free space, and during the lunch/appetizer/socializing portion of the event, have participants fill in the spaces with the names of gifts they think the new mom is going to receive.  When gifts are being opened, participants mark on their cards which gifts were revealed, and the first one to Bingo gets a prize.
2.  Print out pictures of the mother's registry items (I've also seen this done for a bridal shower) and paste them in various positions on bingo cards.  The above procedure during the gift opening applies here.

This was a great game because it really gets participants involved in the gift opening.  It was neat when I opened up a package of diapers, for instance, that shouts of excitement would go up around the room.  The cool thing was, the hostess of the shower had several prizes to give out, so more than one person was eligible to win.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version