Author Topic: The Care Package... and "the line".  (Read 18744 times)

LyanneB1

Re: The Care Package... and "the line".
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2007, 01:48:42 PM »
My daughter spent three weeks at Cambridge in the U.K. this summer ... when she got home the only thing she wanted was mashed potatoes.  She said she couldn't get them; every time she tried to explain she was met with blank looks.

So off to Old County Buffet we went - she wallowed in mashed potatoes!  ;)

The Shiksagoddess

Are mashed potatoes somehow different outside the UK? I have absolutely no idea why she wouldn't be able to get them over here. I do mash all the time.

I cannot imagine why shiksagoddess' daughter couldn't get mashed potatoes in Cambridge, unless it's because all the students wouldn't want something so fattening?  But then potatoes are cheap, so you'd have thought there'd be even more there.

But I do think US mashed potatoes are different to UK mashed potatoes; all the recipes I've seen for US mashed potaotes start with cooking the potatoes in chicken stock (or veggie chicken-style stock), whereas I cook the potatoes in water & mash with butter & milk.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2007, 02:38:07 PM »
My daughter spent three weeks at Cambridge in the U.K. this summer ... when she got home the only thing she wanted was mashed potatoes.  She said she couldn't get them; every time she tried to explain she was met with blank looks.

So off to Old County Buffet we went - she wallowed in mashed potatoes!  ;)

The Shiksagoddess

Are mashed potatoes somehow different outside the UK? I have absolutely no idea why she wouldn't be able to get them over here. I do mash all the time.

I cannot imagine why shiksagoddess' daughter couldn't get mashed potatoes in Cambridge, unless it's because all the students wouldn't want something so fattening?  But then potatoes are cheap, so you'd have thought there'd be even more there.

But I do think US mashed potatoes are different to UK mashed potatoes; all the recipes I've seen for US mashed potaotes start with cooking the potatoes in chicken stock (or veggie chicken-style stock), whereas I cook the potatoes in water & mash with butter & milk.

I've lived in the US all my life & I've never heard of cooking the potatoes in stock.  I've always cooked them in plain salted water, then mash with butter & milk.  If you want really rich mashed potatoes, add a beaten egg to the hot potatoes & mash away.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2007, 11:00:33 AM »
I've lived in the US all my life & I've never heard of cooking the potatoes in stock.  I've always cooked them in plain salted water, then mash with butter & milk. 

Ditto that. I don't know anyone who cooks them in stock.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Shortcake

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
I've lived in the US all my life & I've never heard of cooking the potatoes in stock.  I've always cooked them in plain salted water, then mash with butter & milk. 

Ditto that. I don't know anyone who cooks them in stock.

Me either!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

skbenny

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2007, 12:48:05 AM »
I don't cook mine in stock, but I do add a bit of bouillon, sour cream and/or cream cheese to the boiled and drained potatoes along with butter.  Or I might add just butter and milk.  Or I might add butter milk and ranch dressing.  Sometimes I add a dash of garlic.

What about peelings?  If the potatoes are red, I leave them on.  If they are russets, I peel them.

Potatoes are my DD2's favorite food, so I have become creative in the last 22 years.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2007, 07:11:47 AM »
My region just cooks the taters in salted water, drains and mashes. Butter can be added at will by the eater.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2007, 08:38:56 AM »
But for the Aussies on the board you are missing one of Australias finest, which I miss most when I go overseas... Tim Tams!!! 

In UK supermarkets since Natalia Imbrulia did the Tim Tam Slam on So Graham Norton.  Nice, but not as good as a Penguin IMO.

Marmite makes a good vegan no-cal stock in a pinch.

ninja710

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »
I don't cook mine in stock, but I do add a bit of bouillon, sour cream and/or cream cheese to the boiled and drained potatoes along with butter.  Or I might add just butter and milk.  Or I might add butter milk and ranch dressing.  Sometimes I add a dash of garlic.

What about peelings?  If the potatoes are red, I leave them on.  If they are russets, I peel them.

Potatoes are my DD2's favorite food, so I have become creative in the last 22 years.

Or some creamy horseradish.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2007, 10:44:43 PM »
We Aussies need vegemite. You can get it in the UK but anywhere else is difficult. Marmite isn't the same though close, it's way too sweet. When my parents lived in the UK I had to send them violet crumbles and chicken twisties, they missed them  :D Mmmm violet crumbles....

