Author Topic: Picky children-any suggestions  (Read 4297 times)

audiolove

Picky children-any suggestions
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:21:09 PM »
My son is a really picky eater.....I do not force him to eat things-or else I will regret it.  He has an uncontrollable gag reflex.

Anyway, I have a really difficult time with getting enough protein in him.  Peanut Butter is out at school-due to peanut products getting banned from the classroom-(Please let's not start up on that one-I saw how long that thread got)

He won't eat cheese unless it's that disgusting processed cheese from taco bell, cheese in the Handi Snacks or cream cheese.

The only meat he would eat was dinosaur chicken nuggets which he won't touch now.

He loves yogurt (but it has to be Yoplait with the blue lid and the key lime pie flavor)

I would love to discover what has worked for your children.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Re: Picky children-any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 02:23:04 PM »
Are other nut butters allowed, such as almond butter or hazelnut butter?
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

audiolove

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »
Are other nut butters allowed, such as almond butter or hazelnut butter?

No- I think the child in our classroom is allergic to all nuts

pblair38

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:27:36 PM »
Hard boiled eggs?  Beans or peas, like beans in a soft taco or something like that?

I don't know...we present food to our kids and tell them that if they don't like it, they don't have to eat it, but they do have to try it.  Will he not try things, or are there just a whole lot of things he doesn't like?

Penny

Ondine

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
You are talking to the pickiest kid now grown up here.  I would only eat bologna, cheese (but not bologna and cheese)peanut butter & jam, and corned beef. I would eat tuna as I was older, but I sure didn't eat it as a kid.

Clover Leaf makes miniature cans of flavoured tuna now: my favourites are the Lemon and Dill and the Sundried Tomato and Basil.

I know this probably isn't totally healthy, but would your son drink a Chocolate Boost Shake with protein? (You can buy these in the store - the knockoff brands are similar and they taste the same). I ate Boost bars and drank Boost shakes in grade 11 - I had a really hard time eating seven times a day (high metabolism) and these shakes helped with my caloric intake. It may help with your son's protein intake.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 02:30:56 PM »
Hard boiled eggs?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »
what does he like in his sandwiches? i wouldn't worry about him getting enuf protein - if he gets protein for breakfast and supper, then he can just have sandwich with something else for lunch.

I don't know what the uncontrollable gag reflex means - is this a physical disorder? SOrry for being nosy but you did ask how we handled our kids. how old is your DS?  my DS is also very picky, but I know that with him it has to do mainly with his 'need to control'  his life due to all kind of trauma that affected him when he was younger. when he was younger I let him choose from stuff that he liked. he usually brought tuna salad sandwiches to school. sometimes sliced yellow cheese, and once in a blue moon (when his mom was in the right mood >:D) he got an omelette sandwich. when he hit 9th or 10th grade, he had alot of social anxiety issues and stopped bringing food altogether (he is 21 and still has this problem - he can go ALL DAY without any food. )

basically - i would let him take what he likes and you know he will eat, as long as it is 'healthy' enuf.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
Does he have problems chewing? If so, that might explain why he has problems with meat. You might want to look into using meats which are soft (pate type consistency) or high meat content sausages, burgers made with good quality ground beef (so not too much fat)

Also try fish and look into the vegetarian section of your local supermarket. Check out soya products and see if he can eat pulses such as lentils (in soup or whatever)

NE England

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
Have you tried the pedia-sure or other nutritional shakes?  DD had a bad attack of canker sores a few weeks ago, and couldn't eat anything.  Those pedia-sure shakes saved my sanity...I was getting notes from the day care saying she hadn't eaten or drunk anything for 8+ hours...

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 02:36:01 PM »
Can you switch breakfast and lunch?  Give him PB&J at breakfast and send him to school with a container of cereal he could add milk to.

ClaireC79

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 02:36:31 PM »
I'm assuming you have tried other meats etc, but what about disguising some stuff, dd2 will only eat beef 'sandwiches' - that means two thin slices of beef with something in the middle - she won't eat beef unless it's surrounding something else (normally she'll mash potato in there)

DS would only eat pizza cold for quite a while (and then only if he'd help 'make it' - ie put the stuff on the top)

You could also try some stuff that you think he wouldn't like (dd1's favourite food is broccoli)

whipeout

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 02:44:25 PM »
ok I know i will get flamed but here it is, when i tried to be a picky eater my mother (God rest her) had me stand beside her and she feed me from my plate till i finished or ate enough of it to her standard. My kids were not picky eaters thank goodness but if they were I would have done the same thing as my mom.
That said, I have a picky eater in my circle, he was picky as a child and remains so, he is also a PITA at the dinner table. Picky eater should only be allowed for medical reasons. Now I will don my flameproof gear.  ok all set.

ch1pch0p

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 02:47:29 PM »
Another incredibly picky childhood eater here.

Have you tried telling him that he is NOT ALLOWED to throw up? That's what my mom eventually did because I also had an uncontrollable gag reflex. Mashed potatoes -- instant gag. Any casserole -- same thing. There were five of us kids, and one day she decided she'd have enough and told me she would.not.tolerate.it.anymore.

I didn't dare throw up again.

Of course I swore I would never treat my kids like that and never ever ever make them eat things they didn't like....but I've begun to see her side just a little.

ch1pch0p

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 02:48:36 PM »
ok I know i will get flamed but here it is, when i tried to be a picky eater my mother (God rest her) had me stand beside her and she feed me from my plate till i finished or ate enough of it to her standard. My kids were not picky eaters thank goodness but if they were I would have done the same thing as my mom.
That said, I have a picky eater in my circle, he was picky as a child and remains so, he is also a PITA at the dinner table. Picky eater should only be allowed for medical reasons. Now I will don my flameproof gear.  ok all set.

I was typing as you posted. No flaming here.

trailgrrl

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
Does he like ham or turkey?  Have you tried giving him cut up veggies (like carrots/celery/Colored bellpeppers/cauliflower) with Hummus dip?   Hummus is tasty and a great source of protein, and kids like to dip things.

Personally I think processed cheese is disgusting, but if you have a picky kid, it's not the hill to die on.  Have you tried Cheeze Whiz On celery sticks?  Or tried to send him with some kind of processed cheese dip to dip veggies and pretzels in?

Is there a Trader Joe's grocery store near you?  they have all kinds of fun pre packaged healthy things.   Maybe he might try a california roll?

My kids aren't particularly picky, but my older son has eaten PBJ sandwiches every day of his life (he's in high school now and takes two). He won't tuna or eggs, and I would have been in the same boat as you if Peanut butter wasn't allowed.  

ETA:  OOOhh I missed cream cheese.  Flavored cream cheese on celery sticks, or ham slices rolled up with cream cheese, cream cheese dips --  You can do a TON of stuff with cream cheese!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 02:53:55 PM by trailgrrl »