Author Topic: Thanksgiving Desserts  (Read 1248 times)

bah12

• Super Hero!
Thanksgiving Desserts
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:08:47 PM »
I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and am in the process of planning the menu, specifically the pies.

We all have different tastes in pies and to top it off, my father is diabetic and can't eat most of the desserts.  Instead of making three different pies for six people, one completely sugar free, I thought it might be a better idea to make a few mini-pies, so there will be a lot less left over.

Problem is, I don't have recipes for mini-pies and am not a good enough baker to attempt to adjust the recipes I have.  I want to make apple and pumkin, and I'd like to make one or two sugar-free.

Can anyone help?  I'd be eternally grateful. 

edenparadox

Re: Thanksgiving Desserts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »
Do you have a crust recipe?

For apple... I will give you my best tip. Use Macintosh apples, slice them, toss them with some cinnamon, brown sugar and lemon juice. Pile them in the crust and then smear a bit of jam on top - my favorite is apricot. If you want to do it sugar free, omit the sugar, use Splenda or honey or try tossing it with a sugar free jam.

Sugarless pumpkin pie probably won't work. It's based on flavor subtlety and relies on each flavor existing to make up the proper finish.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:16:54 PM »
Thank you!  I do have a crust recipe I can use for the apple pies...pumkin, I figured on graham crackers.

Do you know baking temp and time?  That's the part I'll mess up.

edenparadox

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:23:48 PM »
I'd guess 375 degrees. That usually works pretty well. As for time... Give it fifteen minutes then start checking. When it's golden brown, it's done.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:54:43 AM »
Pretty much any pie can be made into a tart, you just have to watch the oven carefully.  Bake the tarts when you have nothing else to do so you can keep an eye on things.  If you don't have a tart pan, use muffin tins or get the little foil thingies.  Test for doneness the same way you would with a full-size pie - tooth pick to the centre comes out clean. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year and am in the process of planning the menu, specifically the pies.

We all have different tastes in pies and to top it off, my father is diabetic and can't eat most of the desserts.  Instead of making three different pies for six people, one completely sugar free, I thought it might be a better idea to make a few mini-pies, so there will be a lot less left over.

Problem is, I don't have recipes for mini-pies and am not a good enough baker to attempt to adjust the recipes I have.  I want to make apple and pumkin, and I'd like to make one or two sugar-free.

Can anyone help?  I'd be eternally grateful. 

just a question - if your father is a diabetic, is he even allowed to have the fruit pie? even if it's sugar free? as far as i know, diabetics have to be careful with fruit too, and also carbs (the crust). and OTOH - my neice who has juvenile diabetes is allowed to have small portions of 'regular' desserts (she is on an insulin pump).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
My father does have to watch his fruit intake...but his diabetes is adult onset, so he controls it by controlling his weight and sugar intake, which I understand does include not eating too many fruits.  I know that he eats apples...about one a day.  That's another reason I thought the mini-pies would be a good idea...portion control for all of us :)

floridamom

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 02:06:07 AM »
here is a recipe that is very easy and you can change it around a bit to make it more diatetic.  My mom made this all the time for our family get togethers and including Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

1 1/2 package of instant Lemon pudding mix
1 1/2 package of 8 oz cream cheese (softned to room temp)
2 cups of cold milk

Whip the cream cheese and add milk then pudding w/hand held mixer.  Pour into ready graham cracker pie crust shells.  You can use the small individual ones also.  Garnish the top w/some sprinkled crushed graham crackers.  You can use the sugar free pudding and probably the fat free cream cheese and 1% or skim milk.  Though I'm not sure how it will taste;)  Only know the fatning way:)

ETA: forgot to mention chill for at least 6 hrs

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:13:21 AM by floridamom »

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 10:37:42 PM »
How about baked apples, without the crust? Peel and core some apples, stick them in a baking dish, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and bake until soft.  Works with pears, too.  I