Author Topic: Give me your car keys NOW  (Read 2726 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Give me your car keys NOW
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:49:14 PM »
We've had a huge ice storm the past few days where I live.  It's been gorgeous.  We even got a little snow two days ago.  Because of the roads' icing over, we all had to stay inside - no work.  YEA!!!

Last night, my across-the-hall neighbor knocked on my door and demanded my car keys.  I was a little taken aback by the demand!  But, then she went on to say that she was headed out to the parking lot to de-ice my car, so I would be able to get to work today without any problems.

I gave her my keys.  And, sure enough, a few minutes later, she was out in the ice, all bundled up, getting the ice off my car.

When she came back, I gave her a slice of birthday cake that my Mom had made for me this past weekend.  And, I thanked her profusely.

She said that my knees are bad enough that she knew it'd be hard for me to get the ice off this morning.  And, if I had any problems starting my car, her husband said to call him.

Then, she left.  It was the most amazing, and wonderful, thing! :)

I, actually, have a nice neighbor here!

SunkissableOne

Re: Give me your car keys NOW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 02:13:10 PM »
That is such a kind and thoughtful thing to do!  I feel like sometimes people forget about things like helping their neighbors out or holding doors.  All too often people are in it just for themselves.  It's nice to see there are still people out there like your neighbor.

NYGirl100

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »
That's so nice of your neighbor!  You are very lucky. 

Pixie

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »
Awww, that was so sweet!   I hope you had a wonderful birthday.  Nice neighbors are such a blessing.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 04:47:02 PM »
That was nice of your neighbor.  Happy birthday!
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »
That's so nice.

Quesselin

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 03:13:26 AM »
What a great neighbor! How lucky you are.

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
What a lovely thing to do!  And a nice surprise "birthday present" too!

pryncsskittyn

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 08:27:42 PM »
What a wonderful thoughful thing to do...
I'm "the morning person" at my building (there are only 3 apartments and we're all close friends).  when I take DS out to the bus stop I clear the snow off everyones car and shovel the driveways if it isn't enough for the snow blower.  I've never received a thank you... so I can appreciate this woman and am thankful that some people do appreciate these things.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 08:39:34 PM »
What a wonderful thoughful thing to do...
I'm "the morning person" at my building (there are only 3 apartments and we're all close friends).  when I take DS out to the bus stop I clear the snow off everyones car and shovel the driveways if it isn't enough for the snow blower.  I've never received a thank you... so I can appreciate this woman and am thankful that some people do appreciate these things.

Trust me - this one got thanked. :)  She got a yummy piece of homemade birthday cake and a lot of "thank yous" that evening when she did it.

The next day, I got home too late to go by her place to tell her how wonderful it'd been to come out to a cleaned off car.  But, the next evening, I saw her out walking her dog, so I got to tell her then.

It really did mean so much to me, because it's something that I wasn't even thinking about.  Had I had to do it myself, it might have been dangerous with my leg injury.  We get ice and snow so infrequently here that it's not something that's on my mind.  She came from a cold place where they know they have to clean the cars off.  And, for her to be thinking, "DottyG's not going to be able to do this very easily.  I should go help her" means so much to me.

rosequilts

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
What a nice neighbour you have ... lucky lady!  You must be a very nice person as well to attract such great people :)