Author Topic: above and beyond duty  (Read 2002 times)

kkl123

above and beyond duty
« on: January 18, 2007, 12:41:56 AM »
A friend works at a big company near Portland, Or.  We've just had a bad snow and ice storm, something that's so rare that there just isn't enough heavy equipment to handle it the way you might see in, say, Minneapolis.  Even snow shovels are a rarity here.  Private parking lots are rarely cleared after a storm -- you just wait for it to melt.  But we're getting re-freezes every night, resulting in some really bad icy ruts.

Anyhow... friend uses a power wheelchair, and when he got to work this morning, the parking lot wasn't cleared, and the sidewalk was sort of cleared, but mostly just tromped down, and tough going.  They're also doing some construction at the plant, and friend asked one of the guys if he'd take a swipe at the walkways with a bobcat, if he happened to have a couple minutes and was using the bobcat anyhow.  Guy said, "sure, no problem".

When friend got out of work this evening, he found the crew had cleared the entire walkway to the handicapped parking area, shoveled all the way around the truck, applied de-icer and sand... then he found out they'd shoveled it by hand (a couple hundred feet) because the bobcat was in use all day.

There's a quadruple batch of brownies going to work tomorrow, and thank you letters.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: above and beyond duty
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 02:13:36 AM »
Aww! That's so nice of them!  :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:26:09 AM »
stands up and appalads

goes to show there are good people still out there
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Irish Clovers

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 09:36:33 AM »
Wow.  Just.....Wow!   ;D

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »
Wonderful!  Nice to see that warm hearts are still out there, doing good things!