Author Topic: I've Been Wondering....  (Read 3613 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: I've Been Wondering....
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 02:41:11 PM »
One of the things that drunk people should take into consideration is how the sober people around them will consider their behaviour. In my social circle we're all quite heavy social drinkers - everyone enjoys themselves, there's always plenty of crashing room. So when you're drunk with the drunks, it's loads of fun. No one feels left out, everyone's having a blast.

But when I find myself the designated driver for the night, these drunk antics aren't so amusing. I don't mind people being drunk and merry and me driving them home. But when they start yelling or suggesting idiotic things (like sticking their heads out of my moving car's sunroof - I don't think so!) THEN they've crossed the line. Because they've made me feel uncomfortable in continually saying "No" and feel out of place for being the sober one there. I find that extremely unacceptable in drinking situations.

I think as long as the drinking does no harm to anyone (harm ranging from annoying people in the vicinity to hurting someone or themselves) then it isn't a problem. However, I won't argue that one of the problems of being drunk is losing the ability to perceive one's surroundings, and thus, how uncomfortable others in the vicinity may be.

Very good point.  I can see why it would be annoying when you're (general you) sober, but then again, if you (general) were drunk along with them, you'd (general) probably find it to be funny.

I'm certainly not condoning it because your stated example can be very dangerous. 

lolane

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 06:31:22 PM »
For the most part, getting sloppy drunk and becoming obnoxious is in poor taste, and is rude. However, one can be drunk without being obnoxious and in that case it would depend on the situation whether they were being rude or not. Also, just because someone is drunk over the age of 25 does not mean they are alcoholics. My dear friend is a wine drinker who never gets drunk. After 9 long months of pregnancy and 12 more of breasfteeding we went out to dinner and she had one glass of wine - she got sloppy drunk, and ended up getting sick. I would not consider her an alcoholic, and while her behavior might have been rude, I certainly wouldn't hold it against her, or turn my noise up at her.

My point is just that sometimes people get drunk. Sometimes it's on purpose and on a regular basis and that's not good. But sometims people get drunk unintentionally. So as someone else stated - it depends on the circumstances.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 11:48:33 PM »
Mr. Sirius and I don't drink, so if someone were to show up at our house and start drinking, they'd have had to have brought their own bottle.  I think getting drunk at the home of someone who doesn't drink is especially rude, and I personally would never invite this person back.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 03:46:15 PM »
I'm going to digress from everyone else's opinion.  I think it depends on the circumstances and the social circle. 

In my younger days, we went to house parties and alot of people got drunk.  It was almost expected.

Today, depending on who I am with will dictate the amount of alcohol.  I don't take offence if someone comes to my house and gets drunk.  As long as they don't do anything to destroy my home, I have no problem with it. 

I would never go to Great Aunt Tilley's 99th birthday party and get sloshed, but if my  husband and I are invited to someone's house party, I wouldn't think less of people if they got plastered so long as they don't make a total fool of themselves. 

I know this has been debated here and on the other board, where many people assume if one gets drunk, they are an alcoholic.  That is just not the case.  At least, in my opinion it isn't.   

I very much agree that it depends on the situation and the people involved, and i also agree that being over 25 has nothing to do with anything.

After the Eagles v. Saints game at our friends' house a few weeks ago everyone there got pretty drunk. We even invented a new shot game, and all were over 25. A very good time was had by all as we drank away our disappointment at our team losing. Had they won we'd surely all have done the same thing in celebration.

The difference there then from Auntie V's situation, though, was that it was all of us, not just one person playing the drunken fool, and it was the host who broke out the shot glasses. I think that makes a lot of difference.

Like sparksals, i wouldn't personally have a huge problem with it unless things were getting broken or someone was causing trouble because of their drunkenness. By the same token, though, if the host does have a problem with it there is no reason they should feel obligated to invite that person back into their home. It's one of the nice things about having your own place, IMO, and not at all rude.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem