Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

Won't you Volunteer?

(1/6) > >>

bopper:
I just used this last night.

My daughter is in a CCD class (Catholic classes)...now my DH is Catholic, I am Protestant and we go to both kinds of churches, but anyway...
Somebody called telling us about some useful information about CCD, and then said they were asking for more volunteers. 
I said "I am sorry, I have enough Volunteering commitments and I cannot not take on anymore" (and besides, I am not Catholic and I volunteer at the Methodist Church)...
She said "If people don't Volunteer, it may become mandatory."
I said "I understand."

I should have said "Well, then it is not really volunteering anymore is it?"  ;D

Twik:
Um, how exactly would they make it "mandatory"?

Oh, I know, they mean "your child can't be in the class if a parent doesn't volunteer'. But I have this vision of parents being dragged away by the collars to perform their volunteer duties.

freakyfemme:
You know, I have to wonder about the quality of a CCD class taught by a parent who doesn't want to do it, and is only performing his or her "volunteer" duties under duress.  It'd probably consist of something like, "This is Jesus, yeah, he was pretty cool......okay, recess!!!"  So, I really don't think it'd be in the kids' best interest to make the volunteering "mandatory."

Twik:
On the other hand, I know that if there aren't some pretty strong goads, things like this tend to fall heavily on the shoulders of a few committed (or bad at escaping) people. It's not unreasonable to say, "If you want us to continue offering this free service/program, you need to give us a helping hand now and then". However, there are just some people who do not have the time to commit.

Shortcake:

--- Quote from: Twik on October 31, 2007, 07:29:27 PM ---Um, how exactly would they make it "mandatory"?

Oh, I know, they mean "your child can't be in the class if a parent doesn't volunteer'. But I have this vision of parents being dragged away by the collars to perform their volunteer duties.

--- End quote ---

That's what I thought too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version