Bluenomi,

I'm from the USA, never been to Australia, but I have a very soft spot in my heart for CherryRipe.  Love the stuff, can't get enough (and haven't had any for years).  A friend went to Australia and brought it back as a "treat" for the rest of us and that was how I got hooked.  For a while we used to get it through various catalogs and even at a special booth at one of our fairs...but lately, all those sources have dried up. 

I found a recipe to MAKE it, but it just isn't the same gooey concoction (and it tastes way too healthy).

I don't want Violet Crumble (which I can get at my local supermarket) or any of the others (well, I do like those candy coated chocolates that taste of orange, but that's another story)  I just want CherryRipe...know any sites that sell it these days?

Lily, dying for chocolate, mashed cherries and coconut.

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2007, 02:41:15 AM »
We Aussies need vegemite. You can get it in the UK but anywhere else is difficult. Marmite isn't the same though close, it's way too sweet. When my parents lived in the UK I had to send them violet crumbles and chicken twisties, they missed them  :D Mmmm violet crumbles....

Bluenomi,

I'm from the USA, never been to Australia, but I have a very soft spot in my heart for CherryRipe.  Love the stuff, can't get enough (and haven't had any for years).  A friend went to Australia and brought it back as a "treat" for the rest of us and that was how I got hooked.  For a while we used to get it through various catalogs and even at a special booth at one of our fairs...but lately, all those sources have dried up. 

I found a recipe to MAKE it, but it just isn't the same gooey concoction (and it tastes way too healthy).

I don't want Violet Crumble (which I can get at my local supermarket) or any of the others (well, I do like those candy coated chocolates that taste of orange, but that's another story)  I just want CherryRipe...know any sites that sell it these days?

Lily, dying for chocolate, mashed cherries and coconut.

I am from Australia and I have had lots of trouble finding various things on my travels. Can't live without Cherry Ripes - What sort of world would it be???

Try this: http://www.homesick.com.au/SHOPPING/shopexd.asp?id=8

It also has things like Tim Tams, Vegemite and other Aussie staples.  May be exxy though.

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

CG

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »
Thank you to those who described Vegemite and Marmite. There are a few British restaurants in downtown Santa Monica, CA. and I wonder if I could find either of these spreads there. Have to try next time I go to the Farmer's market.

Thanks for the information.

Ginger

World Market normally carries stuff like that down here in Texas, they might carry it in your area as well. Looks like they have several stores around Santa Monica.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2007, 09:13:49 PM »
Thank you to those who described Vegemite and Marmite. There are a few British restaurants in downtown Santa Monica, CA. and I wonder if I could find either of these spreads there. Have to try next time I go to the Farmer's market.

Thanks for the information.

Ginger

I don't know how I missed this comment...

Yes, you can find Vegemite and Marmite at The Continental Shop and at The Tudor House... Tudor House is on 2nd Street.

Which Farmer's market do you go to?  If it's the Saturday one, we've probably passed each other in the crowd!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Lizettarose

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2007, 04:56:12 PM »
In my area we have at least three stores that sell these delectable dishes. I have never really left my state (Nebraska) but love them. Especially violet crumble. My BFF's Mom is from england and she got me addicted to it all. Hmmm time for some shopping!

DreamingOfARedGown

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2007, 03:32:02 AM »

Violet crumble honeycomb tends to be very dense, whereas Crunchie is airier (?).  I prefer the Crunchie!

Clearbrite - thanks for the crumpet reference; now I need some!!
 :)

I was going to say the same thing about violet crumbles, one of my all time favourite...

But for the Aussies on the board you are missing one of Australias finest, which I miss most when I go overseas... Tim Tams!!!  They never go amiss in a care package (more often than not you dont get to eat them all cos everyone else is asking if they can have one)

Tim Tam Slams, baby!  I did mine with hot chocolate because I don't drink coffee or tea and the chocolaty goodness was so intense I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!  Again, the friend who went to New Zealand brought them back and taught us sad, Tim Tam-less Americans how.

Bobbie Fleckman

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »
My DS1 has become very "Australized", since he has been engaged to a young lady over there and studying in Queensland.  Unfortunately, his time over there will come to an end shortly, and he was IMing me about some of the treats he'll miss.  I know he is hoping his girl or his friends will keep him supplied with the occasional care package of Tim Tams.  But, he won't miss the vegemite.  We still have half a jar of it anyway from when his girl last visited.

Kitty, I consider myself quite well-versed in Geography, but I had myself a "brain dead moment", and actually had to Google the Canaries to remember where they were!  Duh!  I must be running out of free disc space up there!   :P