Author Topic: Leftover Roast Chicken  (Read 710 times)

edenparadox

Leftover Roast Chicken
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:38:58 PM »
So I made that chicken pot pie yesterday and for it we roasted a bunch of chicken.

More chicken than we needed.

Any ideas for what to do with the rest?

Summrs

Re: Leftover Roast Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »
Chicken salad?  Chicken tetrazzini?  Chicken enchiladas? 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 05:11:53 AM »

Cut the meat of the bones and remove the skin.  Roast chicken freezes pretty well, and it's easy to throw in soup or salad or pasta. 

Take the bones with the scraps of meat, the skins and all the pan drippings, along with an onion, a carrot and a stick of celery, all chopped. Put in a big pot, cover with cold water and very slowly bring to a simmer (it should take ~45 minutes to heat up). Simmer for about 3 hours, occasionally skimming off the scum. Remove the bones, strain, chill over night and skim off the fat.  => homemade chicken stock, which freezes well and tastes much, much, much better than the stuff you buy in the store, even the expensive organic stuff.

MyFamily

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:27:14 PM »
baked egg rolls is our favorite thing to do with left over chicken - really easy!

Take a bag of coleslaw (cabbage, carrots, etc) and saute in a pan sprayed with Pam.  Add the chicken and any other grated vegetables you'd like.  Add spices (garlic, ginger, etc), drizzle some olive oil (though sesame oil or such would also be good) and soy sauce, saute it it all until the cabbage is just past wilted.

If you buy the egg rolls in the packages in the produce part of the grocery store (where I find them), you can follow their directions for making the egg rolls.

Put them on a baking sheet sprayed with Pam, once they are all on the sheets, spray the tops of the egg rolls with Pam, bake at 350 for around 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Really yummy, very easy and they are good cold.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 02:48:54 PM »
Add it to some corn chowder and serve with rustic italian bread.

My favorite corn chowder recipe is from Mimi's Cafe:

4 tablespoons butter or margarine       3 cups frozen corn, thawed
6 tablespoons onion, chopped       2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup celery, large dice       2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups hot water       1 pinch white pepper
2 cups raw potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes       3 tablespoons flour
1 quart Half & Half       

Method
On medium heat, melt butter, then simmer onion and celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not brown.

Add water, potatoes, corn and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender.

Whisk the flour into 1 cup of the Half & Half, and stir into the soup. Add the remaining 3 cups of Half & Half. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the soup has thickened to a creamy consistency.

Correct the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed. In order to correct the consistency or the soup you may add a little milk to make it thinner. To make the soup thicker, simmer another 5-10 minutes.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:24:52 PM »
In a large stock pot( at least 8 quarts) place the chicken carcass. Add 1 chopped onion, 1 bunch chopped celery, some peppercorns, a bay leaf and some italian seasoning. cover with water (I use 6 quarts). bring to a boil and then turn to low and let simmer for about 2 hours. Remove carcass from broth. Scrap all meat from bones. Use broth in recipes like Chicken and Noodles or Chicken and Dumplins. Broth also freezes well.

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

G'sMom

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:26:35 AM »
Chicken Quesadillas!
(btw, my quesadilla maker turned out to be the best 20 bucks I ever spent!)

All you need are some burrito sized tortillas, shredded mexican cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc.  I take the chicken and throw it in a pan and mix with some taco seasoning then pop into my Q-maker.  You can also do this with a large fry pan, spray the pan liberally with Pam or if you're feeling crazy put in butter for a nice crisp  ;)  Kind of like flipping a big pancake with stuff in it. Be fearless though! :)