Author Topic: Ground beef recipes?  (Read 1351 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Ground beef recipes?
« on: October 28, 2007, 07:24:20 PM »
Okay, so my parents sent me home with quite a bit of frozen ground beef.  (My grandparents are ranchers, so Dad and his brothers always have a lot of beef to share.)  My problem is, I never cook with ground beef anymore.  I used to use it a lot, but I went on a restricted carb diet a few years ago and all of my good ground beef recipes are very carb-high. (There was this beef and cornmeal hash I made all the time, but SO unhealthy.  I miss it.)  So far, all I've managed to use it for is a weird kind of stir fry.  I'd like to branch out, so does anyone have something to do with ground beef that isn't pasta/potatoes-based?

Vegemite Girl

Re: Ground beef recipes?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:31:33 PM »
Ground beef? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that phrase - do you mean mince?

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 08:06:30 PM »
Here're a few from my archives, but they may be too high carb for you . . . these are the healthier ones from my recipes!  If you want the rest (cheeseburger & fries casseroles anyone???) just let me know!  :)

From my next door neighbor:

Stuffed Green Peppers

Note from my neighbor: The following is the recipe for the peppers! My mother did add some salsa, but we add that to almost everything in our home!

Ingredients:

2 Large green sweet Peppers
Dash of salt
3/4 pound of ground beef (with a little fat)
1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
1 7 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup long grain rice
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried basil chopped and fresh
1/2 cup shredded American cheese (2 ounces)

Directions

1. Cut peppers in halves, removing stem ends seeds and membranes. Immerse sweet peppers into boiling water for NOT more then 5 minutes. Sprinkle inside with a dash of salt. Invert on paper towels to drain well.

2. In large skillet cook meat and onions tell meat is brown and onions tender. Drain off fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes, water uncooked rice. Worcestershire sauce, basil,1/4 teaspoon salt and teaspoon pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 15-18 minutes or till rice is tender. Stir in cup of cheese.

3. Fill peppers with meat mixture. Place in a 2-quart square baking dish. Bake in a 375 oven about 15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand about 2 minutes.

One of our absolute favorite soups:

Hearty Cabbage Soup

Ingredients

1.5 - 2 pounds lean ground beef
2 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
8 beef bouillon cubes
1 lb baby carrots, diced
2 stalks (1 whole package) of celery hearts, diced
1 large white onion, chopped
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Dash of crushed red pepper
4 quarts water, divided
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges

Directions

Brown the ground beef in a large stock pot. Drain fat and return to pot. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef bouillon cubes, carrots, celery, onion, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour in 2 quarts of water, and bring to a boil. Once the soup comes to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes over low heat.

Pour in another two quart of water, and return to a slow boil. Add garlic and cabbage. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until cabbage is tender. Ladle into soup bowls to serve.

From my DH's aunt:

Tamale Pie

Ingredients

1 LB ground beef
1 c (1 small) chopped onion
3/4 c garden style salsa
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
c water
1 c kernel corn
c (2 oz can) sliced ripe black olives, drained
1 pkg. (40 oz) corn muffin mix
1 c (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
c (4 oz can) diced green chilies

Directions

1. In medium skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink; drain.

2. Stir in salsa, taco seasoning mi) and water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until mixture is thickened.

3. Stir in corn and olives. Spoon into ungreased 8-inch square baking dish.

4. Prepare batter for corn muffin mix according to package directions. Stir in cheese and chilies until smooth; spread over meat mixture.

5. Bake, uncovered, in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

6. Serve topped with additional salsa and cheese, if desired.

And there's always chili, which is pretty healthy especially if you load it up with veggies and beans!  Let me know if you need a good recipe for chili!

~ Cristen

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 08:25:34 PM »
Thanks, Skyler!  I'm from Texas, so I have chili instead of blood. ;)  The stuffed green peppers in particular look really yummy.  I can't wait to try them!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 08:30:45 PM »
Could you make beef burritos using low-carb tortillas?

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »
For the stuffed peppers, you can also use red peppers and roast them on the grill.  Grill the peppers until they are black on the outside, then peel off the blackened skin.  It caramelizes the sugar in the pepper and makes it taste sweet.  I don't know the exact process of this as my friend made it for me, but it was tasty!

