Author Topic: ISO non-protein fillings for sandwiches ("fit for life"/food combining)  (Read 1262 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
I just went back to the "fit for life" lifestyle*. i was on it a few times, i liked it, but i kow that the big problem is when i need to take food with me for school/work. i don't like to buy food bec of price and health considerations. so i prefer to take stuff with me. at work it's less of a problem bec i have a fridge and microwave so i can do a salad with bread, or salad with protein and no bread, or a cold noodle thing, or soup or whatever.  the problem is the days i go to school - i take sandwiches with me, and need ideas for non-protein fillings. there is just so much avocado that one can eat ;D on school days it's easier for me to lug sandwiches around than containers of food (no car, and i have to lug everything in my poor backpack).

ideas?? can be bean-based, as i said, but not meat/chicken/fish/egg/cheese and also not fruit.

*in a nutshell: you have fruit on an empty stomach only, and don't have protein and carbs in the same meal (although they did somewhat allow bean-based proteins with carbs, like beans and rice), and breakfast has to be only fruit, as much as you want.  basically, the other two meals are lots of vegetables (not potatoes!!!) and either a protein (nuts, cheese, beans, chicken, fish) OR a carb (pasta, rice, potatoe)....

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Summrs

Re: ISO non-protein fillings for sandwiches ("fit for life"/food combining)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »
Hummus with sliced cucumbers and lettuce.

Sliced roma tomatoes with basil leaves and a little salt and pepper.

Use a pita pocket and fill it with corn, black beans, tomatoes, onions, etc.  Like a Mexican corn salad.

Eggplant or portobellos.  I don't eat either one so I don't know how they'd taste cold, but maybe if you roast the portobello then marinate it in a tangy dressing overnight before making the sandwich?  Both could be piled with other veggies.. spinach leaves, tomato, cucumber, etc.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:39:12 AM »
thanks summrs - good idea. i like the tomato and basil, and as luck would have it - i found a beautiful bunch of fresh basil at the market today. it's HUGE. and GAWJUS!

i will also try the mushroom thing.

thanks!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

duhrich

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 12:29:44 AM »
Lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle ;D