Author Topic: Picky children-any suggestions  (Read 4701 times)

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Re: Picky children-any suggestions
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »
I know you said he won't eat meat, but could you hide it? Like, mix some finely chopped deli ham with cream cheese and roll it up in a tortilla?
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

LissaR1

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 02:55:55 PM »
I hear you!  I have a picky eater, too. I rely on yogurt and milk products, but I still can because he's so young.

How about hummus?  I know it doesn't exactly seem like picky eater fare, but it does spread and can be fairly bland if he doesn't like stronger flavors.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I'm reading with interest!

Salvage3

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 03:03:45 PM »
I am more in agreement with Whipeout --at least to the point of wondering if he has a medical problem or if the problem has been addressed with a medical professional.  I would want to know if he truly is physically gagging for some medical reason or if he is self-inducing the gag reflex.

If it is the latter, I would also be talking to the doctor as to how much food he actually needs to be healthy and making sure what he eats to accomplish those goals.  But I would not be allowing him to dictate everything that he eats or wants to eat.

As children, my sister and I were not required to eat everything that was on the table, but we were not allowed to "simply be picky".

I am sorry to put it this way, but I believe he may be picky because he is being allowed to be.  From your examples, it would appear to me that it is a little over the top.  If the doctor says there is nothing wrong, I would be inclined to let him be hungry and then eat what is presented --with the exception of things that are truly disliked by many people.  If it is standard family-fare, he eats it or has a really good reason for disliking it.

ClaireC79

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 03:22:07 PM »
I've known too many people who when forced to eat a food they don't like as a child werephysically sic afterwards.  I'm not going to force my child to eat something they don't like (try a bite yes) they aren't getting anything else instead and can wait until the next meal time but I'm not going to force them

wheeitsme

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 03:23:34 PM »
I agree with the others.  See a doctor.  If this is not a medical condition, there is some choice involved.  

When I was growing up we were allowed 1 food we didn't have to eat.  Other than that food, we had to have some of whatever was on the table.  My food was creamed tuna on toast.  Yes, it made me gag.  I could eat it, but it made me gag.  

I believe that part of a parents job is to prepare them for the world.  Uber-picky eaters will have problems.

As for protein for the uber-picky, that's probably going to change on a regular basis.

NotCinderell

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 03:25:53 PM »
Have you ever tried sunflower butter?  Totally peanut and tree-nut free, and virtually indistinguishable from peanut butter.

audiolove

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 03:30:12 PM »
Argh-My post just got erased.

There are no medical  issues involved-his gag reflex is self-evoked-and he will vomit.

He eats lots of fruits, whole grains, and vegetables.  He is neither overweight nor underweight.  

What I need is protein suggestions.  Either things I have not thought of or ways to mask protein.

I am not interested in getting into parenting issues at this time.

NotCinderell

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »
I don't know if you've tried this, but how about plain tofu?  It's boring and flavorless, but it's healthy and full of protein, and kids who like bland stuff would eat it.

duhrich

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 03:37:23 PM »
Have you ever tried sunflower butter?  Totally peanut and tree-nut free, and virtually indistinguishable from peanut butter.

That was what I was going to suggest as well. It is called Sunbutter. If you google it, you should be able to find some. It does taste different from peanut butter but has the same texture. It also comes in a couple different varieties, one with honey in it. PM me if you want to get ahold of some and can't find it.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 03:41:49 PM »
I know our vegetarian members can help with this... what could be mixed with refried beans and/or bean dip (heh) to make a complete protein?
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »
Go to the local body builder/health food store and look for protein powder shakes.  If he likes those great, if not maybe you can find things you can mix it with.

Jello actually has high protein and would be easy to send with him to lunch

Tofu is high in protein, but could be hard for a kid to deal with.  But i have heard of people putting it in milkshakes and smoothies. I did not like it, but it does blend well.

Also possibly soy milk

Have you tried beef jerky? 

I was also a picky eater and my advice would be to really really listen to him about what he says makes him gag and what he likes and does not like. My issue is mostly texture - my mother never figured that out it just never clicked - if it had things may have turned out differently.  (ie she loved cooked veggies - I can not stand mush - it never occurred to her to give me raw crisp veggies because that is not how she likes to eat them - try to think beyond how  you eat and let him experiment) So try talking to him calmly as a discussion and see if you can find more of a pattern and go from there.  Be as creative as possible - you never know what a kid will decide they like - my guy has a nephew who was very fussy and rarely ate meet - but feel in love with crocodile of all things. So you just never know.

I would also suggest trying to look for foreign recipes.  Maybe you could find something that you had never thought of that sounds like something he may like.

audiolove

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 03:47:25 PM »
Go to the local body builder/health food store and look for protein powder shakes.  If he likes those great, if not maybe you can find things you can mix it with.

Jello actually has high protein and would be easy to send with him to lunch

Tofu is high in protein, but could be hard for a kid to deal with.  But i have heard of people putting it in milkshakes and smoothies. I did not like it, but it does blend well.

Also possibly soy milk

Have you tried beef jerky? 

I was also a picky eater and my advice would be to really really listen to him about what he says makes him gag and what he likes and does not like. My issue is mostly texture - my mother never figured that out it just never clicked - if it had things may have turned out differently.  (ie she loved cooked veggies - I can not stand mush - it never occurred to her to give me raw crisp veggies because that is not how she likes to eat them - try to think beyond how  you eat and let him experiment) So try talking to him calmly as a discussion and see if you can find more of a pattern and go from there.  Be as creative as possible - you never know what a kid will decide they like - my guy has a nephew who was very fussy and rarely ate meet - but feel in love with crocodile of all things. So you just never know.

I would also suggest trying to look for foreign recipes.  Maybe you could find something that you had never thought of that sounds like something he may like.

Thank you for all the suggestions-  I think a lot of it is texture and the way things blend together.   

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »
I made a hamburger using beans.  And I think beans are high in proteins.  

I even made a cuban style ham croquets using split peas that fooled my Dad.  LOL  PM me for recipes.

Other proteins would be in the natural organic food section, they have all sorts of proteins disguised as hot dogs, flavored like meats and other types.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »

That was what I was going to suggest as well. It is called Sunbutter. If you google it, you should be able to find some. It does taste different from peanut butter but has the same texture. It also comes in a couple different varieties, one with honey in it. PM me if you want to get ahold of some and can't find it.

Tahini also tastes like peanut butter.  I would use a bit of honey to sweeten it.

missknowledge

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
In our bunch the usual tactic of dealing with picky eaters is to starve them out.   By that, I mean not cater to their every whim.   They will eat when they get hungry enough.