G'sMom

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »
Here's one for some snacky nachos:

1/2 pound ground beef (I use sirloin)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 TBSP chopped green chilies, minced (I get them in the mexican section in a little can, from El Paso)
1/2 cup low fat mexican cheese

Heat some oil in a skillet and brown the beef.  Drain fat.  Add back to skillet with chilies, cumin, and chili powder.  Heat til cooked through.  Add cheese and stir until mixed and melted.  I serve with salsa and sour cream with Tostido Scoops! :)

Note:  Not sure if Scoops are ok on your diet or not? They are pretty light and I do ok with them on Weight Watchers. I'm sure they have low carb versions of toritlla chips though? Or you could just skip the tortilla chips and miz the sour cream and salsa with the meat mix and eat with a fork! (done that before!)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:59:36 AM by jaysgrasshopper »

G'sMom

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:55:12 AM »
Chimichangas

16 oz can of refried beans
1 tsp chili powder
1-3/4 cup salsa
4-1/2 oz canned green chilies (drained and diced)
1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese
8 large burrito size tortillas
1/2 pound either ground turkey or ground beef

Warm tortillas in oven on low, wrapped in foil to prevent crisping.  In skillet (on Medium High), brown meat.  Drain and add back to pan with beans, salsa, chilies, and chili powder.  Cook til heated through, about 3 or 4 minutes.  Add cheese and mix well.
Scoop about 3/4 cup (eyeball how much it will fit in wrap) into a tortilla and wrap, burrito style (wrapping lengthwise and tucking under ends.  Place on greased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes, til brown.  Makes about 7 or 8, depending on how much filling you prefer.  Be sure to nto overstuff as they will start to leak in the oven and be messy.  Serve with sour cream and salsa.

Note:  I have used Wheat Tortillas also, and they are pretty good.  Not sure if that helps your diet or not?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:59:59 AM by jaysgrasshopper »

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 08:29:58 PM »
Note:  Not sure if Scoops are ok on your diet or not? They are pretty light and I do ok with them on Weight Watchers. I'm sure they have low carb versions of toritlla chips though? Or you could just skip the tortilla chips and miz the sour cream and salsa with the meat mix and eat with a fork! (done that before!)

I can have Scoops sometimes, but I usually save my carbs for real bread because I love it so much. :)  But it sounds really good just on its own!  I think I'll definitely try that.

Summrs

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 08:26:21 PM »
South African Curried Beef Gratin

2 tb pine nuts, slivered almonds or cashews
  1 medium onion, finely chopped
  1 tb canola or sunflower oil
  2 lbs lean ground beef
  1 ts salt
  20 grinds black pepper
  2 ts curry powder
  3 tb apricot preserves or mango chutney
  2 tb fresh lemon juice
  Custard mixture (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350.  In heavy-based skillet, toast nuts over moderate heat, tossing frequently, until they smell toasty, about 3 minutes.

In large skillet over moderate heat, heat oil and cook onion, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and fry, stirring once or twice, until well-browned, about 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, curry, preserves and lemon juice. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then stir in the toasted nuts.

Transfer to casserole or small gratin dish, and keep warm while you make the topping.

Custard
  3 large eggs
  1 1/3 cups canned coconut milk
  1 ts salt
  2 ts soy sauce
  1/2 ts paprika
  Pinch of chile powder
  10 grinds black pepper
  2 or 3 bay leaves

In bowl, whisk eggs with coconut milk. Add salt, soy sauce, paprika, chile powder and black pepper. Mix well, then pour custard (it will be thin) evenly over meat mixture. Arrange bay leaves on top. Bake for 30 minutes, until top has set and is golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving with rice and a green vegetable.

You could also make meatloaf, subbing rolled oats for the breadcrumbs.  If you're interested in a stuffed cabbage recipe I have that, too.. it uses rice. 

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 07:47:54 AM »
I  basically live on lean ground beef...
I make

meatloafs (often stuffed with things like prunes/canned corn and baby carrots/brussel sprouts)
hamburgers or meat balls with red sauce
or i fry it and add it to
red sauce to go with pasta or potatoes
soups (all kinds, really, we love our soups)
omelettes

Or I makes tacos, burritos, enchilladas etc.